Green Room

The First Lady’s First Full Measure of Devotion (UPDATE: All for Naught!)

posted at 9:59 am on October 2, 2009 by

Michelle Malkin has the entire story, though, I warn you: Have your hankies ready. (Also best not to be drinking coffee when you read this.) It is the story of a brave woman who, not long after experiencing pride in her country for the first time in her life, made the ultimate sacrifice for that country. Well . . . not ultimate exactly. Not sacrifice exactly either. What was it the FLATUS — I mean FLOTUS — was talking about when she said

“As much of a sacrifice as people say this is for me or Oprah or the president to come for these few days, so many of you in this room have been working for years to bring this bid home.”

Whatever. In any case, the commissions for memorial plaques have already started flying out of the coffers of the NEA.

UPDATE: Oh, no, is there no God in heaven? Oh, the humanity. How can this be? Chi-town bumped in the first round? After the First Lady gave so, so much! I for one am lovin’ it. Meantime, from the Corner:

• Rich Lowry: It’s not a big thing, it might not even move his poll numbers, but in the back of people’s minds it will create the idea that maybe he’s not the silver-tongued convincer-in-chief everyone says he is.
  • Jonah Goldberg: Where is the outrage at the IOC’s transparent racism?

Best reaction of the day (so far) is Matt Drudge’s headline “The Ego Has Landed” (h/t Barbara at the Greenroom).

My contender: Leggo My Ego.

Recently in the Green Room:

Comments

Families of our military would beg to differ with Michelle Obama on the meaning of the word “sacrifice.”

publiuspen on October 2, 2009 at 10:16 AM

Love the plaque.

Michelle’s selflessness is already legendary. Why, if she weren’t First Lady, she could still be making lots of money at a job (that is only really half a job) consisting mostly of turning people away from hospital. Nice!

Or she could spend more time shopping for $5000+ sneakers.

Etc…

Track-A-'Crat on October 2, 2009 at 10:18 AM

One day, Howard, I will both leave a comment on a post of yours before you do so on mine, and I won’t also link the comment back to my site.

One day.

Track-A-'Crat on October 2, 2009 at 10:18 AM

Ah, yes, the sacrifice of seeing a beautiful city like Copenhagen vs. south side Chicago.

texabama on October 2, 2009 at 10:25 AM

publiuspen: Everyone would beg to differ with her.

Track: It’s my pleasure to comment on your posts. You cover good stuff. You’re the man.

Howard Portnoy on October 2, 2009 at 10:29 AM

The next time the Obama’s call on Americans to make sacrifices for the good of country, this is the one I’m signing up for.

DamnCat on October 2, 2009 at 10:46 AM

Me too, Cat. A nice, taxpayer-funded trip to Copenhagen on a lush taxpayer-funded private jet, accompanied by a full staff of taxpayer-funded flunkies to prepare my gourmet meals, tote my massive mounds of luggage, and take care of all the other tedious parts of travelling so that I don’t have to bothered. Oh, what I won’t do for my country!

AZCoyote on October 2, 2009 at 10:57 AM

Everyone would beg to differ with her.

Howard Portnoy on October 2, 2009 at 10:29 AM

Everyone with humility.

publiuspen on October 2, 2009 at 11:22 AM

Howard – thank you kindly. Drop me a line through my blog, would you please?

Track-A-'Crat on October 2, 2009 at 11:25 AM

I’m truly glad I haven’t seen any video of this performance. It’s so…juvenile. This isn’t how big people make a persuasive pitch — by suggesting the rest of the world should give them what they want because their daddies had diseases.

Well. For some reason the “plaque” image didn’t download for me. But I bet it’s a corker.

J.E. Dyer on October 2, 2009 at 11:54 AM

AZCoyote – Awesome! Some company for my misery.

Best part: we can fail epically and still be just as effective as The President of the United States! and Oprah too!

DamnCat on October 2, 2009 at 12:31 PM

J.E., there is video, I believe, if you’re of a mind to watch it. You may want to wait until your lunch is digested.

It occurs to me btw that this rejection shows that maybe the world is listening to Obama. He has been emphasizing since Day 1 that the U.S. is just another unexceptional country. Maybe the IOC heeded his words and decided to give it to a more exceptional country.

Howard Portnoy on October 2, 2009 at 12:42 PM

Howard Portnoy on October 2, 2009 at 12:42 PM

HP — I think that’s a True Dat moment. It looks like Rio has been selected; and frankly, I think it’s what we should have been expecting. Much of the world outside the US is looking to the “BRIC” nations — Brazil, Russia, India, China — to form the economic and political leadership of the future. It’s amazing how Americans have rarely even heard this acronym, and yet how common it is in the foreign press and fever swamps of foreign punditry.

You can be the always-political IOC had at least one eye on the futurist sentiment of the BRIC phenomenon, in picking Brazil. Of course, it’s also the first Games to be held in South America, and I’ve been figuring Brazil would get the nod for 2016 anyway, because of that. But I’m betting it wasn’t the only thing at work.

J.E. Dyer on October 2, 2009 at 1:04 PM

… “you can bet the always-political IOC…”

Sigh.

J.E. Dyer on October 2, 2009 at 1:05 PM

“you can bet the always-political IOC…”

J.E., thank you for clarifying. I’ve tried being the IOC, and they called me a racist.

Howard Portnoy on October 2, 2009 at 1:07 PM

JED – that’s an exclt point in re BRIC, and I agree that many everyday Americans would be surprised as just how popular, to the point of being ideological and unquestionable, the notion on the international left is that the US is “over” as far as world economic and political leadership is concerned. That this sentiment is shared by many in positions of power and influence, up to and including the POTUS (POST-AMERICAN WORLD tucked under arm), may in part test the power of self-fulfilling prophecy, just BO is not just the main exponent of American declinism, but, so much like Jimmy Carter 30 years ago, amounts to walking proof – or seems to.

CK MacLeod on October 2, 2009 at 1:46 PM

J.E. and Colin. I’m not sure this bears directly on BRIC discussion, but it seemed like a coincidence to see this so soon after reading your comments:

Howard Portnoy on October 2, 2009 at 3:19 PM

(HP, ZC seems to be working fairly well – you’ll see that UK Times excerpted as Contention of the Day.)

CK MacLeod on October 2, 2009 at 3:43 PM

may’ve spoke too soon

CK MacLeod on October 2, 2009 at 3:44 PM

Definitely spoke too soon. I’ve tried to post twice in the last hour with no joy. The power of the 12th Podhorists is pretty scary.

J.E. Dyer on October 2, 2009 at 6:05 PM