Green Room

Oh noes! I’m turning conservative!

posted at 11:00 am on November 3, 2009 by

Today, I will be voting in the blowout victory of Republican candidate for governor Bob McDonnell, and it’s highly likely that I will be voting for pretty much the entire Republican ticket.

Only nine years ago, I voted for Al Gore and the straight Democratic ticket in New Jersey—line A all the way, as the slogan went. (Funny how even though the position of Line A was a coin flip, the Dems had Line A almost every single year I voted in NJ.)

The question is, who changed: Me, or them?

Well, I’ve changed. I have become more centrist, and less willing to part with my hard-earned dollars because a politician says he can spend my money better than I. I’m definitely tired of state-run charity programs for the perpetually unemployed. Or the state wanting to run my healthcare. (Or, for that matter, auto companies and banks.)

But there were two major turning points in my march towards the center. The first came on September 11, 2001. The second came in the bloody Israeli spring of 2002. That was when I realized that the left-leaning crowd that I ran with didn’t think that Israel had the right to use military means against the Palestinians to stop the terrorists. That was when I realized that the left-leaning crowd that I ran with were justifying Palestinian suicide attacks against Israelis by using the excuse that the Palestinians were oppressed. That was when I realized that the left-leaning crowd I ran with was full of anti-Semites who call themselves anti-Zionists.

They didn’t really change, though. Their thoughts on Israel were always there, just never in evidence, as it wasn’t an issue until Yasser Arafat waged his terror war after turning down the Clinton peace proposals. That was Israel’s fault too, of course. Just like many people thought that we brought 9/11 down on ourselves. I couldn’t stand that line of thought.

So I started frequenting the right-leaning blogs, because at least there, I found people who were willing to call a terrorist a terrorist, and who don’t think that Israel is to blame for all the world’s ills.

I was embraced by the right, even though I’ve never hidden the fact that I’m still pretty much a social liberal, and even though I am an avowed feminist. But I have more in common with Michelle Malkin these days than I do with Al Gore, and I do not agree with everything Michelle says. I don’t think she has a problem with my disagreement. The crew at Michelle’s and Hot Air have been linking my posts for years, and have given me access to The Green Room. My liberal blogger friends are mostly gone, still horrified that I’m a Zionist and that I voted for George W. Bush in 2004. And especially that I haven’t come back to the fold, and returned to voting Line A all the way.

Yeah, not gonna happen. I don’t want my taxes raised. I don’t want socialized healthcare. I don’t want more regulations. And I don’t want this nation turning into a nanny state. The status of the U.K., with its 24-hour surveillance cameras and lack of individual rights, horrifies me. You are not even allowed to defend yourself against an intruder in your home in Great Britain. A year and a half ago, watching the neighborhood I lived in go to seed, I bought a handgun for protection. I couldn’t do that I’d have to get a permit for it in New Jersey, but Virginia is a much more sensible state.

I’ve gone against my New Jersey upbringing on about gun control, too. And I’ve moved toward the center on so many issues that I no longer consider myself a liberal. So let’s just say it’s Line B for me, unless the Dems have a revolution and move towards the center and give me reason to vote for them again.

I won’t be holding my breath.

Cross-posted.

Recently in the Green Room:

Comments

Welcome to party of No.

No higher taxes
No socialized healthcare
No bowing to Kings
No apologies to our enemies

The list of No’s is endlist.

BobMbx on November 3, 2009 at 12:07 PM

Conservatives: the only ones that actually tolerate diversity.

jdpaz on November 3, 2009 at 12:12 PM

Sounds like a conservative to me. The minimum for the GOP is to be for limited government, government reform, strong national defense, and unabashed American patriotism. Its seems to me that you fit the bill!

Traditional values, like marriage between a man and a woman being the bedrock of society (duh) and individual freedom which includes the unborn will shortly follow for you. I sense it because of your evolution on gun rights.

milemarker2020 on November 3, 2009 at 12:43 PM

Only nine years ago, I voted for Al Gore and the straight Democratic ticket

Heavenly Father please forgive me – so did I.

BadgerHawk on November 3, 2009 at 12:55 PM

I have been voting R since I started voting, but I voted for Ross against Bush 1 because he raised taxes he promised he would not do. That was a big mistake because it got clinton in, IMO. I voted against bho for dear john, another person who is a rino. I hope we conservatives can get a consertave candidate in 2012, SARAH?
L

letget on November 3, 2009 at 1:07 PM

meryl,

your trajectory mirrors mine almost exactly!

i grew up in cook county, IL. i know that i would never be able to keep my sanity if i had to live there again.

great piece. thanks!

homesickamerican on November 3, 2009 at 1:10 PM

Welcome to being a conservative!!!!!!!!!!

not good friends are they? I always find it silly when people refuse to be friends because they disagree politically.

deidre on November 3, 2009 at 2:01 PM

Don’t care much about other issues.

DON’T TOUCH MY HARD-EARNED MONEY.

In the past, I always voted for Republicans – believing that they wouldn’t touch my money. But in the last 16 years, they actually did. I became a scalawag.

Now, I would vote for 3rd Party whose primary slogan is NO OR REDUCED TAX.

But there’s always hope. I’m very hopeful in 2010.

TheAlamos on November 3, 2009 at 2:04 PM

Yeah, it’s line B for me, too–or the California equivalent–but it always has been. Welcome to the tent, Meryl!

