Green Room

Is Obama high?

posted at 9:32 am on October 19, 2009 by

Rhetorical question.

WASHINGTON (AP) – Federal drug agents won’t pursue pot-smoking patients or their sanctioned suppliers in states that allow medical marijuana, under new legal guidelines to be issued Monday by the Obama administration.

Two Justice Department officials described the new policy to The Associated Press, saying prosecutors will be told it is not a good use of their time to arrest people who use or provide medical marijuana in strict compliance with state law.

The guidelines to be issued by the department do, however, make it clear that agents will go after people whose marijuana distribution goes beyond what is permitted under state law or use medical marijuana as a cover for other crimes, the officials said.

Now, I don’t see this as necessarily a bad thing. The war on drugs when it comes to marijuana has been, in the opinion of many, a waste of resources for too little effect. Some want the entire operation ended, and others think it should only be focused on so-called “hard” drugs. Leaning more towards the latter, I’d like to give credit to the Justice Department for wasting less taxpayer dollars. However, to do so would be akin to giving credit to Michael Moore for leaving a salt packet uneaten at the table.

This is, after all, the same Justice Department that is busily setting up show trials for splashing water on people’s faces, but doesn’t dare investigate political corruption within its own ranks, nor even have the guts to close the camp they claim to hate so much. Somehow this pathetic gesture doesn’t envelop me in hopeychangey goodness.

Recently in the Green Room:

Comments

Disgusting.

BlameAmericaLast on October 19, 2009 at 10:00 AM

hopefully they will legalize it 100 percent and tax it. we need revenue and pot is better for you than booze. most of america is in favor of legalization of pot so its not that big of a deal. but too many people in power still fear pot even though years of studys show they have nothing to be afraid of. we have other things to worry about like our defict and all these countrys trying to kick us while we are down. Pot legalization will keep money in the U.S. and not have it go to cartels in mexico and it will stop the growing in national forests that is destroying the land

larry harris on October 19, 2009 at 10:36 AM

You know, I still remember the long ago when the Left and the MSM argued that being a cokehead should invalidate one from being President.

Of course then the Left went out and found a cokehead and got him elected president.

Is anyone really surprised Barack “and then I got high” Obama would go soft on the war on drugs?

18-1 on October 19, 2009 at 11:24 AM

Their priorities are consistent with their maddeningly inconsistent liberal worldview. So, in that respect, this makes total sense.

Diane on October 19, 2009 at 11:27 AM

Diane on October 19, 2009 at 11:27 AM

Are you saying they’re consistently inconsistent?

*HEAD POPS*

MadisonConservative on October 19, 2009 at 11:50 AM

we need revenue and pot is better for you than booze.

larry harris on October 19, 2009 at 10:36 AM

Not in moderation. Alcohol is actually a benefit in small quantities. Pot is not, and all smoking is bad for your lungs.

But if you’re going to be either a pothead or an alcoholic, the former is preferred.

Esthier on October 19, 2009 at 12:03 PM

Funny that you say this in the Green Room. Whatchyou doin’ in there, M.C.?

Tzetzes on October 19, 2009 at 12:29 PM

Somehow this pathetic gesture doesn’t envelop me in hopeychangey goodness.

So your contention then is that we should oppose everything the administration does, regardless of whether it lines up with our philosophical/political principles or not?

We should be the 1st to applaud the federal government if they do what they’re supposed to be doing… ESPECIALLY an administration as far gone as this one.

If “free the weed” isn’t a national sentiment, then let the voters of each state say so. An honest, open conversation on the issue is impossible as long as it remains shrouded by “the law.”

Freedom, or not?

realityunwound on October 19, 2009 at 12:35 PM

Freedom, or not?

realityunwound on October 19, 2009 at 12:35 PM

I entirely agree, however my sentiment is that this is a minor drop of clean water in a bucketful of slime. If we can’t interrogate terrorists, or have to go around being labeled “right-wing extremists”, the ability to smoke pot – IF we qualify for medicinal purposes in one of those selected states – is practically no solace whatsoever.

