Green Room

Newsweek’s gratuitous visual insult to a certain Blue Star Mother

posted at 11:40 am on November 15, 2009 by

We’ve already discussed the Newsweek Palin Cover at length – but here’s one last note that needs to be entered into the blogospherical record.

Just in case you had any doubt, Newsweek really is a liberal publication.

Newsweek cover:

Palin on Newsweek Cover

Runner’s World Original:

Runner's World Original

Element obscured by Newsweek:

Palin's Blue Star Mom Flag

Hat tip to HotAir commenter Annie, who said, “It may not have been deliberate, but I wouldn’t put anything past them.”

My personal guess is that Newsweek made what seemed to them an aesthetic decision on the composition. It just happened to be an aesthetic decision that no conservative magazine, nor anyone trying to deepen rather than flatten their depiction of Palin, nor anyone made uncomfortable by gestures of disrespect toward the military or even toward a parent’s feelings, would have made.

Given the evident hatred felt in certain sectors toward Palin and her supporters, it seems likely to me that anyone at Newsweek editorial who wondered about the implicit gesture more likely took pleasure in the idea of visually demoting – stealing really – the sign of this particular Blue Star Mother’s pride.

In other Newsweek Palin cover news, Blogger Serr8d couldn’t do anything with the Blue Star window pennant, but has gone a long way to fixing the cover for them anyway.

cross-adapted from Zombie Contentions

Recently in the Green Room:

Comments

A hideous cover from a worthless magazine.

How about a gallery of 32 Newsweek/Obama covers for dessert?

*gag*

Track-A-'Crat on November 15, 2009 at 11:58 AM

Just couldn’t figure out what graphics to add to cover up the flag, too, could they?

Wethal on November 15, 2009 at 12:47 PM

My guess is that Newsweek doesn’t have a friggin’ clue what the blue star means. They couldn’t care less.

ddrintn on November 15, 2009 at 1:46 PM

Track-A-’Crat on November 15, 2009 at 11:58 AM

I’m still more in the “intended to do harm, probably self-undermining” school on this one. The vivacious image remains attractive and positive for all their efforts to negate it, and will last in the minds of casual readers – and non-readers who simply see the magazine on newstands, doctor’s offices, wherever – long after the opinionated claptrap has been forgotten.

On the other hand, the Obama covers you document passed the point of “not another one” overkill a long time ago for all but the hardest core Obamanauts.

CK MacLeod on November 15, 2009 at 2:26 PM

I’ll give them a bit of a pass as Newsweek editors probably don’t even know what the Blue Star means.

rbj on November 15, 2009 at 3:20 PM

CK – yeah, I see what you’re saying. The title and sub-title are so flagrantly venomous that they appeal (as with the deluge of Obama covers) to none but the most ardent Leftie, and Palin’s hotness erases whatever spiteful little words they’ve put next to her.

I’m with ddrintn regarding Newspeak’s Newsweek’s disdain for the Blue Star Flag – ignorance is bliss.

Track-A-'Crat on November 15, 2009 at 3:24 PM

I saw what I thought was a typo a few days ago…NEWSWEAK… I think that says it all.

texabama on November 15, 2009 at 4:10 PM