Green Room

Your Unofficial ‘Ongoing Self-Destruction of LGF’s Charles Johnson’ Thread

posted at 6:14 pm on September 21, 2009 by

Last night, Ace of Spades complained that his commenters have been hijacking every thread to discuss the disastrous self-immolation of Charles Johnson — what Jim Hoft of Gateway Pundit has called the “Little Green Meltdown.”

Ever since he attacked me for covering the 9/12 March On DC, I’ve been at war with Johnson, having sworn the ancient Gaelic war oath of Clan Cameron: Chlanna nan con thigibh a so’s gheibh sibh feoil! (“Sons of the hounds, come here and get flesh!”)

In case you’re joining the story in progress, Charles Johnson of Little Green Footballs was once among the most influential conservative bloggers. He co-founded Pajamas Media, but left PJM in 2007 and, shortly thereafter, began to see “fascists” everywhere:

So far as I can discover, this all started in October 2007 when Johnson attacked Pamela Geller, a longtime blog-buddy of mine, for attending a “counter-jihad” conference in Brussels, Belgium. . . .
Johnson began throwing more and more conservatives under his Little Green Bus, calling them “fascists” and so forth. The monomaniacal relentlessness of his attacks has finally compelled nearly every conservative blog — including such stalwarts as Powerline, Riehl World View, Gateway Pundit, Ace of Spades and The Jawa Report, to name but a few — to repudiate Johnson, and Michelle Malkin’s HotAir.com recently designated LGF a “Left” site.

You can read the rest of that, but the story isn’t over yet. With the can’t-look-away horror of driving past a deadly car wreck, the entire conservative blogosphere has been gripped with lurid fascination as Johnson continues his self-destructive path to full-bore left-wing lunacy.

As the disillusioned ex-Lizards who’ve formed 2.0 Blogmocracy now chronicle on a daily basis, Johnson and his hench-people are conducting a relentless purge at Little Green Footballs, banning anyone suspected of disloyalty. Yesterday, Johnson banned three long-time LGF commenters: Shug, Baldilocks and Da Tech Guy. Johnson’s atavistic scheme of banning his way to blogospheric glory inspired a video that Ace posted last night:

Having offered my own blog as a recovery zone for members of the growing fraternity of Ex-Lizards Pseudonymous, I’ve noticed the same distracting ”let’s talk about LGF” problem in the Hot Air comments that Ace has been experiencing. So without authorization from anyone, I’ve created this Green Room post. If Hot Air commenters want to discuss the Madness of King Charles and the vindictiveness of his evil hench-person Sharmuta, do it here.

Exit question: Is Charles actually crazy enough to follow through on his April threat to smear The Boss?

Recently in the Green Room:

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

I’m an Aussie and a big fan of former Prime Minister John Howard.

David Blue on September 22, 2009 at 9:27 PM

How are those Telstra shares working out for you mate?

bileduct on September 23, 2009 at 6:57 AM

:P

Anyway, this is no time to be an 80% ally.

David Blue on September 23, 2009 at 7:25 AM

Does Charles have ulterior motives? Well there is a poll on the subject.

petertheslow on September 23, 2009 at 7:51 AM

Good link, petertheslow! Your post shows worthwhile hard work and asks questions that may be important.

It seems to me that Charles Johnson is making it seem that Glen Reynolds is changing for the worse by now linking to R.S. McCain. It’s a false implication created by ignoring the fact that he always did link to him, from time to time.

The chain of moral contagion that led from an anti-jihadist meeting in Europe that Charles condemned as fascist on nothing but the say-so of a commenter now leads through “Pamela Geller: Poster Girl for Eurofascists” to her friend ‘Robert Stacey McCain: White Supremacist’ and through him to … Hell, you may be becoming a fascist too, Glen Reynolds!

They’re all infected, changing, turning into fascists in front of his eyes!

In the grip of this madness, Charles Johnson thinks that ‘evidence’ like condemnations by the Southern Poverty Law Center is impressive – as though people like Glen Reynolds won’t see through that.

