Green Room

An Unlikely Palinista

posted at 11:47 am on November 24, 2009 by

In January of 2008, many months before Sarah Palin would explode onto the national scene, I was pondering the chances of my dream choice for the next president, Hilary Clinton. Clinton had been in my heart since 2000 and I boldly told anyone who would listen that she would triumphantly return to the White House in eight years. Unlike many of my black friends, I was not excited by the prospect of Barack Obama and did not feel the need to “support one of our own.”’

As a self-described liberal and feminist, Clinton had my full support throughout the primary season. I accepted the mistakes of her staff and her own missteps along the way as par for the course. The bitter primary fight was unexpected given Obama’s inexperience. I still hoped the Hillary would be victorious. Even after some obvious union shenanigans in caucus states, I never expected Obama to win the nomination. When he did, I put aside my disappointment and got behind him. I tried to feel pride in his accomplishments and overlook his obvious ACORN ties.

As a former ACORN/Project Vote employee, I recalled taking a call from the campaign in 2007 and speaking with one of the staffers. I was excited at the time, but only because I had just attended a staff retreat where Zach Polett, head of ACORN Political Operations, had bragged about supervising Obama and stated that “ACORN produces leaders.” After working with the Obama donor list in late 2007, I knew that Hilary Clinton faced a formidable opponent with a well-run political money machine.

Despite these experiences and misgivings, I went for Obama and when John McCain announced Sarah Palin as his running mate, I was angry. With all the liberal self-righteousness that I could muster, I attacked her experience, her knowledge of foreign affairs and all things Palin. It was a purely irrational response born out of the bitterness of not being able to have Hilary Clinton as my candidate. I ignored Palin’s innate charm, grace and beauty. I found myself secretly laughing with her and admiring her spunk but would never admit it.

In 2009 as I began to transition from liberal to conservative, I wondered whether I would get behind Palin and if I did, would that make me a hypocrite. A series of unlikely events answered that question for me. As the fight against ACORN became ugly and people began to spread lies and take sides, I finally understood Palin. She is a lightening rod for anyone who does not stand for truth and wants to maintain a status quo or move toward socialism.

(AP Photo/Tom Uhlman)

(AP Photo/Tom Uhlman)

When I found out the title of her book was Going Rogue, that stuck in my head, because that was the gist of the situation. Palin defies expectations, speaks from the heart and shoots from the hip. As former McCain staffers began to attack her, I identified with her. I realized that by bucking the system and going against Obama, I had upset liberals and some Republicans who wanted to use exposing ACORN for their own benefit. I upset other whistleblowers who wanted to protect Obama and selectively expose ACORN. I ruffled feathers at Fox with my determination to link this scandal back to the White House.

I began to admire Palin’s strength in the face of attacks and her relentless quest to just be Sarah and expose hypocrisy and truth. I became an unlikely “Palinista” and found myself devouring all articles written about her and following her on Facebook.

I was struck by how some treated her and intrigued by those who admired her. Sarah Palin really is a lesson in an American life: she never claimed to be perfect but through sheer grit, determination and an undeniable likability, she showed this self-described feminist what being a woman in this new America is all about.

Recently in the Green Room:

Comments

Welcome aboard, Anita. Your long nightmare is over at last.

Brian1972 on November 24, 2009 at 11:57 AM

Kudos to you for your love of the truth!

Daggett on November 24, 2009 at 12:01 PM

Nice to have you on our side Anita. Sarah does have the same values as hubby and I hold. You have guts yourself for taking a stance against acorn. Thank you.
L

letget on November 24, 2009 at 12:13 PM

It’s shocking how much better a president Hillary would have been than Obama.

Abby Adams on November 24, 2009 at 12:18 PM

It’s shocking how much better a president Hillary my dog would have been than Obama.

Abby Adams on November 24, 2009 at 12:18 PM

FIFY.

Physics Geek on November 24, 2009 at 12:27 PM

Anita, you are both brave and eloquent. You and Sarah have indeed suffered a similar crucible.

Disturb the Universe on November 24, 2009 at 12:39 PM

God bless you, Anita. I’m glad to have you with us (not either party; just “real people”).

MsU

MsUnderestimated on November 24, 2009 at 1:07 PM

I thought this was going to be about JetBoy.

BadgerHawk on November 24, 2009 at 1:21 PM

BadgerHawk on November 24, 2009 at 1:21 PM

Heh.

Abby Adams on November 24, 2009 at 1:26 PM

Anita – poignant piece – very nicely done. Welcome home – we are family, we are imperfect and we are real. God Bless you.

Ris4victory on November 24, 2009 at 1:39 PM

Welcome aboard, Anita!

SouthernGent on November 24, 2009 at 1:44 PM

You’re still fighting for the first female President of the US. You just didn’t think she’d be a Republican!

Won’t it be good to have the first female POTUS be someone who truly worked hard for it and succeeded through her own merits, rather than someone with the right skin color/equipment who was vague enough to get elected based on “hope and change?”

