Squirmer of the House Nancy Pelosi Doesn’t Have the Votes… Yet
posted at 6:16 pm on November 6, 2009 by Dafydd ab Hugh
I picture Speaker of the House Nancy Pelosi (D-Haight-Ashbury, 100%) writhing and twisting in frustration; with all those Democrats, surely she can scrape together 218 to vote for SqueakerCare!
Surely not, at least not yet:
House Democrats acknowledged they don’t yet have the votes to pass a sweeping overhaul of the nation’s health care system, and signaled they may push back the vote until Sunday or early next week.
Majority Leader Steny Hoyer, D-Md., told reporters in a conference call Friday that the make-or-break vote on President Barack Obama’s push to make health coverage part of the social safety net could face delay. Democrats were originally hoping to pass the bill on Saturday_and officially, that’s still the plan….
Hoyer acknowledged that Democrats are still short of the 218 votes they need to pass the bill. “There are many people who are still trying to get a comfort level that this is the right thing to do,” he said. “We’re very close.”
So what’s the hold up? Yep, the same old overreaching — our secret weapon against the Left! Evidently, Democrats still can’t agree on coverage for abortions and of illegal immigrants:
But Democrats have yet to resolve a intraparty disputes over abortion funding and illegal immigrants’ access to medical coverage. They cleared one hurdle Friday when liberals supporting a government-run Medicare-for-all system withdrew their demand for a floor vote.
Translation: some Democrats demand SqueakerCare pay for abortions — and demand it cover illegal aliens. If there was no power faction insisting on such coverage, it would be easy to insert language banning it.
Here’s a point that hasn’t gotten enough coverage, I think: La Casa Blanca has endorsed the House version of the bill; which means that President Barack H. Obama has formally renounced his earlier pledge to keep the cost below $900 billion over ten years. Even by the Congressional Budget Office’s reckoning, SqueakerCare would cost $1.2 trillion; and the CBO is obliged to accept all the economic premises of Congress, however ludicrous they may be… for example, that Congress will be able to loot half a trillion dollars from Medicare, that they’ll be able to raise vast taxes in an election year, that those taxes won’t cause a recession, and so forth.
Evidently, each and every solemn oath that eructates from the Obamacle’s mouth is what Mary Poppins would call a “pie-crust promise: easily made and easily broken.”
Anent the abortion and illegal immigrant controversies, Democrats have run straight into the fundamental buzzsaw of nationalizing health care: There are many things that a private company can do but the government cannot. So what happens under liberal fascism, where the federal government takes control of the private sector? Here is the dilemma in a nuthouse:
- A private insurance company in a Capitalist system can offer coverage for abortions if it chooses; a great many do so.
- A private company can choose not to demand proof of legal residency before insuring a subscriber; many insurance companies follow this route.
- But when the federal government operates its own insurance plan — and especially when it rigs the game to force more and more people into that government plan — then there are only two options for those particularly controversial issues:
- The government plan can cover them; in which case you have the federal government funding abortion and paying for coverage of illegal aliens;
- Or the government plan can refuse to cover them; in which case, hundreds of thousands of women forced into the government plan can no longer get their insurance to pay for their abortions; and millions of illegal aliens will lose the insurance they currently pay for and rely upon.
Thus in the House and Senate, either you have moderate Democrats up in arms about federally funded abortions and a free health-care ride for illegals — in which case the bill goes up in smoke, because there are too many Blue Dogs to ignore; or else fewer women get abortions and fewer illegals get medical insurance — and the ultra-liberal mainstream of the Democratic Party jumps ship, leaving the bill in even worse trouble.
The only solution would be to bribe three or four Blue Dogs to go ahead and vote for the bill, knowing they will likely lose their seats in 2010. For example, the One can offer lucrative positions in the administration to any Democrat who loses reelection next year; or the Democratic leadership can offer specific Blue Dogs powerful committee chairmanships if they betray their constituents — plus a ton of campaign cash in 2010, in both the primary and the general elections.
I assume that’s what is going on; and Squeaker Pelosi’s insistance that she will have the votes represents her certainty that at least that many moderate Democrats are eager to be bribed.
But the fact that she does not yet have the votes indicates either that they’re holding out for a super-duper bribe… or else that Pelosi’s fundamental axiom — that all Democrats are enthusiastic participants in the Democratic culture of corruption — is a misapprehension based upon projecting her own ethos onto other people.
The next few days will tell us which. Since we’re talking about Democrats, I suspect the Squeaker’s scheme will ultimately bear fruit; she’ll find three or four Blue Dogs corrupt enough to accept money and power in exchange for selling their constituents down the river. But I’m always open to persuasion by hard data.
Cross-posted on Big Lizards…
Recently in the Green Room:
- Real question: Does Obama’s budget fund overseas abortions to protect endangered animals?
- Photo of the day: Crimea now belongs to Russia, at least on Russian propaganda TV
- Vatican: Pope Francis wasn’t talking about same-sex relationships; Update: “Civil unions” explained
- RNC ad: Crying infant greets Obama’s new debt-laden budget
- Update: Grayson dismisses ‘erratic’ wife after abuse allegation