Green Room

Big Brother, yes; Big screens, no.

posted at 11:30 am on November 11, 2009 by

Rasmussen:

California is expected to implement energy-conserving regulations any day now that manufacturers and retailers say will in effect ban the sale of big-screen TVs in the state. Other states are likely to follow the Golden State’s “green” initiative in the months ahead.

But a new Rasmussen Reports national telephone survey finds that 66% of Americans oppose a law that would effectively ban the sale of big-screen televisions to save energy. Sixteen percent (16%) favor the idea, and 18% are not sure.

Most adults (53%) say being able to buy whatever kind of TV they want is more important than conserving energy. However, 37% rate conserving energy as more important.

Still, 54% are willing to pay more for a television that is more energy-efficient. Thirty percent (30%) are not, and 16% aren’t sure.

Guess what, guys — there’s a gender gap here:

Women are more sympathetic than men to energy conservation efforts at the expense of big TVs, but they’re less willing to pay more for a television that is more energy-efficient.

They liked Al Gore, John Kerry, and Barack Obama, too.

The reasons given were mostly about feelings, nothing more than feelings:

• Better equipped to deal with the nation’s economic ills; [hah!]
  • Projected empathy for women’s financial struggles;
  • Understood how hard it can be to keep a job today while caring for families;
  • Understood that women are more economically vulnerable than men;
  • Offered hope while acknowledging women’s struggles.
  • Aware of the need for pay equity and work/life balanced policies.
  • In touch with the need for expanded health insurance for children.

Put-on empathy can’t cure what ails us. What was it that John Derbyshire said about women’s suffrage?

Don’t worry. He’s for equal voting rights, as am I. But I’m also for encouraging liberal women to engage the brains God gave them before voting, and quit falling for anyone who projects “empathy” and validates their victimhood. Have some self-respect next time, please. Declare your emancipation from big government.

Cross-posted here.

Recently in the Green Room:

Comments

Glad I got my monster LED/LCD flat panel when I did …

Mew

acat on November 11, 2009 at 12:50 PM

Selling big screens on the black market will soon be a cottage industry in California.

Disturb the Universe on November 11, 2009 at 1:23 PM

What’s infuriating about this is that it will only affect lower and middle class Americans. The rich Hollywood types won’t be affected because they can afford green technology (like projection screens?) or have the ability to pay extra for black market TVs.

CityFish on November 11, 2009 at 1:49 PM

Wonder how many of those big screen suckers I can cram in the back of my pickup? They will be sold tax free, too, coming from Montana. Unintended consequences bites again. Hahaha.

Kissmygrits on November 11, 2009 at 2:02 PM

In a contest that pits employment and businesses succeeding against arbitrary power for government the Democrat dominated state legislature is not on the side of the angels.

snaggletoothie on November 11, 2009 at 6:29 PM

That’s nice that California is going to help out the economies of its neighboring states to the tune of several hundred million dollars a year. This will also help FedEx Freight and UPS Freight as Californians buy their big screens online and have them delivered.

For being the ‘more educated’ of the political spectrum, liberals sure are stupid.

Wolftech on November 11, 2009 at 8:11 PM

ummmm, yeah. Not believing the premise here for even an instant. How we got from “California is doing something stupid to try to force better energy consumption performance from tvs” to “OMG WTF?!?! California is going to BAN all big screen tvs!!11!!” is just another example of someone losing all credibility through deceitful hyperbole.

They’re morons. But isn’t that enough to pick apart without going full retard with the shtick?

ReaganRoxx on November 11, 2009 at 10:19 PM

ReaganRoxx
Your deep respect for those with whom you disagree and touching concern for the feelings of others reveals you to be a revered master in the Obama school of post-partisanship. Another valued product of the Chicago machine, no doubt.

snaggletoothie on November 12, 2009 at 1:47 AM

Some women would like to put an end to women’s suffrage. And in these specific cases, I heartily agree.

Laura on November 12, 2009 at 2:00 AM

ReaganRoxx

Don’t even know what this means. Are you incapable of providing some information that shows how big screen TVs will either be banned or effectively banned? Please include information that refutes the claims that there are, at present, between 400 and 1,000 models of TV that would qualify under the rules for 2011.

Thanks.

ReaganRoxx on November 12, 2009 at 9:42 AM

I am a woman who lives (unwillingly) in California, and I am firmly in Ann Coulter’s court when I say that women should never have been given the right to vote. Too many of them vote with their feelings, and have no idea how the real world works. I would gladly surrender the right if it meant that liberal women were disenfranchised, too. It might save the country.

hachiban on November 12, 2009 at 11:20 AM

Hmm, I see a business opportunity here. Bootleg big screens in the back of U-Hauls; since it is a black market action, no taxes either. Good idea CA! If they catch you, just claim to be an illegal alien. No downside that I can see.

GnuBreed on November 12, 2009 at 11:46 PM

hachiban on November 12, 2009 at 11:20 AM

As the interested alpha male of my household, I do due diligence on each upcoming election. I then prepare a voting guide for each household member (wife, two children). I honestly argue my case for each selection, including those where my opinion is not firm. I rarely know know how they voted in all particulars; but I believe they follow my recommendations most of the time. Find someone you respect and ask their honest opinion on candidates; then vote your informed conscience. You will be casting an educated vote — all that anyone expects from any American.

GnuBreed on November 12, 2009 at 11:56 PM