What the Right Hand Giveth…
posted at 7:05 am on December 2, 2009 by Dafydd ab Hugh
…the left hand taketh away.
At first, I was going to keep a scorecard of the strategic questions the president needs to answer, so we will have some idea of what strategy President Barack “Lucky Lefty” Obama plans to implement.
But the speech turned out to be so lacking in essential detail that I can’t answer any of ‘em. This exercise in parroting the TOTUS seems vague but is in fact meaningless.
Then I thought maybe I could fisk it; but no, that’s redundant. It fisks itself:
- The fuzzy, foggy flood of flatulent fatuity;
- The whiny blame-it-on-Bush segments;
- The unfocused jumping from one topic to another — from Afghanistan, to a brief revisionist history of the world since 2001, to the failed eight years of the previous administration, to Afghanistan (again), to the economy, to yawn-inducing self congratulation;
- The rambling and blathering at the end, as he recounted his drive up the California coastline — oh, wait, that was a different blather. This one was… I can’t remember, something about Franklin Roosevelt and how good things really were in the 1930s;
- The nervous, tepid, semi-applause (I presume the “Applesauce” light lit up), the thin, grim lips on the cadets’ mouths, the cadets who looked as though they were drifting off to the Land of Nod.
I thought to note the terrible message this sends to our allies and enemas alike: That the danger posed by al-Qaeda and the Taliban is so great, it threatens the entire world… and that we intend to end that threat, once and for all — all of a year and a half!
No, all our readers already know all that.
Then what about the Washington insiders enthusing about the wonderful “politics” of the speech, how the One successfully placated all the different sides that matter to him: The moderate Left, the Left, and the extreme Left:
I watched President Obama’s speech at West Point and thought it was a pretty good political speech.
That’s not entirely correct. I thought it was a very good political speech….
Remember, Obama has to protect himself from his own left. House Democrats have all but declared war on Obama’s War [the Washington Post’s phrase, not mine], Michael Moore took out a full page ad in advance of the speech to announce his opposition, and the MoveOn.org and Pink Slip organizations are threatening to… be really, really, angry.
By contrast, I think this is the limpest speech I have ever seen or heard Obama deliver, for all the reasons quoted above. This isn’t going to move the meter one angstrom, not on presidential job approval, Afghanistan-war conduct approval, nor even the president’s gravitas and leadership — at least not positively. I can easily see the speech so turning off the electorate that Obama manages to dig a sub-basement into the hole he has already dug.
So what the heck; consider this my contribution to the literature of oraculars from the Obamacle. I can’t write any more; I’m already nodding off from ennui, just like those poor cadets.
Cross-posted on Big Lizards…
Recently in the Green Room: