Green Room

The Polanski case: It’s the consent, stupid

posted at 10:00 am on September 30, 2009 by

It’s really not difficult. The Polanski case comes down to one thing: Consent.

A 13-year-old girl cannot consent to having sex with a 44-year-old man. In fact, a 13-year-old girl is not old enough to consent to having sex with a 30-year-old, a 20-year-old, a 14-year-old, or even another 13-year-old. It doesn’t matter that Polanski plied the girl with alcohol and drugs. It doesn’t matter that he claims he didn’t know how old she was.

It’s the fact that a 13-year-old child cannot consent to having sex, for the obvious reason that the child is thirteen years old.

It’s reprehensible that Whoopi Goldberg said “not necessarily” to the question “Would I want my 14-year-old daughter having sex with somebody?” The answer should be a plain, simple: No. Absolutely not.

When Anne Applebaum says that the child asked permission to be photographed in the jacuzzi, she implies that that was asking permission for whatever happened next. What happened next was rape. It frankly wouldn’t matter if the child’s mother had been right there and given explicit permission for Polanski to have sex with her daughter—the fact that the child cannot consent still applies.

There is no defense of this case whatsoever. There is no, “Yes, he did a bad thing, BUT” leading into a long-winded treatise on how the poor man has suffered all these years by not being able to come back to America, and is forced to live a life of luxury in Europe.

My heart bleeds.

It’s the consent. A thirteen-year-old child cannot consent to sex. Period.

Cross-posted here.

Recently in the Green Room:

Comments

But Meryl, don’t you get it? These artists are just better than us and therefore deserve special treatment. I for one would buy a brand new rope to lynch some Hollywood pedophile who raped one of my children. Your average child rapist, well, I might just grab whatever was lying around.

I’d say that I’m surprised at people trying to defend the indefensible, but I’m not.

Physics Geek on September 30, 2009 at 10:28 AM

And now, for some clarity.

Meryl is exactly right – it’s the consent.

I’ll go a step further; it’s the forcible rape of a drugged child.

Short sentences, and clear language, make this easy.
Long trips into relativism, and flowery paens to his ‘art’ cloud the real issue.

As is often the case; when you’re looking for a stripped-down way of seeing an issue, look to the military.

The military gets it right

Read what the UCMJ says about this – it’s very clear, without a lot of subtextural nonsense.

massrighty on September 30, 2009 at 11:55 AM

And now, for some clarity.

Meryl is exactly right – it’s the consent.

I’ll go a step further; it’s the forcible rape of a drugged child.

Short sentences, and clear language, make this easy.

The military gets it right

(sorry for the double post – link didn’t post the first time.)

massrighty on September 30, 2009 at 11:57 AM

I just do not understand how folks are just not getting it. It doesn’t even matter if this girl did consent, which she clearly did not as the transcripts show. Remember the “To Catch A Predator” series with NBC’s Chris Hansen? Those girls posed online as willing participants and even in some cases, it can be argued that they egged on the perps. It doesn’t matter. They all went to jail and are forever filed as sexual offenders because they broke the law. The law states a 13 year old cannot consent. Period. We are a nation of laws. He committed rape. Period. HE GOES TO JAIL.

Opposite Day on September 30, 2009 at 1:56 PM

Here is the victim’s full testimony at The Smoking Gun (link).

People should read this over and over till they internalize what “rape” is. Raping a child is exactly that.

David Blue on September 30, 2009 at 8:59 PM

Top Pick

Bad vendor. Bad! No cookie!

Top Pick

“So you want me to sing my praises, is that what you’re saying?”

Why would we possibly want that?

“I mean he sold our country to The Russians.”

I could think of someone else you might want to ask about…

Trump: I never made any recordings of Comey

Allahpundit Jun 22, 2017 2:01 PM

Bluff.

Hackers stole private data from election databases

John Sexton Jun 22, 2017 1:21 PM

Failure to protect the city

Big man on the Middle Eastern campus

Biased Americans see media as biased.

Tough times down on the liberal ranch

Will Nancy Pelosi survive this latest Dem disaster?

Andrew Malcolm Jun 22, 2017 8:41 AM

Eat quick, before it’s gone.

Slow your roll, boss

“I’m bothered by the lack of emerging evidence…”

FIrst look at the Senate health bill

John Sexton Jun 21, 2017 9:21 PM

Divide and conquer?

You know, I may have cracked the case for you, guys

“They’re still running against her and still winning races.”

“…the suspect is from Quebec and has a Canadian passport.”

When the Left lost their way on immigration

Jazz Shaw Jun 21, 2017 2:41 PM

It wasn’t all that long ago, really

“I personally watched some of these students go up to Chief Brown, right up to her face, and call her all kinds of names, cursing at her.”

Did the Queen “nix” a Trump visit to London?

Jazz Shaw Jun 21, 2017 12:41 PM

More like wishful thinking on the American left

Sometimes it’s hard. This was the hardest part

Did the polls get the Handel/Ossoff race wrong?

Allahpundit Jun 21, 2017 11:21 AM

Nah.

Physician, heal thyself

Maybe we’ll stay home and watch.

Good lack of work if you can get it

GOP takes 2 more special House races, meaning what?

Andrew Malcolm Jun 21, 2017 8:41 AM

Two more demoralizing moral victories for Dems.

Not a murder, but nearly as awful