Which, I suppose, will be further evidence to Charles Johnson that Instapundit too is becoming fascist.

The psychology of the parody video at the top of this thread, The End of Little Green Footballs is exactly right.

David Blue on September 23, 2009 at 9:19 AM

Does anybody else remember this apparently defunct blog?

I think most of the contributors are banned from LGF.

zmdavid on September 23, 2009 at 9:46 AM

rs mccain: “the media now force interracial images into the public mind and a number of perfectly rational people react to these images with an altogether natural revulsion. THIS IS NOT RACISM.

sesquipedalian on September 23, 2009 at 9:49 AM

rs mccain: The day of Southern guilt is over–THE SOUTH WAS RIGHT–and let us not forget that salient fact. NO APOLOGIES FOR SLAVERY should be made. In both the Old and New Testaments slavery is sanctioned and regulated according to God’s word.

sesquipedalian on September 23, 2009 at 9:50 AM

I’m not a follower of CJ or most of the others being discussed, and I’m not familiar with the veracity of all the claims flying back and forth, but, after looking at LGF, his site appears to be nothing different than the Daily Kos. I don’t know why he is doing what he is doing, but, as a conservative/libertarian, I see nothing on his site that appeals to me. He seems to be pro abortion, pro government, a supporter of the junk science of global warming, and a man willing to paint the entire 9/12 protest as racist, because of the actions of some. The type who plays the guilt by association card at an event open to the public is dishonest.

Stickeehands on September 23, 2009 at 10:09 AM

Do you think Instapundit will quit linking to R.S. McCain, now that Charles Johnson is putting moral pressure on him?

I think Instapundit will keep linking to R.S. McCain from time to time, for three reasons.

1. Instapundit is self-confident. If you tell him, “who are you going to believe, me or your lying eyes?” he’ll trust his eyes, thanks. And that’s the choice Charles Johnson is forcing on everyone. Here are people – a lot of them now – who don’t seem like racists or fascists, but Charles demands that you treat them as such anyway, on his say-so.

2. R.S. McCain won’t change. I doubt he’ll get linked for any of his posts clobbering Charles Johnson, but from time to time he’s produced a post Glen liked, and as long as he doesn’t change his general blogging style, from time to time he’ll continue to post things Glen likes enough to link to.

3. Instapundit doesn’t like that Obama is throwing astronomical and unprecedented amounts of money down crony-statist rat-holes. It conflicts with his libertarian values. He’s sympathetic to the tea party protesters, who want this to stop. Charles Johnson is smearing those protesters. Glen isn’t going to go for that. It’s bad timing for Charles Johnson to imply that Instapundit has to condemn and shun people Charles Johnson doesn’t like.

David Blue on September 23, 2009 at 10:13 AM

Guilt by association? Anyone see what ‘Killgore Trout’ wrote here? Little Green Johnson didn’t have a problem with that, did he? Hey, sesquipedalian, are you going to quote Killgore for us?

Shay on September 23, 2009 at 10:17 AM

Stickeehands: yup.

Charles Johnson has the right to run his blog, on his own dime, the way he wants.

What I want is for people who would ignore hit pieces from the Daily Kos, because that’s not credible, to ignore the same sorts of hit pieces from Charles Johnson, because he’s no better.

And, I want that de-credentialing back-dated a couple of years, so people he’s been libeling get their reputations back.

I think it will be a good thing for the vindication of the innocent if Charles Johnson gets flogged publicly for about a week, till everyone internalizes that he’s not to be taken as a trustworthy authority on who’s racist, fascist and so on.

After that, the only way I’ll notice him is that R.S. McCain is likely “remember” him from time to time, the same way Ace does with Andrew Sullivan.

David Blue on September 23, 2009 at 10:32 AM

sesquipedalian on September 23, 2009 at 9:49 AM

On whose authority do you attribute that quote to me? Michelangelo Signorile? You do know, don’t you, that I have NEVER contributed to “Reclaiming the South,” the white supremacist site that Signorile accused me of contributing to?

