posted at 3:39 pm on January 15, 2010 by Dafydd ab Hugh
Could this be the magic “exit strategy” for the Democrats to extract themselves from mounting voter opposition to ObamaCare from all sides? Here is my late-night, bleary-eyed scenario:
- The Democrats deliberately drag out discussions on the House-Senate compromise bill.
- They hope and pray that Republican Scott Brown beats Democrat Martha Coakley in the Massachusetts senatorial election. (Actually, the Democratic Senatorial Campaign Committee can ensure Coakley’s defeat by forcing her to campaign where voters can see her, rather than in smoke-filled rooms with lobbyists.)
- Assuming Brown wins, the DSCC could lean hard on Massachusetts election officials to certify the election ASAP; if necessary, a couple of SEIU mafiosi can sit on Coakley’s head until certification, to prevent her from trying to sue her way into the U.S. Senate.
- After certification and Brown’s official seating in the Senate, congressional Democrats quickly finish the bill and submit it to the full Senate.
- Scott Brown makes good his threat to vote against cloture, becoming the 41st and determinative vote.
- The bill dies, everybody’s face is saved — “We did everything we could! It’s those darned Republicans!” — and Democrats can spend 2010 bemoaning the “obstructionist” GOP, rather than having to defend a government-run health-care scheme that everybody hates, Left and Right alike.
It’s a win-win scenario! I wonder if the majority is already considering it?
Impishly cross-posted on Big Lizards…
Recently in the Green Room: