Green Room

David Brooks Thinks That Song Is About Him

posted at 2:29 pm on January 5, 2010 by

I realize it’s early in the year to declare him the winner, but if this column doesn’t win it for him, David Brooks is at least a serious contender for Upper Class Twit of the Year.  I do give him credit for his self-restraint.  Perhaps I’m channeling his colleague MoDo here, but “fair or not” I saw the unwritten word “teabagger” in that column.  I’m guessing he used Find and Replace to swap “teagger” out with “tea party” before submitting it.  And I’m not sure, but I think I saw “bourgeoisie” and “proletarian,” too.

The public is not only shifting from left to right. Every single idea associated with the educated class has grown more unpopular over the past year.

The educated class believes in global warming, so…

The educated class supports abortion rights, so…

The educated class supports gun control, so…

The educated class is internationalist, so…

The educated class believes in multilateral action, so…

…so the great unwashed is against those policies.  Just because David Brooks and the rest of the, um, “educated class” is for them.  There is absolutely no other reason to oppose those policies except a national temper tantrum against our rightful overlords.  Just admit it, folks, and let’s go sit in the corner for our time out.

Hey, it was about time for another “poor, uneducated and easy to command” moment from our educated class arrogant, elitist jackass class.  David Brooks probably thinks that song is about him, too.

Crossposted.

Recently in the Green Room:

Comments

David Brooks is at least a serious contender for Upper Class Twit of the Year

I think that he has to run himself over to qualify, if memory serves.

Physics Geek on January 5, 2010 at 2:38 PM

I think that he has to run himself over to qualify, if memory serves.

Physics Geek on January 5, 2010 at 2:38 PM

Doesn’t *have* to (but we’d award him bonus points for style).

I do believe they are required to shoot themselves at the end.

Midas on January 5, 2010 at 3:43 PM

Headline of the Year! LMAO.

rockmom on January 5, 2010 at 3:49 PM

How is Brooks relevant to anything?

I’m serious. What makes up his credibility?

Has he got any serious business experience?
Did he, perhaps, run for elected office?
Has he run a government agency for another administration?

As far as I can tell, he’s done jack to build cred, other than writing opinion pieces and books – and the lack of real life experience seems to really be hurting him, now that the times are not normal.

Mew

acat on January 5, 2010 at 4:17 PM

I hate to admit it, but I can’t even be bothered to dig up Brook’s bio. I have no idea what he thinks qualifies him as one of our new overlords (which, I admit, he doesn’t claim outright but it sure is implied…). Nor do I care, really. The policies he’s cheerleading are so stupid that the fact that he’s espousing them is all I need to know.

Laura on January 5, 2010 at 7:14 PM

Thanks for the GREAT reminder of the Flying Circus days. LMAO.

Robert17 on January 5, 2010 at 8:37 PM

Am I the only one who bristles at the phrase “educated class”? Especially the implication that if you’re educated then automatically you’ll be liberal?

Steven Den Beste on January 5, 2010 at 9:15 PM

Steven, no, that educated class nonsense annoyed me too. But then I perhaps am a little sensitive about the concept that – having written 17 software manuals & designed courseware for Fortune 500 clients and run a successful small business for years before deciding to go Galt – my lack of a degree somehow disqualifies me from having a say in how the country should be run.

David Brooks can stick his “educated class” where the sun doesn’t shine.

Laura on January 5, 2010 at 11:46 PM

The only reason academics exist is because the producers produce a surplus. If Brooks and his fellow twits had to pave their own roads, unclog their own toilets, produce own food and defend their own domiciles they’d be dead already. It amkes you wonder what it is he has to feel so superior about.

Mr Snuggle Bunny on January 6, 2010 at 7:08 AM

Of course, Brooks is on the outside looking in. Possessing only a BA in History he doesn’t qualify, in my opinion as I have an AA, BS, BS, MS and MLA degree, he just trieds to associate with his betters, he’s not one of us. Guess I am not either as I own numerous firearms, drive a pick up truck, and even drink beer.

Rockman44 on January 6, 2010 at 4:26 PM

I nominate Steven Den Beste to be promoted to the Green Room.

I used to read your stuff, man! Outstanding work…..

BlameAmericaLast on January 6, 2010 at 4:55 PM

Top Pick

Will they stay or will they go?

Top Pick

I can’t imagine what I was thinking when I said that

Rocking the boat majorly

Big government never contracts. It only grows more powerful

It’s only a “ban” until it becomes inconvenient

The decline and fall of Obamacare and the AHCA

Jazz Shaw Jun 24, 2017 8:31 AM

This was all over before it began

Fixing crime in America is a complicated issue

Taylor Millard Jun 23, 2017 8:31 PM

Cops alone won’t solve it.

Democrats forgot all about the “era of good feelings”

“Bernie and Jane Sanders have lawyered up.”

Winning isn’t everything. It is the only thing

Trump signs VA reform bill into law

John Sexton Jun 23, 2017 2:41 PM

A new era of something.

“…died suddenly in less than a week just after his return to the U.S.”

The shortsightedness of “Denounce and Preserve”

Taylor Millard Jun 23, 2017 12:11 PM

Pragmatism for the sake of pragmatism doesn’t always work.

Perhaps if you threw in a new car?

Gay marriages still growing, but not as fast

Andrew Malcolm Jun 23, 2017 10:31 AM

More, but not as quickly.

Should’ve stuck with the pirate gig. It was working for him

The battle for the rubble of Raqqa is underway

Andrew Malcolm Jun 23, 2017 8:51 AM

Won’t be much left.

Your list of demands is a publicity stunt

“The jobs are still leaving. Nothing has stopped.”

Bad vendor. Bad! No cookie!

“So you want me to sing my praises, is that what you’re saying?”

Why would we possibly want that?

“I mean he sold our country to The Russians.”

I could think of someone else you might want to ask about…

Trump: I never made any recordings of Comey

Allahpundit Jun 22, 2017 2:01 PM

Bluff.

Hackers stole private data from election databases

John Sexton Jun 22, 2017 1:21 PM

Failure to protect the city

Big man on the Middle Eastern campus