Whoever you are, “sesquipedalian,” you are not a journalist and do not understand the importance of verifying the attribution of quotations. If someone asserts to you that someone else has said X, Y, Z, this must be a demonstrable fact, or you cannot report it. The fact that I have not denied X, Y, Z does not constitute proof that X, Y, Z are true. The person who reports something as a fact is responsible for what he asserts, and it is not my responsibility to confirm or deny any given allegation against me.

This is what the Fifth Amendment is all about, and whatever I may or may not have done, I am accused of nothing illegal in this regard. How, then, do people suppose that repeating these things is an indictment of my character, when many hundreds of my friends, family, co-workers and acquaintances will testify to my good conduct in terms of my amicable dealings with persons of various racial and ethnic groups?

There is no group of persons whom I “hate” or desire to oppress, and the person who asserts such a thing is a liar. Christ commands me not to hate, but rather to pray and do good even for my enemies. I do not hate Michelangelo Signorile or Heidi Beirich or Charles Johnson. How then can I be accused of hating millions of people who have never sought to do me harm? Hate is against my religion.

A journalist is not a mind-reader and cannot claim to know what someone else thinks or believes. Thus, to say that I am a “white supremacist” — without any substantial evidence for the accusation — is nothing but a smear, and not the sort of thing that requires a denial on my part.

If Signorile’s article include one clear falsehood — and there are witnesses to the actual facts in this matter — how much credibility can he have? (And note that I do not state that his article includes only one clear falsehood.) Words have meanings, sir.

Question: Would a white supremacist write this article?

It is an elementary mistake of logic to suppose that any particular fact you know (or think you know) is the only fact relevant to a controversy. In a universe of facts, the numerous facts you don’t know may be far more important than you think. This is the Hayekian insight, with which you ought to acquaint yourself.

Robert Stacy McCain

The Other McCain on September 23, 2009 at 2:09 PM

David Blue,

Good to see you and good to be on the same side, as always–the side of truth.

baldilocks on September 23, 2009 at 2:12 PM

David Blue,
Good to see you and good to be on the same side, as always–the side of truth.
baldilocks on September 23, 2009 at 2:12 PM

Good bless you both. BTW:
Who is Kejda Gjermani? Is she actually LGF’s ‘Medaura’? And if so . . .?
After 23 years in journalism, if I don’t understand the hazards of using unverified anonymous sources and repeating second-hand information, then I’ve got worse problems than being accused of raaaaacism. “If your mother says she loves you, check it out.”

How many years has Kejda been in journalism?

The Other McCain on September 23, 2009 at 3:12 PM

Good bless you both.

God bless you both. Where’s Pete Parisi on the copy desk to proof me, now that I really need him?

The Other McCain on September 23, 2009 at 3:13 PM

“Organized religion is dying at a head-spinning rate not only in this country but across the entire Western world.”
Kejda Gjermani, “Beyond Conservatism: Freedom in a Godless Future,” March 17, 2008

“Is Kejda Gjermani working as a concern troll to support Islamic jihad?”
Cynthia Yockey, A Conservative Lesbian, Sept. 23, 2009

The Other McCain on September 23, 2009 at 5:19 PM

The Other McCain on September 23, 2009 at 3:13 PM

I don’t know who she is but she swings a mean ban hammer and deletes comments like a wild woman.

Knucklehead on September 23, 2009 at 5:27 PM

R.S., it just occurred to me that i can ask you directly about Charles’ allegations.

The only one which remains standing from my interrogation of the matter is this: do you write for and link to white nationalist sites (American Renaissance, etc.) under the pseudonym, Burke C, Dabney?

eh on September 23, 2009 at 6:40 PM

The answer is officially yes. Right from the lizard’s mouth:

4 Charles
Wed, Sep 23, 2009 5:05:17pm replyquote 2downupreport

The newest meme going around the wingnut blogs is that I’ve “attacked” Michelle Malkin — based on a couple of comments I posted in the middle of long threads.

