The liberal reaction to Scott Brown’s victory
posted at 10:58 pm on January 19, 2010 by Cassy Fiano
Today we saw an epic upset. We saw a Massachusetts miracle. Scott Brown, a relatively unknown moderate Republican, took on Martha Coakley and the Democrat establishment, and won. Scott Brown won with almost no help from the national GOP. Martha Coakley lost with the Democratic Party behind her all the way, with even Barack Obama campaigning for her.
It wasn’t enough, and Scott Brown will be the next senator of Massachusetts. Martha Coakley thought it was the Ted Kennedy seat, that it belonged to the Democrats and to her. Scott Brown believed it was the people’s seat, and the people chose him instead of yet another big spending, politics-as-usual, corrupt Democratic politician. It didn’t help Coakley that she ran the worst campaign in I don’t even know how long, either.
This has changed everything. It will rock Democrats to their very core.
Just how shaken are they, though? I decided to do a little round up of the liberal reaction to Scott Brown’s win in Massachusetts, and… well, it ain’t pretty.
First up, even film critic Roger Ebert, who has nothing to do with politics whatsoever, decided to make a run for the “Best Sore Loser” award. Michelle has the screencap:
Next, I checked the comments over at the Huffington Post. Needless to say, they weren’t too happy either.
- kellym33: Yay! The party of teabags and Michael Steele and Sarah Palin wins Ted Kennedy’s seat. Mass voted in someone who’s only platform is to be sure to say no along with the rest of the repubs. I didn’t really think it possible to dumb down such a large population of a pretty enlightened state, guess I was wrong.
- oneputtsteven: To all the libs who stayed home in protest. Now you’ve done it. It’s going to be like the scene in Ghostbusters when all the demons and ghosts get released except all the damage will be REAL and it WON”T be funny.
- dollbaby: Make no doubt that this is the gist of what happenend today: This guy was funded by the tea party lobbtist and republicans (secretly). This was a big money play to shut down healthcare and the democratic agenda by insurance companies and corporate America.
- AlanPittsburgh: I think all you crazy rethugs are using THE math of Karl Rove when you start fortune-telling based on this election result.
- msgirlintn: It’s unbelieveable that the citizens of MA have elected a nude, Cosmo Centerfold, teabbager that thinks he is JFK to the same seat in the Senate where Jack and Teddy Kennedy sat. I realize that the Coakley camp ran a bad campaign. But the fair-weather dems that stayed home (or worse yet voted for Brown) because they didn’t get the perfect healthcare bill that they thought they should get. Nevermind your neighbor across the street has their perfect bill in mind also (and both perfect bills probably are not the same) By staying home you might as well have voted for Brown. Shame on you. Now all of the President’s agenda is going to be threatened a little more with a teabagger in the Senate. Congratulations. I hope you are really happy with the choice you made. ANd to the fair weather dems in other states, MA is a fine example of it could happen to you too.
- dokbob: Apparently, some people in Massachusetts swore a pact to the devil and the devil said “okay, it’s a deal.”
There were plenty more, including one commenter who — amazingly — complained that Scott Brown doesn’t have the “proper” Massachusetts dialect.
Of course, the HuffPos were better behaved than the DUmmies:
- BluDemocratGirl: F*ck the GOP, Ignorant Teabagging Fools, and the Independent Voters who stood up with that pathietic, porn star-wannabe bastard. Mrs. Coakley’s campaign could’ve been stronger, but she ran it down to the drain. I’m pissed ’cause now the health care reform is now in jeopardy!
- Joe the Liberal: It absolutely sickens me… to see this solid blue state have some sleazeball, degenerate, scumbag filth republican as their “representative”. I’m even more sickened and disgusted to see Ted’s seat, that he held for decades on end go to this piece of garbage, cookie cutter, bottom feeding, dirtbag republican.
- Odin2005: Another STOLEN election.
- Akoto: Teddy must be rolling in his grave right now.
- DainBramaged: All of you RePUKElican lurkers can go f*ck yourselves one race. F*ck you.You have NO F*CKING ONE to run against Obama in 2012 so go f*ck yourselves.
- AndyA: If sanity is a right wing, bigoted, homophobic Nazi, well…yes I guess there will be sanity. Pretty faces often hide monsters within.
- TwixVoy: They are chanting like Nazis at his victory rally. Chilling. A glimpse of things to come.
The Kossacks aren’t too thrilled about this, either.
- nutmeg: Repugs Will filibuster EVERYTHING just out of spite. That’s just who they are. Who can I see about getting the part of my brain that cares about politics lobotomized?
- MHB: What we’re witnessing is the product of a corrupt media and a dumb, distractable electorate. I’m not sure that anything can be done at this point, but one thing I am sure of is that continuing to operate on the premise that the majority of Americans are reasonable, intelligent people who will do the right thing if the facts are presented to them objectively is not going to work. I know that it’s not what most people who come to this site want to hear, but most Americans need to be manipulated into doing the right thing. Reasoning with them might be the morally correct thing to do, but is simply not going to get the job done.
- eXtina: Coakley should be ashamed of herself for allowing Ted Kennedy’s seat to go to not just a Republican, but a teabagger for God’s sake. What a tragic, tragic, ending to his 50 year legacy.
- berkshireblue: So true…MA is an educated state if the campaign SB ran worked here what does this say for the rest of the country. The guy had a completely undistinguished and ineffectual record in the state senate-all of his jobs were in the public sector (thought Repugs HATED that), he ran on being a regular, good looking truck driving guy a la Bush. He didn’t pretend to be smart, a la Palin. That it worked in MA tells me a lot about the average voter and it ain’t pretty.
- maxnyc: what a disgrace after that f*cking four days of truly sad mourning for ted that these assholes–in MA and the white house allowed this to happen! im so happy he is not here to see his legacy trashed by the election of this scum
- fasteddie9318: The real loser here was the entire country But, given how we’ve all allowed the pitchfork-wielding idiocracy to take the country over in the past year, we deserve it.
Like I said, Scott Brown’s victory has sent shockwaves through the Democratic party. It’s also fired up Republicans and independents. The repercussions from this race will be felt throughout the rest of the year, especially come election season. Democrats thought Massachusetts was bad?
Just wait until we take back California.
Recently in the Green Room: