Green Room

Just in Case You Were Ever Tempted to Envy Michelle Malkin

posted at 5:13 pm on October 12, 2009 by

On Twitter this morning, one of my friends was suggesting to Andy Levy that I should be booked on the Fox News late-night program “Red Eye.” Fortunately, as I explained, my “face for radio” prevents me from becoming TV famous.

In the 21st-century 24/7 cable-TV era, it sometimes seems there are two kinds of people: People who are TV-famous and people desperately trying to become TV-famous. Back when I was a young man with rock-star dreams, losers who wanted to impress you would drop the names of famous record producers who were supposedly interested in their latest demo tape. Nowadays, the same type of people are bragging about how their agent is this close to getting them a “development” deal for a reality-TV show. But enough about Levi Johnston . . .

The confusion between fame and success causes people to ignore the real hazards of fame. I remember how Michelle Malkin was nearly attacked by a mob last summer during the Democratic National Convention. She’s both successful and famous, but being a famous conservative exposes her to all kinds of hateful attacks — and not just from The Washington Post:

Priscilla Cortez
to writemalkin@gmail.com
date Sun, Oct 11, 2009 at 1:40 PM
subject TIP
I feel bad for your kids; to be raised in such a hate-filled household must be devastating.
I wish somebody could call CPS on your Asian ass before your children develop the same hatred running through your Filipino veins.

What causes people to feel the urge to send e-mails like that? Surely, it is not merely politics. Without very much effort, I could grab a stack of business cards out of my desk drawer and give you the names of two dozen influential people in Washington as conservative as Michelle Malkin. But they’re not TV-famous, you see, and so they’re spared that kind of venom.

People who are TV-famous are attacked because, in the minds of the more idiotic viewers, they are not human beings, but rather symbols. Hollywood movie stars have their stalkers; Fox News personalities have their “progressive, tolerant” senders of hateful e-mail. And as bizarre as such hate-filled messages must seem to the average Hot Air reader, imagine how it appears to people who actually know Michelle personally.

Part of this, honestly, can only be understood as envy or sour grapes: “She’s famous. I’m not. I hate her.” This bothers me because, really, the main reason I ever wanted to be a rock star was so I could be cool enough to hang out with John Lennon.

Has anyone gotten hate-mail from Mark David Chapman lately?

Recently in the Green Room:

Comments

Priscilla appears to have a few rather deep seated problems of her own I’d say.

jeanie on October 12, 2009 at 5:36 PM

While there are people on the left and right who spew venom at famous people they’re ideologically at odds to, liberal authors, writers, politicians, etc., can run to the big media, which is perfectly happy to publicize the worst of those attacks and then generalize that this represents all conservatives. The venom on the left in contrast is covered up by those same people, because it undermines their world view that 99.9 percent of the people who agree with them ideologically are smarter, more moral and kinder and all around better children of Gaia than conservatives.

(On a side issue, seeing the anger being spouted by more and more special interests on the left at Obama for not moving fast enough on their promises, and seeing how much the left has inveighed against the hate speech directed at the president, it’s going to be fun to watch how well these people who have trouble controlling their hated against the right are going to be able to control their baser instincts if the president continues to disappoint them.)

jon1979 on October 12, 2009 at 5:59 PM

Fortunately MM is tougher than most (ok, probably all) of us. But it’s almost funny to me: to write a hateful e-mail that raises the issue of her kids living in a hate-filled house?

darkpixel on October 12, 2009 at 6:07 PM

That email’s a pretty clear example of straight up racism I’d say.

Janeane? Your move.

inviolet on October 12, 2009 at 6:24 PM

Does this “Priscilla” critter by any chance work in the Whine House ?

macncheez on October 12, 2009 at 6:31 PM

Since I despise Democrats and would like nothing better than to wake up one morning and find out Our Lord has sent them to “their just rewards”, leaving us a perfect, blissful planet, it’s hard for me tp criticize other people for their feelings.
Obviously attacking someone and bringing their kids into it is beyond loathsome, but since it’s a favorite pastime of liberal Democrats like Letterman, it’s bound top happen.

Jeff from WI on October 12, 2009 at 6:33 PM

Our Michelle is in good company. Rush, Glenn, Hannity, and many others. If these people are doing and saying things that get these people in a snit, those must be getting to them. The truth is a very powerful thing and those who do not want to see the truth, will attack. I just pay all those under attack will be safe. There are very nasty people out there.
L

letget on October 12, 2009 at 6:47 PM

I had read this post from MM early this morning and have had all day to ruminate.

Over the last 50 years, since I first learned what hate speech was at the age of 5, I’ve heard less and less of it on the street. And since I’ve been communicating on the “internet” (BBS 20 years ago was my first) I don’t recall ever seeing a post, email nor advert that was as venomous as this. Maybe I just don’t know where to look. I feel confident they are out there. I really do expect to see some generic foul ramblings.

But to see that someone would make a directed, personal assault? Kinda has me befuzzled. Would this behavior occur face-to-face? Did these folks feel, as many auto drivers do who flip off other drivers at 70mph, that they’ve somehow got some force field around them protecting them from…..what? Retribution? Or are they trying to incite an equally repulsive response.

Some weird behavioral psychology going on here. Anger and hatred do more damage to one’s own heart than to the target. Save for physical violence, sticks and stones can break my bones……..isn’t that taught anymore?

Robert17 on October 12, 2009 at 6:52 PM

Robert17 on October 12, 2009 at 6:52 PM

I have to laugh. I suppose you have not ever read right4life defend his/her positions on HotAir? That stuff is positively venomous.

Anyway–

Mr. McCain,

What’s up with this?

Besides which, I’ve got a face for radio.

I’ve always had trouble with that I’ve got phrase; what is the unvarnished truth about its usage?

ericdijon on October 12, 2009 at 8:16 PM

ericdijon on October 12, 2009 at 8:16 PM

Just colloquial usage. I tend to write “by ear,” and in real life, people use “I’ve got” that way. I understand intellectually that the similar meaning of “have” and “got” in this construction makes “got” superfluous, but it’s not a phrase you think about when you’re writing by ear.

If I filed a story and an editor changed it to “I have a face for radio,” I wouldn’t object, but I don’t usually expect the Grammar Police to be vigilantly watching a mere blog.

The Other McCain on October 12, 2009 at 9:59 PM

I’d say a Beer Summit is in order.

Seriously, Michelle, I’m sorry you have to get hit with cr@p like this for speaking out what so many of us feel but don’t have the platform to shout from. Thanks for what you do.

SouperConservative on October 12, 2009 at 10:35 PM

The lack of tolerance and civility…. Oh wait… some leftist was recently preaching civility.

There is panic in King’s court and rats are coming out.

MM,
Keep going. You are doing great. This email is proof that you have leftists in seizures.

antisocial on October 12, 2009 at 11:08 PM

Think about it this way: Do you suppose that there would be an angry mob scene if Rachel Maddow showed up at a Tea Party? Would she need bodyguards to protect her?

I suppose Maddow gets her share of hateful e-mails, but as someone pointed out, this is balanced by the worshipfulness Maddow gets from the MSM, whereas the MSM actually seem determined to incite attacks on Malkin.

The Other McCain on October 12, 2009 at 11:21 PM

In addition to being my idol, I am lucky enough to be able to say that Michelle Malkin was my guest for an one hour interview on AACONS, during which she addressed the issue of the racist attacks she has to endure being a “conservative of color”. Hope all will listen and enjoy.

DarkKnight3565 on October 12, 2009 at 11:22 PM

This is just disgusting, but it is NOT a surprise to me. Through observation over the 41 years of my life I’ve discovered that more often than not, when a bigot presents him or herself, said bigot will wind up being a leftie.

The left is the ONLY group in this country who still insists on identifying everyone via sex, color or religious affiliation. That’s why I have to laugh when they try to call folks who don’t agree with Obama racists.

The case could be made that those who find themselves falling back on race as the reason for everything bad are in fact the true racists.

Mad Mad Monica on October 13, 2009 at 9:12 AM

Too bad you didnt publish Prissy’s email

bill30097 on October 13, 2009 at 1:06 PM

The Other McCain on October 12, 2009 at 9:59 PM

Good. I go by the Lewis Carroll methodology of “a word is a word…” You have to admire the artistry of taking appropriate license with grammar. I think your editor should let you be you with your writing rather than you be him.

ericdijon on October 13, 2009 at 8:25 PM

Stop hiding, R.S. I think you’re pretty good looking.

Connie on October 13, 2009 at 11:16 PM

darkpixel on October 12, 2009 at 6:07 PM

Lib logic. They’re not capable of “hate”, of course. They’re just righteously indignant, which excuses everything. They hate the “haters”, i.e., everyone who disagrees with them.

ddrintn on October 17, 2009 at 12:41 AM