Green Room

Descent into comedy: Our “safe schools” czar

posted at 9:06 am on September 24, 2009 by

Let’s officially declare this the Onion presidency.

From Fox News, background on Kevin Jennings, our safe schools czar:

President Obama’s “safe schools czar” is a former schoolteacher who has advocated promoting homosexuality in schools, written about his past drug abuse, expressed his contempt for religion and detailed an incident in which he did not report an underage student who told him he was having sex with older men.

Conservatives are up in arms about the appointment of Kevin Jennings, Obama’s director of the Office of Safe and Drug Free Schools, saying he is too radical for the job.

C’mon, you crazy conservative parents. What’s not to like?

But a professor at Grove City College in Pennsylvania, Warren Throckmorton, has produced an audio recording of a speech Jennings gave in 2000 at a GLSEN rally in Iowa, in which Jennings made it clear that he believed the student was sexually active:

“I said, ‘What were you doing in Boston on a school night, Brewster?’ He got very quiet, and he finally looked at me and said, ‘Well I met someone in the bus station bathroom and I went home with him.’ High school sophomore, 15 years old’ I looked at Brewster and said, ‘You know, I hope you knew to use a condom.’” [Audio is available on the professor’s Web site.]

There’s a fuller account of the conversation at the link.

Read the rest of the Fox story for more unsavory details. It’s not what most of us mean when we talk about our children being “safe” at school.

Cross-posted here.

Recently in the Green Room:

Comments

War is Peace; Freedom is Slavery; Ignorance is Strength.

Niko on September 24, 2009 at 9:19 AM

And we wonder why our students do so poorly in math, science and critical thinking. We need to focus on teaching, not promoting lifestyle choices. This is just another bureaucratic position without merit, regardless of who fills it.

texabama on September 24, 2009 at 10:19 AM

“Safe schools” evidently means “safe sex in or out of school.” The quote is rather damning — do whatever you want, just make sure you use a condom. Obama’s interpretation of safety priorities appears to be at odds with that of the typical citizen.

jwolf on September 24, 2009 at 10:38 AM

This is like letting Al-Queda guard our best weapons unsupervised.

it’s worse, because I’m sure there will be some kind of gay propaganda forced on our schoolchildren.

UNREPENTANT CONSERVATIVE CAPITOLIST on September 24, 2009 at 10:50 AM

I talked to my dad a while back and he told me, how when he grew up in Texas in the 50′s and 60′s he could bring his shotgun to school, because lots of kids did – and they went hunting after school with them.

Take moral absolutes out of the equation, teach that “each culture is equally moral”, and destroy the ideas of right and wrong – and this loser product of the 60′s and 70′s is what you get.

He failed to report the sexual abuse of a teenager, PURELY based on sexual orientation. I wonder if he ever checked up on that kid and found out if he’d suffered PTSD after being used up by some perv he met in a bus station bathroom?

Doubt it – that’s be “homophobia”.

I don’t care WHAT your sexual orientation is – it should not be taught nor advocated in schools.

Seriously, WTF is wrong with these “adults” who honestly justify this crap to themselves!?

Steven