I really haven’t even started to get into that one yet. But the research is proceeding.

Kalapana on September 23, 2009 at 7:57 PM

Baldilocks,

Good to see you too, and good to be on the same side, as usual.

And God bless Robert Stacey McCain, bringer of sweet vindication for Robert Spencer, Pamela Geller, and the many other other innocent targets of this crazy, years-long smear campaign.

David Blue on September 23, 2009 at 11:24 PM

Question: Would a white supremacist write this article?

– Robert Stacy McCain

The Other McCain on September 23, 2009 at 2:09 PM

Would someone who is not a white supremacist write this article?

White women would have to give birth to 13.5 percent more babies every year in order for the white population just to maintain its current size. Meanwhile, Hispanic and black fertility rates are 62 and 20 percent higher than the white rate, and ensure growing populations while the white population declines. One might well wonder about indiscriminate anti-natalist propaganda when some groups in the country are already below replacement-level fertility. The “success” of such propaganda only accelerates the decline of the white population. If crusaders against teenage motherhood were serious, they would concentrate on the black and Hispanic girls who account for more than half of teenage births. Targeting whites as part of a general campaign is yet another form of racial suicide. We should encourage whites to have children within marriage; instead they are encouraged only to use contraceptives, whether married or single.

My best guess: no.

hicsuget on September 23, 2009 at 11:30 PM

Getting to the point where you need a program just to follow the LFG craziness.

coyoterex on September 23, 2009 at 11:47 PM

hicsuget on September 23, 2009 at 11:30 PM

If you are attributing the second quote to The Other McCain, it would be prudent for you to provide your proof that this Burke C Dabney is just a nom de plume for Mr McCain. Otherwise your accusation is without merit and libelous.

coyoterex on September 23, 2009 at 11:50 PM

Charles Johnson is an emotional six-year-old with extraordinary powers to control the blog where he rules by simply wishing away people and things that anger or confound him. Charles has the mind and imagination of a typical lunatic. The people at LGF have to look like lizards all the time, think lizard thoughts, and say lizard things, because that’s what Charles commands and, if they disobey, he can wish them into a cornfield from whence they are never to be seen or heard from again. What few adults remain try nervously to think like lizards and tell Charles that he’s such a good boy, hoping that Charles’s terrible power won’t be turned upon themselves.

MB4 on September 24, 2009 at 12:03 AM

“Targeting whites as part of a general campaign is yet another form of racial suicide” . . .
hicsuget on September 23, 2009 at 11:30 PM

I have never in my life used the phrase “racial suicide.”

On the issue of teenage pregnancy, my views on the subject are the same as Maggie Gallagher’s, as expressed in her 1999 report, The Age of Unwed Mothers:

“What we have called our `teen pregnancy’ crisis is not really about teenagers. Nor is it really about pregnancy. It is about the decline of marriage. . . .
“What has changed most in recent decades is not who gets pregnant, but who gets married…The single biggest change in recent decades has been the declining proportion of pregnant single teens who marry.”

You can read Gallagher’s entire report for yourself.

For decades now, the demographic approach of “white supremacists” (following the lead of Margaret Sanger) has been to promote efforts to suppress the birth rates of poor minorities — a campaign based on what more properly could be called fear than hate, but it doesn’t matter what you call it. Hate and fear are related emotions, both of which are contrary to my religion.

As many authors — among them Ben Wattenberg and Mark Steyn – have explained, the root of the West’s demographic crisis, crucially relevant to many public policy issues, is the collapse of the birth rate since the 1960s. The West has embraced what has been called a “Culture of Death.”

“A culture that no longer has a point of reference in God loses its soul and loses its way, becoming a culture of death”
John Paul II, Jan. 1, 2001

The consequences of this anti-life philosophy are predictable.

