Green Room

IBALWW

posted at 4:50 pm on October 2, 2009 by

A regular feature on Zombie Contentions, “It’s Been a Long (Wee-)Week” :

From the top, absolutely not in order of importance:

Olympics and more Olympics:

Via NRO:

Ramesh eats his hat.
Top 10 reasons Chicago didn’t get the job, from an email I wish I’d written

10. Dead people can’t vote at IOC meetings

9. Obama distracted by 25 min meeting with Gen. McChrystal

8. Who cares if Obama couldn’t talk the IOC into Chicago? He’ll be able to talk Iran out of nukes.

7. The impediment is Israel still building settlements.

6. Obviously no president would have been able to acomplish it.

5. We’ve been quite clear and said all along that we didn’t want the Olympics.

4. This isn’t about the number of Olympics “lost”, it’s about the number of Olympics “saved” or “created”.

3. Clearly not enough wise Latina judges on the committee

2. Because the IOC is racist.

1. It’s George Bush’s fault.

Jim Gerhaghty: “But he’s our arrogant blowhard…” [h/t lta]

Michelle’s tearjerker speech.  Who’s crying now?

I’m also asking as a daughter.

See, my dad would have been so proud to witness these Games in Chicago. And I know they would have meant something much more to him, too.

You see, in my dad’s early thirties, he was diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis.  He believed that his little girl should be taught no less than his son, [like this has anything to do with the Olympics coming to Chicago.  Really, this is about me and my story and my dad’s disability which is also my story].  So he taught me how to throw a ball and a mean right hook better than any [other] boy in my neighborhood [IOC members glance at Barry: is that a bruise?] But more importantly, my dad taught us the fundamental rules of the game, rules that continue to guide our lives today: to engage with honor, with dignity, and fair play. […, arm twisting, knee-capping, mail fraud, bribery, etc, etc…  And, Dad’s gone now, but he’s still with us in spirit, and he still votes.  Just like some of your dead members could if they lived in Chicago.  In fact, maybe Chicago can host the first “Post Mortem Olympics,” with Election Day Decatholon: Voting six times and counting four.]

Barry still has a chance at the Olympics: maybe they’ll make sitzpinkling an Olympic event.
General Stanley McCrystal may become the object of a man-crush, just not the kind the guys around Obama are used to.

In an oblique acknowledgment of the tricky political terrain, General McChrystal said there had been no pressure on him from military superiors to scale down his troop request […]

As if in an afterthought, he added, laughing, that there was no certainty he would always be so free to speak so plainly. “They may change their minds and crush me some day,” he said.

Charles K. gives credit to Barack Obama:

Indonesia and Samoa waiting for some of Harvey Weinstein’s compassion, but maybe his moral GPS doesn’t show distant places with no cameras.

Obama banking on his marvelous persuasive skills, like the ones he used on the IOC, to get Iran to toddle back to community of nations.  At some point, maybe someone will brooch the subject of Nantanz.

This conservative’s healthcare plan: Congressman Grayson’s career meets the voter death panel.

And last, but not least, Jim Treacher’s Top 10 Reasons to Take That Job With Letterman. [Content warning, although if you’ve lived through the Clinton presidency, you’ll wonder what I’m talking about.]

Recently in the Green Room:

Comments

Well, it is George W. Bush’s fault. And the IOC is racist.

If I were a Chicagoan, I’d be dancing in the streets right about now. Bullet dodged.

Actually, however, there may be a Mother of All Number One Reasons why the IOC dropped Chicago on its arse in round one. The IOC leadership know an organization much better at graft and corrpution when they see it. The IOC trying to wrangle Chicago would be like Appalachian State taking the field against Florida.

J.E. Dyer on October 2, 2009 at 6:13 PM

JED: just like you to blow in with the perfect analysis. Mind you, I thought the Big Bird dress spelled doom from the git go. All of her outfits were by Chicago designers. As the Scarlet Pimpernel would say, “Law, I say, your tailor has betrayed you.”

Barbara on October 2, 2009 at 7:19 PM

Thanks, Barbara, for bringing up that delicate matter. Does La Première Dame not know it’s October? Although I suppose she’d be courting allusions to the Great Pumpkin if she showed up in a tasteful autumn orange hue.

J.E. Dyer on October 2, 2009 at 8:34 PM

Please, no more Krauthammer. He’s a RINO style wimp, not a conservative.

Jeff from WI on October 2, 2009 at 10:55 PM

JED, I had the same reaction. I can’t imagine the IOC being willing to share their bribes with anybody. After seeing the Utah Winter Olympics, I concluded that the whole franchise has become just another big boondoggle, and I wouldn’t care if we ever had it here again. It’s corrupting, way too expensive, and it now corrupts the athletes, as well.

flataffect on October 3, 2009 at 2:40 AM

Big Bird was on the other side, and his international clout should not be underestimated.

Don’t know where I first saw that – apparently NOT HotAir

CK MacLeod on October 3, 2009 at 11:34 AM

Top Pick

Big government never contracts. It only grows more powerful

Top Pick

It’s only a “ban” until it becomes inconvenient

The decline and fall of Obamacare and the AHCA

Jazz Shaw Jun 24, 2017 8:31 AM

This was all over before it began

Fixing crime in America is a complicated issue

Taylor Millard Jun 23, 2017 8:31 PM

Cops alone won’t solve it.

Democrats forgot all about the “era of good feelings”

“Bernie and Jane Sanders have lawyered up.”

Winning isn’t everything. It is the only thing

Trump signs VA reform bill into law

John Sexton Jun 23, 2017 2:41 PM

A new era of something.

“…died suddenly in less than a week just after his return to the U.S.”

The shortsightedness of “Denounce and Preserve”

Taylor Millard Jun 23, 2017 12:11 PM

Pragmatism for the sake of pragmatism doesn’t always work.

Perhaps if you threw in a new car?

Gay marriages still growing, but not as fast

Andrew Malcolm Jun 23, 2017 10:31 AM

More, but not as quickly.

Should’ve stuck with the pirate gig. It was working for him

The battle for the rubble of Raqqa is underway

Andrew Malcolm Jun 23, 2017 8:51 AM

Won’t be much left.

Your list of demands is a publicity stunt

“The jobs are still leaving. Nothing has stopped.”

Bad vendor. Bad! No cookie!

“So you want me to sing my praises, is that what you’re saying?”

Why would we possibly want that?

“I mean he sold our country to The Russians.”

I could think of someone else you might want to ask about…

Trump: I never made any recordings of Comey

Allahpundit Jun 22, 2017 2:01 PM

Bluff.

Hackers stole private data from election databases

John Sexton Jun 22, 2017 1:21 PM

Failure to protect the city

Big man on the Middle Eastern campus

Biased Americans see media as biased.

Tough times down on the liberal ranch

Will Nancy Pelosi survive this latest Dem disaster?

Andrew Malcolm Jun 22, 2017 8:41 AM

Eat quick, before it’s gone.