Green Room

Best. Headline. Ever.

posted at 10:30 am on November 12, 2009 by

Is surely this one.

From an article in the Christian Science Monitor, of all places.

Has no-one there watched American Pie? Or was it written that way accidentally-on-purpose in order to provoke the intended target…

PS – Is it not also the worst possible acronym for a group of Islamic nutters?  Talk about undermining yourself from the very start.  Although I guess they can be excused, as they definitely haven’t seen that iconic slice of American movie-making…

Cross-posted.

Recently in the Green Room:

Comments

The Wisconsin Tourism Federation recently changed their name when they realized the acronym in their logo didn’t quite convey the message they wanted. :-)

Laura on November 12, 2009 at 10:41 AM

Ha, great find Laura.

Track-A-'Crat on November 12, 2009 at 10:48 AM

Thank you, both Track-A-Crat and Laura…for making my day bearable. :)

MadisonConservative on November 12, 2009 at 11:05 AM

Holy South Hampton Institute of Technology.

Daggett on November 12, 2009 at 11:21 AM

OMG! ROTFL!

If the headline was true and he wasnt a man of the cloth he might have wanted to stay.

thebrokenrattle on November 12, 2009 at 11:32 AM

I still think the Wisconsin Tourism Federation missed the boat on that one. Imagine an ad campaign centered around the slogan “Wisconsin? WTF?!”

Crawford on November 12, 2009 at 11:55 AM

Take it away, “Coalition for the Liberation of Intinerent Tree-Dwellers”:

Not safe???

Abby Adams on November 12, 2009 at 12:34 PM

Actually, I’m sure the MILF had the acronym way before Hollywood go ahold of it, though once something gets into the popular culture and the public’s consciousness, there’s nothing you can do about it (kind of like how the AYDS diet plan candies that always advertised in women’s magazines dropped off the face of the Earth around 1983 or so).

On the other hand, it’s fun to contemplate radical Philippine terrorists declaring war on Hollywood for stealing their initials.

jon1979 on November 12, 2009 at 12:43 PM

Crawford – yeah, they could’ve got quite creative with it and been a viral sensation, but alas…

Abby – I’m slightly surprised that that one hasn’t come into being, in a life-imitating-art-imitating-life kinda way.

jon – as I’ve found out since posting, the (terrorist) MILFs did indeed have the acronym before pop culture co-opted it. But still. Great example with the AYDS appetite-suppressant candy – no business could have withstood that bombshell.

Track-A-'Crat on November 12, 2009 at 12:55 PM

Track, wonderful stuff! Kudos as well to Laura.

Howard Portnoy on November 12, 2009 at 1:10 PM

I didn’t get it. Now I do. Sorry I even read the post.

frizzbee on November 12, 2009 at 1:10 PM

frizzbee – apologies for any offense caused. The humor is puerile, but I like the headline’s mockery of Islamofascists.

Track-A-'Crat on November 12, 2009 at 1:27 PM

I’m not offended….Just hating the overall degrading of our good society.

frizzbee on November 12, 2009 at 1:59 PM

the Moro Islamic Liberation Front (MILF)

Is it just me, or is there an “n” missing from the long name?

malclave on November 12, 2009 at 4:21 PM

malclave on November 12, 2009 at 4:21 PM

No, because Moron Islamic would be redundant.

Disturb the Universe on November 12, 2009 at 6:37 PM

Well good ole Seattle has its

Seattle
Light
Urban
Transit

Until they figured it out (took them awhile) and renamed it.

CrazyFool on November 14, 2009 at 12:24 PM