Obama Looking Forward to Nationalizing Newspapers
posted at 6:25 pm on September 20, 2009 by Dafydd ab Hugh
The nation’s top “mainstream” (that is, reliably liberal) newspapers would all become nonprofits — kind of like PBS:
The president said he is “happy to look at” bills before Congress that would give struggling news organizations tax breaks if they were to restructure as nonprofit businesses.
“I haven’t seen detailed proposals yet, but I’ll be happy to look at them,” Obama told the editors of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette and Toledo Blade in an interview.
Sen. Ben Cardin (D-Md.) has introduced S. 673, the so-called “Newspaper Revitalization Act,” that would give outlets tax deals if they were to restructure as 501(c)(3) corporations. That bill has so far attracted one cosponsor, Cardin’s Maryland colleague Sen. Barbara Mikulski (D).
(Actually, they’re already nonprofits… but more like Lehman Brothers than PBS. At least they can formalize their status; insolvency — it’s not a bug, it’s a feature!)
How did the nation’s elite liberal newspapers get into this mess? History is clear:
- When they shifted from trying to report the news to trying to elect Democrats, they began shedding circulation.
- When they lost circulation, they lost advertising — including the critical classified adverts, which were the major source of most newspapers’ revenue.
- As their income tanked, they had to let reporters and editors go. Given their business model, of course they let go all the conservatives and moderates, anyone who might insist upon hard facts instead of “reporting” Democratic spin.
- Thus, they became even more unilateral and strident, hence lost even more circulation. In various fields of science and maths, this is called a “feedback loop.”
But now Sens. Ben Cardin (D-MD, 100%) and Barbara Mikulski (D-MD, 95%) have proposed a solution to this catastrophic turn of events: These newspapers will henceforth become nonprofit organizations… and will be bailed out via “tax deals.” This sounds oddly like a government subsidy.
Freed from the demand that they actually turn a profit, or even retain readership, they can now utterly wallow, like swamp hogs, in the foetid morass of New Left and liberal advocacy. They will no longer be in danger of sinking into the quicksand; the government will keep bailing them out, so long as they continue suckling at Barack H. Obama’s breast.
What a cozy, madonna-and-holy-infant relationship.
At last, the only major national newspapers we shall have in future will be directly controlled by the federal government, and wholly dependent upon the president for their subsistence and continued existence — like in Oogo Chavez’s Venezuela. No more of this unpatriotic carping and racist demagoguing of the mitzvahs sloughed off by the Obamacle; the president and the Democrats in Congress will speak ex cathedra, and the church organs will pipe and print the holy writ. We’ll finally have all of our drunks in a row.
What could go wrong?
Cross-posted to Big Lizards…
Recently in the Green Room:
- Two House Dems demand Lerner resignation after using lobbyist to stage modified limited hangout
- Feelgood video of the day
- New liberal idea: Let’s raise $660 million online in a month to buy the LA Times before the Koch brothers can
- Of Course It Troubles Me. Are You Kidding Me?
- Friendly reminder from the White House about ObamaCare: “It’s. The. Law.”