Green Room

Does this sound familiar?

posted at 4:06 pm on January 27, 2010 by

ipad

So everyone’s busting a nut over the IPad. Let me see if I have got the facts straight here…

- It doesn’t do anything we can’t already do with netbooks, notebooks, the IPhone itself, Samsung/Motorola/HTC touchscreen smartphones. It boasts word processing and spreadsheets…something we’ve been able to do with any computer for 25 years. Ultimately, it’s a rehash of capabilities we already have.

- It costs a fortune. The fully-equipped model is over eight c-notes. For that price, you could pick up two or three netbooks that do the same crap. There’s plenty of other alternatives that cost far less, but we’re dazzled by the lofty notion that Apple is somehow better…and it’s nothing but advertising.

- It was built by a cult figure. Steve Jobs is worshipped by his company and customers as a sort of savior. They think he is The One. They think he is the one we’ve been waiting for. He inspires hope…and change.

obama cult pin up

Anyone up for an Apple Cider Party?

Recently in the Green Room:

Comments

It’s also a CLOSED Apple only system … ugh.

That did it for me.

tarpon on January 27, 2010 at 4:41 PM

I’d like to see what the other companies (i.e. Google) make in response. In 2 or 3 years there might be some really great next-generation tablet PCs on the market.

joe_doufu on January 27, 2010 at 4:51 PM

joe_doufu on January 27, 2010 at 4:51 PM

And the virulent iPad naysayers (ahem) will predictably laud *those* products, I suspect. ;)

“iPod? Boo!” *buys some other make of mp3 player that tries to mimic the iPod*

“iPhone? Boo!” *buys some other make of cellphone that tries to mimic the iPhone*

“iPad? Boo!” *etc, etc*

Midas on January 27, 2010 at 5:02 PM

Midas on January 27, 2010 at 5:02 PM

…um…except that tablet PCs have been around for years. The iPad isn’t an innovation.

MadisonConservative on January 27, 2010 at 5:05 PM

Tablet PCs are a joke, they don’t sell because they crash. Why? Because 99.9 percent of viruses are written for Windows systems.
Netbooks were touted for those who travel and only need to check email, surf the web, etc. So why did the manufacturers just make a small laptop? Cuz they have no new ideas.

Steve Jobs and Apple have consistently produced products which a) don’t crash, hence the closed system b) use an OS that spans ALL its products for years c0 simply works.

The new device WON”T appeal to everyone. Thats a given. It is directed for those who travel, spend time away from a desk and really only need to check email, surf the web, watch movies etc. EXCEPT they put it in an interesting package.

Too expensive. Yeah, for PC users. I’m writing this on a MacBook Pro, have a Mac Pro downstairs for video editing, and have every Mac I’ve ever owned since my Apple II in 1985. They all still boot up and work perfectly. How many 24 year old PCs you got layin’ around that still work perfectly.

Yes, my MacBook was twice the price of a PC notebook with similar specs but will outlast the PC, perform flawlessly and is simply a better product.
Those that defend dependability of ANY PC over a Mac product are simply misguided and they usually admit they’ve never tried a Mac.

This isn’t a rant, I’m forced to use a PC at work, hate it, crashes once a week, constant “fixes” and “security patches” being installed. Its 5 months old.
I understand just like there are liberals who, for all intents and purposes, just can’t understand why anyone could be a conservative, the same outlook exists in the computer world.
Midas is right, copycats will be out soon and wildly lauded, while Apple continues to outsell, out-innovate and, as Jobs said, work better.

redneckjoe on January 27, 2010 at 5:16 PM

MadisonConservative on January 27, 2010 at 5:05 PM

…um… only if you henceforth declare that anything shaped/sized like something that already exists cannot possibly be innovative, regardless of, you know, actual functionality.

Look, I’m a die-hard PC guy with one narrow exception for hard disk digital audio recording. 99% of the beef against Apple products, however, comes across as some kind of simple, unreasoned hatred.

Take the Kindle – what does it do that other eReaders that have been around forever don’t already do? And it’s this new, wonderful, omigosh-gotta-have-it thing. Because – it does do something that you could get elsewhere, but does it better, differently, with enhanced functionality, etc. Personally I wouldn’t buy one because I wouldn’t get enough use out of it.

iPad seems the same, to me. A lot of folks are going to look at it and prefer it to a Kindle, to a tablet PC, to a netbook, etc. And a lot of folks won’t.

