Green Room

NY23: Ordinary Americans Make Miracles Happen — Start Doing What You Can!

posted at 11:23 am on October 25, 2009 by

Letter to the editor, Watertown (N.Y.) Daily Times:

It has recently come to my attention that the Republican Party bosses met behind closed doors to select the candidate for the special election to fill the vacancy created by the appointment of John McHugh to the office of Army secretary.
They selected Dede Scozzafava, a liberal member of the state Assembly. She received the same Planned Parenthood award that was awarded to Hillary Clinton. With President Obama and House Speaker Nancy Pelosi pushing an anti-life agenda through the House, we do not need another pro-abortion politician in Washington.
Let’s send a message: both the Democratic and Republican candidates are pro-abortion, but the Conservative candidate Doug Hoffman is pro-life. On Nov. 3, pull the lever for Doug Hoffman on the Conservative line and cast a vote for life.
Ann Dougherty

To repeat what I wrote in “Memo to the Grassroots”:

One of the problems that hinders grassroots activists from making a difference is that they see problems so big that they think to themselves, “What’s the point? I’m just one person. I’m not important. Why waste my time? There’s nothing I can do anyway.” . . .
The reason the GOP national leadership is so out of touch is because too many grassroots conservatives don’t know how to fight back against the RINOs and sellouts and self-serving GOP headquarters staffers who collect fat paychecks for screwing up over and over again. . . .

If you haven’t read that essay yet, you should do so now. Because if all you’re going to do is sit around whining, “What can I do?” you’re part of the problem, not part of the solution.

Don’t become discouraged and start telling yourself that you can’t do anything to fight back. Doing the little things you can do — like sending short, clear, well-reasoned letters to the editor of your local paper — is the key to successful grassroots activism. “Steady licks kill the Devil,” they say.

Ms. Dougherty’s letter boiled down to its essence a key point about the NY23 special election, namely that it was the “lords of the backroom” who picked Scozzafava as the GOP candidate. How many people in the 23rd District are really aware of that dirty little secret? With that one letter, then, Ms. Dougherty may have struck an important blow for Hoffman by helping inform local readers about the real story of this election, namely the battle between the grassroots and the out-of-touch Republican elite.

That’s just one example of the difference the Ordinary American can make, if you’ll ignore those pessimistic Eeyores who are always spreading negative gloom and doom by telling you there’s no point trying, because you’re certain to lose. If Doug Hoffman had listened to that kind of advice — when he was growing up poor, pumping gas at age 14 to earn money — he never would have become a successful businessman, and he sure wouldn’t be running for Congress today.

The Doug Hoffman campaign collected $116,000 online in a single day last week. This morning, I spoke with a campaign source who told me that the overwhelming majority of those donations were in the $20-$50 range.

Think about that. Raising a six-figure sum — in one day! — with the average donor contributing less than $50. If you haven’t kicked in yet, what are you waiting for? And if you’ve already given the Hoffman campaign $20 or $50, how about another $10 or $20 just to say, “Keep up the good work?”

HOFFMANIA: CATCH IT!

(Cross-posted at Not One Red Cent.)

Recently in the Green Room:

Comments

Nice piece, as usual. My one quibble would be with the use of the word “miracle.” Scozzafava, according to press accounts, is in third place. The GOP deciding to prop her up and attack Hoffman makes his job difficult, but using words like “miracle” may inadvertently suggest that the magnitude of the job is larger than it really is. People need to get involved here precisely because it does not take a miracle to get a win here.

Karl on October 25, 2009 at 2:17 PM

I received one of those National Republican Senatorial Committee fundraising letters disguised as a poll yesterday.

I filled my in (and they try to trick you on the environmental questions) but wrote across it that I would not be donating until they stopped supporting RINOs.

I suggest anyone who sees what is going on with Hoffman’s race and disagrees with the Repubican “leaderships” position do the same.

Greyledge Gal on October 25, 2009 at 2:57 PM

Karl on October 25, 2009 at 2:17 PM

Isn’t Hoffman using “miracle” to tie into the 1980 Olympics, U.S. hockey team beating USSR? If I remember correctly, Hoffman was involved in that Olympics in some way. It also ties conveniently to another “time for choosing” that Palin has alluded to, at the starting point of the “Reagan Revolution.”

cs89 on October 25, 2009 at 2:59 PM

If I remember correctly, Hoffman was involved in that Olympics in some way. . . .

cs89 on October 25, 2009 at 2:59 PM

You are correct. I believe he was Chief Financial Officer for the 1980 Lake Placid Winter Olympics.

The Other McCain on October 25, 2009 at 3:53 PM

I threw him a coupla’ bucks.

NeoKong on October 25, 2009 at 7:15 PM

I threw him $20, but I wish he wasn’t so damn ugly!

lionheart on October 26, 2009 at 7:06 AM

I don’t care how ugly he is. It’s what’s in his heart that counts. He has the right stuff and Sarah likes him.
This country is in a mess and it is because some people can’t get their heads straight. The media is the message. This isn’t good.

BetseyRoss on October 26, 2009 at 8:55 AM

uh-oh.

sesquipedalian on October 26, 2009 at 12:53 PM

sesquipedalian on October 26, 2009 at 12:53 PM

I think that paper is clearly in the Scozzofava or Owens camp.

Editorial here:

Voters know where Assemblywoman Scozzafava stands since she has held elective office for 20 years.

However instead of focusing on any of Ms. Scozzafava’s work on all of the above issues, outside interests keep reminding us of what we already know about her positions on abortion and gay marriage.

The scarcity of discussion and debate on the nuts-and-bolts issues of the complex 23rd Congressional District does a disservice to its residents.

No one in Washington votes in this election, but inside the Beltway cadre’s efforts to decide this election is an arrogant abuse of political ambition.

Northern New Yorkers are wise, politically experienced, and should see that there is more to this election than a series of right- and left-wing television advertisements that ignore what is important in the coffee-shop conversations across this vast area of New York state

Waaaaah!

cs89 on October 26, 2009 at 1:45 PM

I threw him $20, but I wish he wasn’t so damn ugly!

lionheart on October 26, 2009 at 7:06 AM

He’s an accountant by-trade! What do you expect? LOL

Besides, the last two swoon-inducing pretty-boys we’ve had in the oval office have been a horny Arkansan hick and a would-be Marxist Liberation-theologian. If we keep repeating the same mistakes, we’ll keeep getting the same results.

Down with the pretty-boys!

gryphon202 on October 26, 2009 at 1:59 PM

…a horny Arkansan hick….
gryphon202 on October 26, 2009

Arkansas “hicks” stomped Obama by 30 percentage points. How’d your state do?

Venusian Visitor on October 26, 2009 at 3:51 PM

Apple, PG&E and Exelon have left the Chamber over the issue — and Nike resigned from its spot on the board.

The Chamber is willing to lose its version of RINOs and carry on. Good for them!

Feedie on October 26, 2009 at 6:43 PM

Doh! Wrong thread. Sorry.

Feedie on October 26, 2009 at 6:46 PM