“I call heaven and earth to record this day against you, that I have set before you life and death, blessing and cursing: therefore choose life, that both thou and thy seed may live: That thou mayest love the LORD thy God, and that thou mayest obey his voice, and that thou mayest cleave unto him: for he is thy life, and the length of thy days”
Deuteronomy 30:19-20

The horrible reality that the abortion rate among black women far exceeds the rate for other groups — and that Fox News story tells you all you need to know about Planned Parenthood’s appeal to “white supremacists” — is an inevitable consequence of our nation’s embrace of the Culture of Death.

For the record: I’m against that, too. And I have six children, not four.

The Other McCain on September 24, 2009 at 4:59 AM

I think that RSM could have been more forthright and less Clintonesque in simply denying the “revulsion” charge. Eventually I see, or at least believe thatI see, that he did.

CJ is an excellent site designer and coder and a professional musician That does not make him an astute political theorist. His opinions on most matters of public debate are worth no more and no less than are mine or those of thousands of others who blog. The condemnation of people who mean well in a process of guilt by association is wrong because it is ultimately self destructive. It is wrong because it is obviously ineffective. While trolls and mobys are real threats, to extreme a control policy destroys the value of the intellectual market. Managing debate, on a blog or in a classroom or at the dinner table, is an art as much as a science. The evidence is that CJ got it wrong and a few people who bring little intellectual value to the conversation have been empowered and more thoughtful voices have departed.

That does not mean that I feel that CJ is wrong about each case or issue. Some I disagree with him on and some I do not feel as important as he does but he can choose the topics in his own house. He also is entitled to set the rules and ban people if he wishes. LGF is thank God not a government site and the 1st Amendment does not apply.

Having expressed these opinions on the related Powerline Blog thread my LGF account was blocked.

LifeofTheMind on September 24, 2009 at 6:16 AM

Victor Davis Hanson has spoken up in defense of Charles Johnson. He defends the current topic focus as being the host’s prerogative. On that I agree, although the standards of proof relied upon in LGF to assign to persons labels such as racist or fascist sympathizer are not addressed by Mr Hanson. He also does not address the issues of blog management and commentator blocking or nonscatalogical comment deletion.

I agree with Prof. Hanson about the following opinion about the birth certificate issue,

why he won’t release his college transcripts is a far more interesting and valid inquiry.

LifeofTheMind on September 24, 2009 at 6:36 AM

LifeofTheMind on September 24, 2009 at 6:16 AM

LOTM, this goes to the basic point that others have been making: Charles Johnson has lost the ability to tolerate disagreement. He has become obsessed with controlling commenters, coercing agreement, etc.

This was what got the whole thing going between CJ and Geller, Spencer, etc. Some of the LGF commenters were saying that this Brussels conference was “fascist.” Geller and Spencer, who had been there and talked to scores of the attendees, were stung by the accusation, which was contrary to their direct experience of the event.

Charles chose to believe his commenters rather than to give Spencer and Geller the benefit of the doubt. Because they wouldn’t knuckle under to his insistence that Geert Wilders and others are neo-fascist, he took a punitive attitude toward them.

Eventually, this vindictive crusade hurt LGF worse than it hurt Geller and Spencer. In response, it seems, CJ began lashing out at others and inaugurated the paranoid purge.

It’s obviously not just political. The truth or falsehood of any specific accusation CJ has made — who is associated with whom and who said what when? — is inconsequential, really, compared to his vendetta against his ex-friends, including Spencer and Pajamas Media.

The Other McCain on September 24, 2009 at 6:37 AM

coyoterex on September 23, 2009 at 11:50 PM

[transcript of radio interview follows]

ALAN COLMBS: …it claims that you are a member of a southern secessionist organization called the League of the South. Is that true?

R.S. MCCAIN: I am not.

AC: Do you post at Free Republic under the name Burke Calhoun Dabney?

RSM: Edmund Burke, Chauncy Calhoun and Lewis Dabney.

AC: You do, You post under that pseudonym.

