Green Room

So, You Think You’re a ‘Victim,’ Huh?

posted at 12:19 pm on October 14, 2009 by

Nothing is quite so annoying as fake victimhood: Overprivileged people trying to elicit sympathy in the Oprah Age by claiming they are victimized by something that doesn’t actually harm them at all. And if you take the liberal MSM seriously, you have to believe that the entire world is being victimized by conservatives:

The key to this kind of nonsense is the liberal MSM’s willingness to exaggerate both the potential menace of conservatives and the helplessness of their victims. Beyond the transparent political bias involved, this phenomenon damages society in three ways:

1. It invites weak-minded people to join the Self-Pity Parade. Throughout the 1980s, the media pounded home the message that “Reaganomics” was devastating the poor, who were portrayed as helpless victims of trickle-down policies that only benefited rich Wall Street fat cats. If poor people believed that message, why should they even bother trying to improve their lives? Fortunately, many poor people were smart enough to ignore the media’s doom-and-gloom propaganda, and some of them are now the “top 5 percent” whom Democrats plan to tax to pay for everything.
  2. Fake dangers distract us from the real thing. While the media is out chasing phantoms — global warming, the Cheeseburger Menace, the scary people of South Carolina — people are dying every day in car accidents and innocent kids are being gunned down by drug gangsters. And, oh, by the way, al-Qaeda is still in the business of scheming up ways to kill Americans. But if you believe what you see in the MSM, the looming threat is that Rush Limbaugh might buy an NFL franchise.
  3. Phony victimhood devalues the experience of actual victims. There are today — right now, this very minute — thousands people whose lives have been affected by death, disease and other tragedies. Their daughter is suffering from leukemia, or their son has been wounded in Afghanistan, or their spouse has been killed in a highway accident. They turn on the TV and what do they see? Sob stories about Jessica Simpson’s missing maltipoo, Khloe Kardashian’s pre-nuptial agreement, and the latest on Jon and Kate. Really. Those are the kinds of “victims” the media genuinely care about: Celebrities who are good for ratings.

So it’s occasionally helpful to reflect on those rare MSM stories involving actual victims of genuine wrongs, like Jaycee Dugard, who was kidnapped at 11, repeatedly raped by a perverted psychopath, and kept captive for 18 years. Now she’s on the cover of People magazine and guess what her attitude is? She’s grateful to have survived:

After being held against her will for 18 years, much of it in a backyard hell straight out of a horror film, Jaycee Dugard wants the world to know:
“I’m so happy to be back with my family,” she tells PEOPLE.
Now living in seclusion with her mom, Terry Probyn, 50, and the two daughters – Angel, 15, and Starlit, 11 – fathered by her alleged kidnapper, Phillip Garrido, Dugard, 29, has begun the slow process of recovery. She rides horses, cooks meals and is thinking of collaborating on a book.
“They live a surprisingly normal life, considering the circumstances,” says Terry’s stepmother, Joan Curry.

Happy to be with her family? Living “a surprisingly normal life”? After all that she’s been through? Amazing.

Think about that, next time you encounter some liberal idiot spreading hyterical fear of the Terroristic Extremism of Glenn Beck.

Recently in the Green Room:

Comments

I absolutely LOVE engaging the victims. As I am oft to remind my twin, I didn’t get the “guilt” gene so I can argue from fact. Living in the DC metro area, I hear “victims” stories everyday on the train, the metro etc. When I engage some of them, they like to tell me I don’t understantd what its like.
Well, I have TWO gay brothers-in-law, a black brother-in-law, a father-in-law in a wheelchair and a few lawyers in the family. (I consider those handicaps as well /sarc). WHen I hear about “being a minority” I pull out my favorite response.
“I am a white, educated, employed, able-bodied, Christian, heterosexual male”. I am the true minority in this country. So when I “lose out”, “get shafted” or simply fail to produce what do I use as my victim lever? Was I fired for being gay? Being handicapped? BEing colored? Being Muslim?
Nope. I have ONLY my failure to meet expectations and I accept that. Every. Day. Of. My. Life.

Cry me a river if you feel “the man” held you down. Go get your gubmint handout and stop whining.

Thanks all for letting me vent. :)

redneckjoe on October 14, 2009 at 2:04 PM

What happens when everyone is a “victim”?