MadisonConservative on October 19, 2009 at 1:01 PM

this is a minor drop of clean water in a bucketful of slime.

No question about it. But after drinking radiator sludge for a year (good grief, it’s only been a year), I’ll take every drop I can get!

realityunwound on October 19, 2009 at 1:44 PM

I do not do drugs. But the criminalization of drugs is one of the reasons it has exploded in use. It goes against every fiber of my freedom-loving being to criminalize drugs because “they’re bad.”

uknowmorethanme on October 19, 2009 at 4:02 PM

MadisonConservative

Good point.

beachgirlusa on October 19, 2009 at 11:34 PM

the criminalization of drugs is one of the reasons it has exploded in use.

I don’t buy that. But even if I did:

uknowmorethanme

What good have drugs ever done for individuals and society as a whole? Drugs, protitution, crime rates, they all go hand-in-hand: where there’s one there’s almost always the other. Even if that weren’t the case the last thing I want is to be surounded by a bunch of high idiots everywhere I go.

beachgirlusa on October 19, 2009 at 11:43 PM

BTW, Obama’s has this, like, ULTIMATE set of tools… he can TOTALLY fix healthcare

corndog on October 20, 2009 at 12:29 AM

beachgirlusa on October 19, 2009 at 11:43 PM

Probably are and don’t realize it. 😛 Frequent any surf shops while at the beach? Dude…

Diane on October 20, 2009 at 6:28 AM

Diane

Guess I should say I don’t want to be surrounded by even more high idiots than usual lol

beachgirlusa on October 20, 2009 at 7:56 AM

Is Obama high?

Look at Obama’s eyes.

Johan Klaus on October 20, 2009 at 11:26 AM

Top Pick

I could think of someone else you might want to ask about…

Trump: I never made any recordings of Comey

Allahpundit Jun 22, 2017 2:01 PM

Bluff.

Hackers stole private data from election databases

John Sexton Jun 22, 2017 1:21 PM

Failure to protect the city

Big man on the Middle Eastern campus

Biased Americans see media as biased.

Tough times down on the liberal ranch

Will Nancy Pelosi survive this latest Dem disaster?

Andrew Malcolm Jun 22, 2017 8:41 AM

Eat quick, before it’s gone.

Slow your roll, boss

“I’m bothered by the lack of emerging evidence…”

FIrst look at the Senate health bill

John Sexton Jun 21, 2017 9:21 PM

Divide and conquer?

You know, I may have cracked the case for you, guys

“They’re still running against her and still winning races.”

“…the suspect is from Quebec and has a Canadian passport.”

When the Left lost their way on immigration

Jazz Shaw Jun 21, 2017 2:41 PM

It wasn’t all that long ago, really

“I personally watched some of these students go up to Chief Brown, right up to her face, and call her all kinds of names, cursing at her.”

Did the Queen “nix” a Trump visit to London?

Jazz Shaw Jun 21, 2017 12:41 PM

More like wishful thinking on the American left

Sometimes it’s hard. This was the hardest part

Did the polls get the Handel/Ossoff race wrong?

Allahpundit Jun 21, 2017 11:21 AM

Nah.

Physician, heal thyself

Maybe we’ll stay home and watch.

Good lack of work if you can get it

GOP takes 2 more special House races, meaning what?

Andrew Malcolm Jun 21, 2017 8:41 AM

Two more demoralizing moral victories for Dems.

Not a murder, but nearly as awful

GA Election results thread Update: Handel wins!

John Sexton Jun 20, 2017 7:10 PM

Late night?

7 p.m. ET: The election to end all elections

Allahpundit Jun 20, 2017 7:01 PM

Endgame.

Dashcam footage: The shooting of Philando Castile

Allahpundit Jun 20, 2017 6:31 PM

“Sir, I have to tell you that I do have a firearm on me.”

“Military personnel had to neutralize an individual.”

Because that’s pretty much the same thing, you see