A Futile Constitutional Exercise, But a Nice Shibboleth Nonetheless
posted at 6:01 pm on January 22, 2010 by Dafydd ab Hugh
I would love to see Republicans in House and Senate propose the following amendment to the United States Constitution; it’s short, simple, and substantive:
The rights, liberties, privileges, and immunities protected by this Constitution shall apply only to United States citizens and legally resident or visiting aliens, not found to have taken up arms against the United States of America.
I’m not deluded enough to think it would find even a majority in either chamber, let alone the two-thirds necessary to move it to the state legislatures. But at the very least, I would love to see Democrats squirm as they’re forced by the Left to vote against it.
I want to hear their arguments, as they ponder the looming elections, why we should extend the Constitution to cover both illegal aliens and enemy combatants. And I’ll bet their positions will further alienate them from Republicans and Independents, and even from quite a few patriotic Democrats.
Cross-posted on Big Lizards…
Recently in the Green Room:
- Two House Dems demand Lerner resignation after using lobbyist to stage modified limited hangout
- Feelgood video of the day
- New liberal idea: Let’s raise $660 million online in a month to buy the LA Times before the Koch brothers can
- Of Course It Troubles Me. Are You Kidding Me?
- Friendly reminder from the White House about ObamaCare: “It’s. The. Law.”