Sekhmet on November 24, 2009 at 1:44 PM

Anita, I enjoyed your post. I think you are right on the money about Palin. The cross-over from Hillary to Palin has been fascinating.

You mentioned that in 2009 you began to transition from liberal to conservative, was that about Palin, Obama, the crazy Democrat legislation this year, or ??? And was the move all this year, or had you started to drift rightward before? Most folks who have made that move, me included (many, many years ago; I’m old as dirt), take it more gradually.

Anyway, nice post!

james23 on November 24, 2009 at 5:24 PM

I would add, because it seems apropos of your post, that the emergence of younger, conservative women is the most exciting thing that has happened on the right side of the political landscape in a generation. It gives me great hope for the future, despite how cloudy things presently appear.

james23 on November 24, 2009 at 5:27 PM

Anita, thank you for sharing your thoughts. I’m sure it wasn’t easy making the transition and we welcome you with open arms. Please do keep writing, you’re very good at it.

I’ve tried to tell so many liberal friends that supporters of Hillary Clinton had formed their own groups around the country and had swung over to supporting Sarah Palin. Ironically, studying the issues led many to the realization that what she was proposing for the country was good for them too.

24K lady on November 24, 2009 at 6:33 PM

Once a Palinista, always a Palinista.

technopeasant on November 24, 2009 at 6:49 PM

Wow, Anita. You’ve really seen how the other half lives! Welcome to the conservative side. Notice I didn’t say “Republican” side. Heh, heh.

I’m always surprised at the death grip the dem party has on minorities considering the strong religious and social conservative stances held in the black community. Please use your eloquence to get other Obots to realize that he and his gang of thugs aren’t out to make things better for anyone else but themselves.

sabu on November 24, 2009 at 9:15 PM

Ms. Moncrief has had quite a journey, in a short period of time. Hopefully, she’ll keep her eyes open and not get too involved with the Republicans and keeps her eye out for Conservatives.

Right now, the Republicans are the lesser of 2 evils. The Democrats have completely over-reached and do not deserve to be in power, however, the Republican Party needs to be shaken and stirred also. They had power for 12 years and did nothing about health care, social security, medicare or medicaid, although they claim to have recognized they all had problems. The Republican party needs to commit to something and not allow the Democrats to make them waver. The Democrats have showed them how to govern, just shove it down their throats.

bflat879 on November 24, 2009 at 9:47 PM

Nicely done Anita. Welcome.

gary4205 on November 24, 2009 at 10:25 PM

Congratulations, Anita.

But Palin is just an instrument. Now, it’s time for you to fully embrace REAL FREEDOM.

That can only be achieved by TRUE REPUBLICANISM, CONSERVATIVISM AND LIBERTARIANISM molded into one: the IDEALS OF SARAH PALIN.

Limited Government: You will never be a SLAVE OF THE GOVERNMENT. Government should work for you, not the other way around. Government’s role is to PROTECT YOU AND YOUR PROPERTY AND THE EVERYTHING THAT YOU AND YOUR FAMILY HOLD DEAR.

Conservatism: You are free to ENRICH yourself. You are the boss, the employer of yourself. YOU capitalize on your strengths, and everything good that nature has richly blessed you. You are free to cultivate your culture and multiply your kind. You are free to protect your heritage. You want to multiply your own kinds, you don’t want to delimit yourself and your kind. The more offsprings you procreate and raise, the BETTER YOUR WEALTH IS. YOU are always PROUD OF YOURSELF. You enjoy your successes and learn from your failures.

Libertarianism: You are free to choose your own lifestyle. But being a conservative, you will choose what is not just BEST for you now, what is GENERALLY GOOD for you and your offsprings today and tomorrow.

No one … No one will take your freedom from you. YOU WILL ALWAYS FIGHT FOR YOURSELF AND FOR YOUR LINEAGE.

THOSE ARE THE THINGS THAT SARAH PALIN REPRESENTS … REAGANESQUE PRINCIPLES.

TheAlamos on November 24, 2009 at 10:42 PM

Welcome Anita.

🙂

(watch out for the trolls)

Sapwolf on November 25, 2009 at 11:16 PM

TheAlamos on November 24, 2009 at 10:42 PM

I would also add voluntary charity, as under Reagan, charitable donations and taking care of others thrived despite what the statists tell you.

Sapwolf on November 25, 2009 at 11:18 PM

I have read your posts and admired your tenacity and truthfulness. It is an honor to be in your company, and I am so glad that you have crossed the line in the sand. We could use a voice like your for the cause of freedom. Thank you for telling us about your journey and transformation–I’m sure it wasn’t easy to write–or maybe it was….
Welcome, I look forward to more of your articles.

lovingmyUSA on November 26, 2009 at 3:45 AM

Anita,your success is our joy!

tim c on November 26, 2009 at 9:31 AM

Yep. I never thought that I would see the day when I was wishing that Hillary was president. She’d have been much less destructive to the country.

Lanceman on November 26, 2009 at 11:07 AM