Green Room

What I Want for Christmas

posted at 9:24 am on December 23, 2009 by

I don’t celebrate Christmas, though I certainly envy those who do. As a child I felt I was missing out on the experience of gleefully trundling downstairs on Christmas morning to see what Santa had left me. Of course, living in a neighborhood where 99 percent of the households were Jewish, I suppose I didn’t think about it that often.

What brought this to mind this year was the announcement yesterday by Alabama congressman Parker Griffith that he was jumping ship from the Democrat to the Republican Party. I got to thinking: What if the good congressman had been instead a good senator? What a fabulous early Christmas present that would be! Can you imagine the look on Harry Reid’s face if some Democrat senator were to announce today that he was inspired by the actions of Parker Griffith and that he too is switching party allegiances? Or better still, tomorrow morning, when the vote on passage of the Senate version of the bill is scheduled to take place, imagine the sweet irony of some senator making the announcement that he had suffered pangs of conscience and would be voting against this dreaded piece of legislation. Why, ol’ Harry might drop dead on the spot, at which point a fierce battle would erupt among the 18,000 devils to whom he bartered his soul to get this deal done.

As to those Democrats who claim that Parker Griffith’s “defection” was cynical and politically motivated — much like Arlen Specter’s — I suggest they stuff it in their Christmas stockings. Switching from the majority to minority party is an act of courage, something Democrats will never understand.

Recently in the Green Room:

Comments

You mean that Senator Reid still has a soul??? (look of major astonishment). I thought that he was one of the tempters here to help the devil destroy the country and not one of the tempted.

sabbahillel on December 23, 2009 at 9:43 AM

I don’t think it was such a big act of courage. He knows that the dems are about to become the minority party.

Daggett on December 23, 2009 at 11:01 AM

Happy Hanukkah, Howard, and Merry Christmas!

Rosmerta on December 23, 2009 at 11:43 AM

Thank you, Rosmerta, and same to you!

Howard Portnoy on December 23, 2009 at 2:59 PM

Rosmerta,
Ditto!
My Christmas wish several weeks ago was for this horrible bill to fail. That is ALL I want for Christmas. I pray there are those in dc who might have one tiny bit of sanity and take their oath when they were sworn in to defend our Constitution. This bho, team, and most of the d’s have done all they can do to crater our Republic in less than a year. I will not giving up praying to God that He will give these people insight.
L

letget on December 23, 2009 at 3:03 PM

Top Pick

Will they stay or will they go?

Top Pick

I can’t imagine what I was thinking when I said that

Rocking the boat majorly

Big government never contracts. It only grows more powerful

It’s only a “ban” until it becomes inconvenient

The decline and fall of Obamacare and the AHCA

Jazz Shaw Jun 24, 2017 8:31 AM

This was all over before it began

Fixing crime in America is a complicated issue

Taylor Millard Jun 23, 2017 8:31 PM

Cops alone won’t solve it.

Democrats forgot all about the “era of good feelings”

“Bernie and Jane Sanders have lawyered up.”

Winning isn’t everything. It is the only thing

Trump signs VA reform bill into law

John Sexton Jun 23, 2017 2:41 PM

A new era of something.

“…died suddenly in less than a week just after his return to the U.S.”

The shortsightedness of “Denounce and Preserve”

Taylor Millard Jun 23, 2017 12:11 PM

Pragmatism for the sake of pragmatism doesn’t always work.

Perhaps if you threw in a new car?

Gay marriages still growing, but not as fast

Andrew Malcolm Jun 23, 2017 10:31 AM

More, but not as quickly.

Should’ve stuck with the pirate gig. It was working for him

The battle for the rubble of Raqqa is underway

Andrew Malcolm Jun 23, 2017 8:51 AM

Won’t be much left.

Your list of demands is a publicity stunt

“The jobs are still leaving. Nothing has stopped.”

Bad vendor. Bad! No cookie!

“So you want me to sing my praises, is that what you’re saying?”

Why would we possibly want that?

“I mean he sold our country to The Russians.”

I could think of someone else you might want to ask about…

Trump: I never made any recordings of Comey

Allahpundit Jun 22, 2017 2:01 PM

Bluff.

Hackers stole private data from election databases

John Sexton Jun 22, 2017 1:21 PM

Failure to protect the city

Big man on the Middle Eastern campus