Green Room

NY23: ‘Boots on the Ground’ for Hoffman

posted at 3:48 pm on November 2, 2009 by

He’s known as “Hooah Mac” at Red State, but the guys in his Army Reserve unit call him “Sarge.” He’s just back from an Iraq deployment and expects to redeploy in January. He hopped a flight from Minneapolis at 7 a.m. today, landed in Syracuse at 1 p.m., and by 3 p.m. was in the Watertown office of the Doug Hoffman campaign. He answered the campaign’s call for “boots on the ground” against ACORN, Big Labor and the Democrats. “This is what it’s all about,” Mac said, explaining why he decided to show up as a Hoffman volunteer.

Volunteers continue to walk into campaign offices all over the 23rd District. While I was at the Hoffman office in Watertown, a guy walked in with a slice of pizza and a chocolate Yoohoo. “Hey, I was just getting lunch down the street and saw your office,” the guy said. Within minutes, he had been given a Hoffman yard sign and was signed up as a volunteer.

Both the pizza-and-Yoohoo guy and Hooah Mac may spend some time working the phones at a get-out-the-vote call center set up about a block away from the Hoffman office here. Among the volunteers working the phones there this afternoon was “Sapwolf,” whom I’d met earlier today. The guy running the call center is named Ryan and he got kind of nervous when I introduced myself as a reporter. (It’s OK. I’m not John McCormack. I understand.)

Hooah Mac talked a bit about the latest poll numbers, and he said, “In a way, Doug’s already won” — i.e., by driving Dede Scozzafava out of the race. Nevertheless, Mac decided to come to town and help push Hoffman over the finish line tomorrow.

The new message from the RNC today? “Vote Conservative.” Yeah, thanks. Better late than never.

(Cross-posted at The Other McCain.)

Recently in the Green Room:

Comments

It’s great to see the peeps really digging deep and committing themselves selflessly to elect the conservative, Doug Hoffman. I admire them (and envy them a wee bit, too.)

Thanks for the Boots on the Ground report.

Buckeye Babe on November 2, 2009 at 7:25 PM

I am so glad you saw our Sapwolf! It’s been thrilling to know that one of our one was there–and I can’t wait to hear more from him. Heartfelt thanks to those who are there in person to give a final push for Doug Hoffman. Why do I feel that I am missing a chance to participate in history…*sigh–hope my money makes up for in-person feet on the ground…

lovingmyUSA on November 2, 2009 at 10:34 PM

…one of our one own
(It happens every time I don’t preview–*grinds teeth*)

lovingmyUSA on November 2, 2009 at 10:37 PM

(It happens every time I don’t preview–*grinds teeth*)
lovingmyUSA on November 2, 2009 at 10:37 PM

You and me both. Eye haet tiepose.

The Other McCain on November 3, 2009 at 3:13 AM

Top Pick

I could think of someone else you might want to ask about…

Trump: I never made any recordings of Comey

Allahpundit Jun 22, 2017 2:01 PM

Bluff.

Hackers stole private data from election databases

John Sexton Jun 22, 2017 1:21 PM

Failure to protect the city

Big man on the Middle Eastern campus

Biased Americans see media as biased.

Tough times down on the liberal ranch

Will Nancy Pelosi survive this latest Dem disaster?

Andrew Malcolm Jun 22, 2017 8:41 AM

Eat quick, before it’s gone.

Slow your roll, boss

“I’m bothered by the lack of emerging evidence…”

FIrst look at the Senate health bill

John Sexton Jun 21, 2017 9:21 PM

Divide and conquer?

You know, I may have cracked the case for you, guys

“They’re still running against her and still winning races.”

“…the suspect is from Quebec and has a Canadian passport.”

When the Left lost their way on immigration

Jazz Shaw Jun 21, 2017 2:41 PM

It wasn’t all that long ago, really

“I personally watched some of these students go up to Chief Brown, right up to her face, and call her all kinds of names, cursing at her.”

Did the Queen “nix” a Trump visit to London?

Jazz Shaw Jun 21, 2017 12:41 PM

More like wishful thinking on the American left

Sometimes it’s hard. This was the hardest part

Did the polls get the Handel/Ossoff race wrong?

Allahpundit Jun 21, 2017 11:21 AM

Nah.

Physician, heal thyself

Maybe we’ll stay home and watch.

Good lack of work if you can get it

GOP takes 2 more special House races, meaning what?

Andrew Malcolm Jun 21, 2017 8:41 AM

Two more demoralizing moral victories for Dems.

Not a murder, but nearly as awful

GA Election results thread Update: Handel wins!

John Sexton Jun 20, 2017 7:10 PM

Late night?

7 p.m. ET: The election to end all elections

Allahpundit Jun 20, 2017 7:01 PM

Endgame.

Dashcam footage: The shooting of Philando Castile

Allahpundit Jun 20, 2017 6:31 PM

“Sir, I have to tell you that I do have a firearm on me.”

“Military personnel had to neutralize an individual.”

Because that’s pretty much the same thing, you see