It seems like observations like that can be made without the hatred of the item, the company, it’s CEO, comparisons to cult leaders, etc – all of which serve to undermine the writer more than the unit/technology/company/etc.

*shrug*

Midas on January 27, 2010 at 5:20 PM

Dude. That first graphic is some awesome parody. LOL

inviolet on January 27, 2010 at 5:28 PM

There are so many misnomers in redneckjoe’s post I don’t even know where to begin.

I suggest your office hire an IT staff person to fix what you’ve done wrong to your PC though, because my PC– which is older than my son, mind you– has never, evah crashed and we only install updates once every several months.

Do some reading on how long the average iPhone works properly, and how difficult it is to get customer service to do anything to replace it.

RachDubya on January 27, 2010 at 6:08 PM

Dude. That first graphic is some awesome parody. LOL

inviolet on January 27, 2010 at 5:28 PM

+5 LOL

Robert17 on January 27, 2010 at 7:23 PM

It’s a giant iPod Touch. That’s all it is, and, frankly, isn’t a revolution in and of itself.

The simple fact that it cannot multi-task (proper multi-tasking, and not just multi-tasking in Apple’s developed programs) is one of the major back-breakers for me. There are others, but I won’t go over them–especially with the rabid Apple Fanboys lingering about (just fyi, I do own an iPhone, iPod, and have OS X on my netbook.)

I was anticipating a Macbook without the physical keyboard, but they seem to think the iPhone OS is better than their Mac OS X.

As it currently stands, it’s just a $500 iTunes interface and console, and not worth it. I’ll wait a few generations to see if they change it any, otherwise I’ll be sticking with my MSI Wind netbook until a better computing tablet comes out.

Enoxo on January 27, 2010 at 7:28 PM

Enoxo on January 27, 2010 at 7:28 PM

Those are good points. It also has no external battery, or battery replacement ability. It has no USB interface, though you can put other types of external ports on it – which cost more. It doesn’t multi-task, which is a problem. No ‘Flash’ – which is an issue for some on Mac (Apple) systems. The OS should be different than the iPhone.

If Apple upgrade this product and ‘fixes’ some of it’s problems, it would be an awesome product though, IMO.

I just purchased an iMac after working on and owning PC’s for twenty years. I don’t get into a lot of things others do with their PC’s. Most of my PC use now is for blogging, surfing the net and writing. Either system can do this, but there is something to be said for customer service.

I looked for a replacement system for months. I looked at all kinds of PC’s and Mac’s – laptops, desktops, netbooks, etc. Why did I settle on the Mac?

I bought a new laptop for my son a few weeks before I bought my iMac. Bought it at Best Buy, an HP model (don’t remember which one). The thing which stood out to me was out of the half a dozen ‘customer service’ folks we dealt with, none of them knew as much or more about PC systems than my son does. That’s a problem to me. They were also more interested in selling additional service plans and adding fees for installing software than in selling a system itself.

A few weeks later, I went out to the Apple store (here in San Antonio). I’d been there several times, looking at systems, get info (as I had at several stores looking for PC’s), and one time buying an iTouch for my daughter for Christmas. Everytime I went out there, the staff were friendly and knowledgeable. Once I figured out what I wanted and went to get the iMac, I was in and out of the store in less than ten minutes. Didn’t have to stand in a checkout line, everything was done on the floor with the staff member.

I bought the iWorks software to do writing with on the iMac. It cost half as much as the basic Microsoft Office software suite. Half. And they discounted the software when I bought the computer. The original price was $79.99. After the discount, it cost me, basically forty bucks. I looked online, MO cost $159.99.

I have had no problems in the month I’ve had the computer. No popups – at all – while surfing the net. No virus warnings. Installing the software (iWorks and later MacSpeech Dictate) was easier than anything I’ve ever done on a PC – it didn’t take forever.

The wireless keyboard with the iMac has great feel and ‘action’. The ‘magic mouse’, which operates through a ‘touch’ interface is awesome. The iMac is an all-in-one computer – there is one cord (the power cord) coming out of the computer. It’s a simple package.

I’ve watched a few ‘Mac’ documentaries and specials on CNBC over the last few weeks where they go into much detail about Apple the company and talk about ‘the cult of Mac’. It is a bit weird some of the attachment some have to Apple products, especially Mac’s. That being said, I have no less attachment to the first deer rifle my folks bought me when I was a kid.

In my experience, Apple products are neat and innovative, though expensive (or more expensive) than something comparable. But you get what you pay for and, like I said, there is something to be said for customer service.

catmman on January 28, 2010 at 9:35 AM