RSM: I once posted under that pseudonym. That’s true.

eh on September 24, 2009 at 8:01 AM

Link?

coyoterex on September 24, 2009 at 8:23 AM

Bah…never mind. From same interview. Still waking up…lol.

coyoterex on September 24, 2009 at 8:25 AM

Victor Davis Hanson: ‘How many people in America want to be called a racist?’

It’s important to note, that this whole urge-to-purge thing seems to have gotten rolling when Kejda Gjermani (“Medaura”) got involved at LGF.

Fascist! Fascist! Fascist! And then, everyone was supposed to deny, denounce and repudiate the person so accused. Those who didn’t — including Robert Spencer and Pamela Geller — thus became known as “fascist sympathizers,” adn everyone who didn’t denounce the “sympathizers” was accused of given aid and comfort to “sympathizers.” Madness. Sheer madness.

The Other McCain on September 24, 2009 at 2:45 PM

Since you’re back, is the Burke C. Dabney who wrote for American Renaissance you?

eh on September 24, 2009 at 2:59 PM

eh on September 24, 2009 at 2:59 PM

Check your inbox.

The Other McCain on September 24, 2009 at 4:10 PM

Thanks for the reply.

eh on September 24, 2009 at 4:34 PM

LifeofTheMind on September 24, 2009 at 6:16 AM

Pretty creepy that not only does he constantly troll his own threads,but goes from site to site,looking for “traitors”like you,or to see what people are saying about him.THAT is f***ed up.I ll never click on lgf again,id be afraid of getting some type of internet cooties.

theTarCzar on September 24, 2009 at 6:21 PM

LifeofTheMind on September 24, 2009 at 6:16 AM

Pretty creepy that not only does he constantly troll his own threads,but goes from site to site,looking for “traitors”like you . . .
theTarCzar on September 24, 2009 at 6:21 PM

Whenever this control-freak aspect of CJ’s behavior began, it should have been recognized as evidence that LGF had ceased to be a blog and had become a personality cult.

Since Charles started attacking me Sept. 12 for reporting on the 9/12 D.C. rally, I’ve discovered that something like what LOTM describes happened to scores of former Lizards. LGF is no longer about news or politics. It is now about Charles. Every day, there are new bannings and “flounces” as the 2.0 Blogmocracy people call their own purposeful exits.

Why did this happen? When did the switch flip? All I know is that Charles attacked Geller when she posted a long, newsy account of the Brussels conference in Oct. 2008 and attacked me when I called in reports from the 9/12 March. So when someone he doesn’t like begins to enjoy success — ATTACK!

Little Footballs aren’t all that’s Green. The man seems to have serious envy issues toward conservatives who do actual reporting.

At any rate, LGF commenter “Savage” just executed The Mother Of All Flounces, if anyone is interested.

The Other McCain on September 24, 2009 at 8:20 PM

Just sayin ‘ it was a long time (now former)LGF poster Earth2Moonbat who wrote that.And it was damn good.And true.Savage,one of the admins. posted it for him.

theTarCzar on September 24, 2009 at 8:54 PM

The Other McCain?

Earth2moonbat wrote the tome and savage posted it for him.

waldensianspirit on September 24, 2009 at 8:54 PM

Many are speculating It started when a new (at the time)poster appeared = medaura.Apparently she comes from an albanian muslim family,and started whispering things in cj’s ear that made him turn against all his fellow anti-jihad bloggers(are there any he hasnt attacked?)Very strange.Some are starting to look into what shes all about…so her tables may be turned soon.Shes also an assistant editor at a liberal magazine.So a liberal/islamist sympathizer(at the very least)somehow gained CJ’s confidence(in short order) over long time allies,and now hes even attacking christians,conservatives,republicans,etc….CAIR must be loving this.Very curious.

theTarCzar on September 24, 2009 at 9:02 PM

The Other McCain?
Earth2moonbat wrote the tome and savage posted it for him.
waldensianspirit on September 24, 2009 at 8:54 PM

Thanks for the correction. Apologies for the eror.

