Dreaming Of An Obama Christmas Party
posted at 5:24 pm on December 8, 2009 by Danny Glover
The White House is throwing two politically correct “holiday parties” for the press, and so many journalists want to go that President Obama’s flacks are forfeiting their tickets so their buddies in the Fourth Estate can attend.
Reporters hounded staffers with Facebook messages, e-mails and phone calls seeking invites to the two soirees. Some would-be partiers were polite, but others “made angry demands,” our tipster says.
Overwhelmed, staffers decided to give up the festivities themselves. … Press Secretary Robert Gibbs is still likely to attend the events, each of which have invite lists of 225 people (a number that could rise to keep up with the clamor, we hear).
Reporters who actually cover the White House note that most of the coveted tickets are being eaten up by their “big bosses” — high-level producers and editors, many of whom work in New York — meaning that the party will likely be filled by people who usually don’t even set foot inside the press room.
Funny, I don’t remember stories about journalists begging, cajoling and badgering to get tickets to White House Christmas parties while George W. Bush was president. I wonder if Jon Meacham of Newsweek will attend Obama’s shindig in honor of the man he sees as a god.
[Cross-posted at Accuracy In Media]
Recently in the Green Room:
- Real question: Does Obama’s budget fund overseas abortions to protect endangered animals?
- Photo of the day: Crimea now belongs to Russia, at least on Russian propaganda TV
- Vatican: Pope Francis wasn’t talking about same-sex relationships; Update: “Civil unions” explained
- RNC ad: Crying infant greets Obama’s new debt-laden budget
- Update: Grayson dismisses ‘erratic’ wife after abuse allegation