I get so sick of whiners. I had an adult family member whose modus operandi was to whine whenever something didn’t go her way. She was the eternal victim, and she blackmailed everyone with it. I learned to hate whiners with a passion.

That’s probably one more reason that I don’t listen to Oprah. Every time I hear one of these people start wailing and gnashing his teeth because his parents used plastic utensils instead of stainless or something, and traumatized him for life, I feel the same old exasperation start to rise, and I walk away. They’ll get no sympathy from me.

hachiban on October 14, 2009 at 3:38 PM

What happens when everyone is a “victim”?

hachiban on October 14, 2009 at 3:38 PM

If you’ve read Ayn Rand’s Atlas Shrugged, you remember she talked about this. Under the socialist principle — “from each according to his ability, to each according to his need” — ability is punished and need rewarded.

Your ability to earn your own living becomes a liability, as you are singled out for higher taxes and hindered by regulations designed to take away your hard-earned advantages and provide unearned advantages to the needy, who get subsidized with the money forcibly taken away from you.

Ergo, needs multiply, while ability becomes scarce. It takes a genuinely perverse conception of “social justice” to imagine that such a result is beneficial to anyone. But then you realize that “benefits” for the needy are not really the object of socialism. Rather, the socialist is motivated by a hateful and envious spirit, and aims to destroy that which others create, simply because the socialist resents their possession of the creative ability he lacks.

The socialist is never a person of genuine ability. His talent is for criticism, inspiring others to emulate his own small and resentful spirit. Think about this: For what talent or ability was Ted Kennedy famous? What special skill does Nancy Pelosi possess? What is Jesse Jackson’s great accomplishment?

Nothing. Nothing. Nothing.

In terms of creativity and producing anything truly worthwhile, such people are useless — and worse than useless, as they are consistently and purposefully destructive of what other people produce. Their incomes are derived from parasitical and predatory attacks on the wealth created by others, and they themselves never even pay their “fair share” of taxes, as they so adamantly insist that others must do.

We need no specific charge of wrongdoing — no “smoking gun” of embezzlement or perjury — to say that these vile creatures are corrupt. Their entire political careers have been devoted to larceny and fraud on the grandest possible scale, as they endeavor to swindle trillions of dollars in order to build monuments to their own pathological vanity, and deceive the entire world into believing that these acts of theft constitute philanthropic humanitarianism.

Of disgusting frauds like Pelosi, et al., we might well say, borrowing the phrase that Mary McCarthy so aptly applied to the communist playwright Lilian Hellman, every word they speak is a lie, including “and” and “the.”

The Other McCain on October 14, 2009 at 4:23 PM

***
Sarah Palin can tell you a lot about being victimized by the Left Wing Media–aka American Pravda. And about being stabbed in the back by her GOP “friends”.
***
No crying–she is just “hanging back” out of range and doing some highly effective Facebook and real book sniping from the woods.
***
She believes in the old adage–DON’T GET MAD–GET EVEN! SARAH’CUDA for POTUS, JOHN BOLTON for VP in 2012.
***
John Bibb
***

rocketman on October 14, 2009 at 11:51 PM

After reading Atlas Shrugged, every time I hear “from each according to his ability, to each according to his need” it sends chills down my spine. Everybody should read that book to understand the result of true socialism.

CityFish on October 15, 2009 at 1:44 PM

I had a coworker from Pakistan who I became friendly with and he drove me crazy after a while because he was constantly playing the victim card. If somebody was rude to him he decided it was because he was “brown.” If his boss didn’t give him a promotion it was because he was “brown”. When I accused him once of being pushy he said “you’re only saying that cause I’m brown”. Needless to say, we’re not so friendly anymore.
I’m in a male dominated industry and I’m a woman. I feel like I have to work a bit harder to prove myself, but I’ve never seen myself as a victim. If somebody is rude, I assume they’re just a jerk and when my boss didn’t promote me, I assumed it was because I hadn’t been assertive enough. It’s also a much more powerful frame of mind to be in because you accept that nobody is stopping you from reaching your goals except yourself.

CityFish on October 15, 2009 at 1:57 PM

Female in a male dominated industry is exactly my position too. I sure was put through my paces, had to work harder and longer hours, and it was worth it. I “earned” the respect I get from my male counterparts and I am very proud of that fact.

elclynn on October 16, 2009 at 10:39 AM