theTarCzar on September 24, 2009 at 9:02 PM

Actually, based on her “Godless Future” treatise, I read Kejda as being an Ayn Rand-influenced Objectivist — dogmatically anti-religious while also enthusiastically pro-capitalist. Being that she is a native Albanian, it does not surprise me that she was pro-Kosovar and anti-Serb during Wesley Clark’s “splendid little war.”
I have actually met Srdja Trifkovic, who appears in one of the Six Degrees of Robert Spencer rants that Kejda wrote last year. And there are other people I know caught up in the Kejda/Medaura conspiracy-theory attack.
Notice the promiscuous way Kjeda slings around terms like “fascist” and “ultra-nationalist,” while apparently operating by the theory that anything negative she finds on the Internet related to one of her targets (or associates of her targets) is presumed valid. This marks her as a young, overconfident fanatic, the primary object of her writing being to vindicate her own omniscience, rather than to discover any relevant and useful political truth.
It seems that her targets failed to comprehend Kejda’s method or understand its significance, and allowed themselves to be drawn into her game: Everyone must choose sides, and anyone who does not take my side is my enemy. Thus at one point last year, apparently, Robert Spencer was provoked into slamming Glenn Reynolds for supposedly taking the wrong side in this fray. But that’s not how Reynolds operates, and it was a mistake for Spencer to attack Reynolds. I don’t blame Spencer, really, and indeed empathize. When someone who has spent years building a career and a reputation finds himself viciously maligned, he expects that everyone he knows will leap up to defend his good name. And if it appears that one of his friends is actually siding with his attacker . . . like I said, I empathize.
However, this is the nature of the influence of someone like Kejda. She denounces X as a “fascist,” then discovers X is in some way associated with Y and Z. So next she accuses Y and Z of being “fascist sympathizers” unless they will denounce and repudiate X.
Most people in American political life have never been attacked in this manner. The targeted individuals were flummoxed to see Kejda’s “fascist” witch-hunt published at supposedly friendly Johnson’s LGF, and their confusion about what was happening caused them to react in ways that did not aid their defense.
Ironies abound if you start picking at the threads in Kejda’s web. For example, she correctly identifies Trifkovic as an editor with the paleo-conservative Chronicles magazine (to which I’ve contributed three or four items in the past decade, including a book review of Ann Coulter’s Godless). Yet the paleos are rivals (if not indeed enemies) of several of the neoconservative types with whom Spencer is much more closely allied. For Spencer to be associated with both Trifkovic and David Horowitz, you see, brings into question the precise meaning of the “fascist sympathizer” label that Kejda tries to apply to Spencer.
So, TarCzar, to return to your assertion that Kejda is a “liberal/Islamist sympathizer” — no, I disagree. It looks that way, but that’s not the way it actually is. This is applying Kejda’s own method against her, but it does not lead to truth. Let me try a better explanation:
Kejda was an impressionable Albanian teenager at the time of the Kosovo war. She was exposed to Albanian state-run media coverage of that war, which depicted the Kosovo Albanians as saintly victims of murderous Serbian “fascists.” (Her frequent use of “fascist” is indicative of the Enver Hoxhe-era political vocabulary that Kejda learned as a child.)
Therefore, anyone who disagrees with Kejda’s biased Albanian nationalist conceptions about the Kosovo conflict is identified as an enemy. So when Spencer was noted as an associate of people who were unabashedly pro-Serb . . . well, you see where that train of faulty logic ultimately led.
Kejda’s main problem is that she is young, very intelligent and — like a lot of very intelligent young people — too willing to believe that intelligence and knowledge are the same thing. Ambitious for a reputation as an intellectual, she has let her ambition outrun her knowledge.
If Kejda will learn humility and patience, and will accept sound counsel as to the nature of her errors, she may eventually gain the sort of reputation she so desperately desires. Charles Johnson’s willingness to accept Kejda as an unquestionable authority on European politics, however, is a powerful indictment of his judgment, as he cannot plead the reckless passion of youth in his defense.

