Green Room

Did We Just Get Lectured on Fiscal Responsibility By the Guy With the $1.6 Trillion Budget Deficit?

posted at 10:08 am on February 3, 2010 by

null

For some reason I feel like Michael Moore just told me that I really need to eat more salads:

President Obama is catching heat from Nevada lawmakers and business leaders regarding his comments Tuesday criticizing trips to Las Vegas.

During the president’s town hall meeting in Nashua, New Hampshire, he discussed the need to curb spending during tough economic times. “When times are tough, you tighten your belts,” the president said. “You don’t go buying a boat when you can barely pay your mortgage. You don’t blow a bunch of cash on Vegas when you’re trying to save for college.”

The Obama administration’s $3.8 trillion budget projects a $1.6 trillion deficit in the current fiscal year due in part to enormous pork projects, “stimulus” scams and entitlement programs — not to mention $237 million to buy an Illinois prison so terrorists can be closer to us (how thoughtful) — and I’m getting lectured about buying a f—–g boat?

The guy with six-figure “date nights” with a wife who wears $2,700 coats and $540 sneakers who said we all need to “sacrifice for the next generation” says we shouldn’t be spending the night at Caesars Palace to try to recover some of the money he’s losing us?

And what’s with this “don’t go to Vegas when you’re financially hurting” kick? Obama’s own budget is loaded with gambles. For example, Obama’s new budget assumes passage of the health care bill. Talk about a big gamble! The odds of winning big at a Vegas slot machine are better than Obamacare passing in its proposed form.

But of course if health care doesn’t pass and the deficit balloons as a result of the budget being all out of whack, it’ll be your fault because you opposed it. Well, yours and Bush’s.

Usually I like to see a little more populism in my populists.

Closing thought: So, Obama’s trying to help get Harry Reid re-elected in Nevada by telling people they shouldn’t be spending their money in his state? Good luck with that. We’re witnessing the Obama Curse claiming another victim right before our eyes.

Update: Obama’s really making pals fast out there. Nevada’s Governor: “Doesn’t President Obama know that thousands of families in Las Vegas are suffering because of his failed economic policies?”

The Mayor of Las Vegas talks about Obama’s visit later this month to campaign for Reid: “I’ll do everything I can to give him the boot back to Washington.”

Read all about it in Obama’s next book, “How to Lose Friends and Influence People to Vote Against You.”

Update II: Obama has given up on telling people how to spend their money and is instead telling them how to spend their time:

President Obama’s back is against the wall, so he’s getting in touch with his inner Agnew, hitting the neo-nattering nabobs of cable and the net.

“If we could just — excuse the press — turn off the cameras,” he told Democratic Senators at their annual retreat. “Turn off your CNN, your FOX, your MSNBC, your blogs, turn off this echo chamber … where the topic is politics. … We’ve got to get out of the echo chamber. That was a mistake I made last year – not getting out of here [Washington].”

I’m going to take that advice too… that should free up some time so I can go buy a boat and plane tickets to Las Vegas.

Cross-posted at DougPowers.com

Twitter @ThePowersThatBe

Recently in the Green Room:

Comments

To answer the title question, yes we did. And I find it very irritating. Obama has more chutzpah than the kid in the classic joke who kills his parents and then asks for mercy because he’s an orphan.

jwolf on February 3, 2010 at 10:48 AM

I am seriously begining to wonder about this guys sanity. Is he bi-polar? Schitzo? Have a twin brother locked in a closet somewhere?

Is mental incapacity an impeachable offense?

percysunshine on February 3, 2010 at 11:30 AM

Revenue from cap & tax, and assumptions about lower unemployment are also included in zero’s budget. From his comments about Vegas, I doubt any D will ask him to come and help them get reelected. Now do you understand why they make him use the teleprompter almost all the time.

Kissmygrits on February 3, 2010 at 11:39 AM

jwolf on February 3, 2010 at 10:48 AM

I believe that Obama is quite principled. He is the most grotesque Marxist-Alinskyite-Cloward-Pivenesque figure to ever enter “public service” (yes those are mocking quotes) in the history of our republic, but he’s not crazy or stupid. If he was stupid, he wouldn’t be so dangerous.

gryphon202 on February 3, 2010 at 11:43 AM

That idiot in Zimbabwe is principled, too. We are headed the same direction.

jodetoad on February 3, 2010 at 12:54 PM

I don’t need to worry about throwing my money away–Obama is going to do it for me.

jeanie on February 3, 2010 at 1:32 PM

“We’ve got to get out of the echo chamber. That was a mistake I made last year – not getting out of here [Washington].”

What the hell? He’s never in Washington! He runs around the country lecturing the peasantry and announcing billion-dollar programs that will benefit no one but favored companies that will get those no-bid contracts. If he stayed home for a week and didn’t say a word publicly, the stock market would probably skyrocket.

doppelganglander on February 3, 2010 at 1:58 PM

He’s back in never left campaign mode.

search4truth on February 3, 2010 at 3:27 PM

Obama wants Reid to go down so he can have Dick Turbin put in Reid’s place.

Harry is toast.

Buckeye Babe on February 3, 2010 at 6:29 PM

Fixing crime in America is a complicated issue

Taylor Millard Jun 23, 2017 8:31 PM
Top Pick

Cops alone won’t solve it.

Top Pick

Democrats forgot all about the “era of good feelings”

“Bernie and Jane Sanders have lawyered up.”

Winning isn’t everything. It is the only thing

Trump signs VA reform bill into law

John Sexton Jun 23, 2017 2:41 PM

A new era of something.

“…died suddenly in less than a week just after his return to the U.S.”

The shortsightedness of “Denounce and Preserve”

Taylor Millard Jun 23, 2017 12:11 PM

Pragmatism for the sake of pragmatism doesn’t always work.

Perhaps if you threw in a new car?

Gay marriages still growing, but not as fast

Andrew Malcolm Jun 23, 2017 10:31 AM

More, but not as quickly.

Should’ve stuck with the pirate gig. It was working for him

The battle for the rubble of Raqqa is underway

Andrew Malcolm Jun 23, 2017 8:51 AM

Won’t be much left.

Your list of demands is a publicity stunt

“The jobs are still leaving. Nothing has stopped.”

Bad vendor. Bad! No cookie!

“So you want me to sing my praises, is that what you’re saying?”

Why would we possibly want that?

“I mean he sold our country to The Russians.”

I could think of someone else you might want to ask about…

Trump: I never made any recordings of Comey

Allahpundit Jun 22, 2017 2:01 PM

Bluff.

Hackers stole private data from election databases

John Sexton Jun 22, 2017 1:21 PM

Failure to protect the city

Big man on the Middle Eastern campus

Biased Americans see media as biased.

Tough times down on the liberal ranch

Will Nancy Pelosi survive this latest Dem disaster?

Andrew Malcolm Jun 22, 2017 8:41 AM

Eat quick, before it’s gone.

Slow your roll, boss

“I’m bothered by the lack of emerging evidence…”

FIrst look at the Senate health bill

John Sexton Jun 21, 2017 9:21 PM