Bob's Kid on November 3, 2009 at 2:24 PM

Me tooes!!!!!

Funny how that happens isn’t it. I’m glad I married a smart man who taught me a lot.

sammypants on November 3, 2009 at 2:33 PM

So where did you get your marching order from ?

Just asking .. cause I never got any.

J_Crater on November 3, 2009 at 3:32 PM

Ahhh, with age comes wisdom, welcome to maturity and to the party of adults. We are so glad to have you!!!!!

theenforser on November 3, 2009 at 4:02 PM

Same for me, Meryl. 8 years ago I voted straight dem ticket, and to think of that folly now makes my toes curl in shame. Today I voted straight republican ticket up here in northern Virginia. Felt great.

perries on November 3, 2009 at 4:02 PM

Welcome aboard.

hoakie on November 3, 2009 at 4:55 PM

I used to try very hard to listen to both sides and vote for the person and not the party. But that is no-longer possible. If someone calls themselves a Democrat, even if they qualify it with, “but I’m pro-life” it means they accept corruption at a level that is just not American!

I still think there are good Democrats out there. I really do. But more and more there is good and there is bad and I’m not sure you can remain good and untarnished very long in the Democratic Party.

And what do you mean socially liberal? Because that line has moved way way left. Way way left. Now it means you teach children they are missing out if they are a virgin at 13. And if they don’t at least consider being gay themselves they are totally bigoted! Maybe you agree with that… I don’t care. But I’m definitely socially conservative for life!

petunia on November 3, 2009 at 5:36 PM

Based on the comment you left about your definition of “feminism”, aside from the religious aspect, I would have to agree with you. I would say that your definition of “feminism” makes you a “Michelle Malkin conservative”. Unfortunately the left has changed the definition of “feminism” to be something totally different. Of course, based on the standard hypocrisy of the left, I do not think that anyone can come up with a logical and consistent definition of “feminism” of the left.

Actually, I would say that your definition is actually the normal conservative viewpoint for everyone. It is the viewpoint that racism or sexism is wrong because it is dishonest and does not treat human beings as they are supposed to be treated, not because the “victims” have special “rights”.

BTW your crossposting link here is wrong. It should be your blog

Also your crosspost on your blog is not linked.

sabbahillel on November 3, 2009 at 5:51 PM

I meant to say “Based on the comment you left in comment #4 on your blog, I would have to agree with you.

sabbahillel on November 3, 2009 at 5:54 PM

Welcome to the party, pal! ;-)

itzWicks on November 3, 2009 at 6:11 PM

Welcome aboard!

Trying to get my liberal girlfriend to pull the blinders off as well, but I have patience.

Sarjex on November 3, 2009 at 6:28 PM

The question is, who changed: Me, or them?

In my case, I would say it’s both. And it happened in the 2008 primaries, mainly after a Dem friend stopped talking to me after I attempted to have a reasonable, critically constructive discussion about issues I had with the party….

I still hold my Dem registration card (I wouldn’t give up voting in the Arlen Specter Primary for anything!).

And I can honestly say it was DEEELICIOUS to vote straight ticket today, something I never did before. Yep, it was so easy and satisfying pressing that Republican button.

misslizzi on November 4, 2009 at 12:26 AM

Welcome to the fold, I used to be a dem also…saw the light and went Right.

lovingmyUSA on November 4, 2009 at 1:18 AM

The old saw says that a conservative is a liberal that has been mugged. We in the US are all being mugged daily with loss of freedom, loss of income, loss of spirit in individual endeavors.

For any foreign policy decision, the right side to be on can usually be found by asking the right question:

Does this policy promote the greatest freedom for the maximum number of people? Freedom and temporary peace are not the same. Freedom is not free.

GnuBreed on November 4, 2009 at 4:43 AM

Welcome. Coming in here as a liberal must seem kind of scary, perhaps a little traitorous to ones up bringing, or ones neighborhood. One thing you’ll find is all are welcome. I guess it’s like joining a church. You look around trying to figure out if you’re comfortable with it’s teachings, it’s pastors and it’s members. Perhaps, being new you’ve discovered that although you were from the “other side”, there’s things you can relate to on this side. Perhaps the scariest thing, lonce you find out we’re generally a nice group, is that you agree with us more than you’d ever think.
You see, we have time on our side. The older you get, the more experiences in your life, the more you’ll see the logic in our “dogma”.

Jeff from WI on November 4, 2009 at 8:29 AM

Well Meryl, I’ve been expecting this since around 2004, when you announced that you would vote for Bush. About one of your comments:

I’ve long opined that the left is the home for rampant anti-Semitism. I just wish that more in the Jewish community would notice.

Physics Geek on November 4, 2009 at 10:17 AM

I was almost completely apathetic up until I turned 20 and 9/11 happened. Up until then I considered myself liberal without really understanding what that meant. When Sept 11th happened I started actually reading the news every day. The attitudes on my university campus (which was not particularly liberal) offended me. The vitreol that was spewed towards America (I’m Canadian) shocked me. I also started to notice a lof of Anti-Christian attitudes and ridicule of anybody who didn’t agree with liberals. I voted for the first time in 2002 for a conservative out of spite, but have been voting conservative ever since based on knowledge and experience.

CityFish on November 4, 2009 at 11:11 AM

Liberals are collectivists, and collectivism leads inexorably toward a loss of individual liberty in the name of “the greater good.”

TheUnrepentantGeek on November 4, 2009 at 12:32 PM