The Other McCain on September 25, 2009 at 12:01 AM

Actually,though it suprised me,i had no real problem with cj’s sudden disdain for Spencer,Atlas,and others.I totally disagree with him,as Spencer,and others actually DO something for what they believe in(while he just sits at his keyboard).But its his blog and can say what he wants.What turned me from a fan,into a hater,is that he uses these small,vague connections to totally smear and attack otherwise good people…but when it comes to our President?Hey he doesnt wanna hear it.Theres tons of overwhelming evidence that our President has strong connections to racists,anti-semites,anti americans,anti capitalists,possibly even jihadists,etc etc..but he refuses to see any of this,and those who bring that up get the ban stick,and smeared as racists or what not.Im more concerned with what this radical administration will do,and its effect on my life,than whether some small right wing european parties have had some pro-nazi members at one time or another.I also dont get his sudden disinterest in jihad…look at all the recent arrests.He posts virtually nothing about that,but my god,what Glenn Beck did to that poor plasticfrog was some sick,mad craziness?i mean..wtf?And using his own smear methods…..since hes pro-medaura,who is pro kosovar muslim,who have destroyed/or taken over 1000 christian chuches…i guess hes a total christian hater,and pro-destroying christian churches.For the record im a non-practicing catholic.

theTarCzar on September 25, 2009 at 10:27 AM

Kejda Gjermani/Medaura works as an assistant online editor for Commentary magazine. Her name appears on their online masthead. While Commentary is no longer owned by the American Jewish Committee it is an important and influential voice. That is the place where Norman Podhoretz helped create a revolution. The current editor is John Podhoretz, who I met 30 almost 30 years ago at The University of Chicago. The insinuation of Medaura into a position at that venue is a tragedy. The hateful statements that she has uttered are such that I do not believe that she should be granted United States citizenship. Given her obvious capacity for work and her intelligence and viciousness when thwarted she is capable of getting entry into a media organization and using it for her own purposes. She could turn Commentary as she turned LGF. If anyone connected with PJM can get word to Podhoretz they would be doing him and his many admirers a favor.

LifeofTheMind on September 25, 2009 at 12:00 PM

Attacking people who don’t seem supportive enough is a terrible idea, and I hope nobody will disparage Victor Davis Hansen. He’s more than capable of revisiting his conclusions in some later season, if he wants to, but not under pressure of insults. Academics who say what will avoid heat rather than what they think is true are high on his list of people to despise.

From his post, it seems that he was told Little Green Footballs had “really changed” (but not that there was a problem of Charles Johnson serially libeling people), so he went to the Potemkin village where all dissenters were banned, saw that all was at peace, and supplied a rather professorial bit of contextualization for the feeble implied question and the limited and distorted set of facts he’d been exposed to. He didn’t get it. And it’s not blameworthy that he didn’t get it.

Charles Johnson and Kejda Gjermani are constantly seizing the initiative and getting weak, misdirected first reactions from people, basically because “nothing is more surprising than the attack without mercy”.

Charles Johnson’s targets (and Kejda Gjermani’s targets) always suffered confusion, distress and surprise. They were always unsuspecting victims who never thought of attacking anybody else like this, and had no “natural” response to it.

(This of course does nothing whatever to convince me that Charles Johnson and Kejda Gjermani are right and their targets are all evil fascists networking together.)

The same confusion applies to bystanders that get caught up in this insanity. You can see it in Vodkapundit’s comments to “A Response to Charles Johnson” (link), where, when challenged aggressively by mph, seemingly with a lot of facts, Vodkapundit doesn’t think to challenge those supposed facts, but flounders around, trying to be fair to all sides. He could have said everything he really had to say with a simple WTF??

Stacey’s got this worked out better than anyone else now, but even he got off on the wrong foot. At first, he seemed to think this was about him, whereas it’s really about why he, and Robert Spencer and Pamela Geller and Diana West and many other people have been serially libeled in the same way over a nearly two year period.

David Blue on September 25, 2009 at 1:16 PM