Green Room

Attack is the Best Form of Defense

posted at 5:30 pm on September 20, 2009 by

If there is any proof to the received wisdom that it’s somehow possible to be too successful/too handsome to become POTUS, then Mitt Romney is probably it.

But Mitt’s going to battle against his misfortune and (almost certainly) try again in 2012.

By which time he could be primed to take advantage of the groundswell of public sentiment against Obama and his statist cohorts.

Particularly if he doesn’t let up on the Carter Mark II theme, which he got going at this year’s Values Voter Summit, taunting Democrats that:

I’ll bet you never dreamed you’d look back at Jimmy Carter as the good old days.”

Nice, Mitt, nice.

Time and again, Democrats have proven expert at attacking Republicans through a combination of relentlessly base, if not outright offensive, comparisons and shamelessly placing the blame for all the universe’s problems upon the shoulders of the incumbent (Republican) president.

Well, people in glass houses shouldn’t throw stones, and particularly not when the planet’s most ignorant educated man is still willing and able to remind everyone of the catastrophic anti-logic at the core of the Democratic Party.

It’s long past time that we learned from the Left’s tenacity and returned the favor.

So let’s not let a day go by from now until 2012 without one Republican (at least) associating Obama with the Carter golden age, and see how the Democrats like the taste of their own medicine.

Cross-posted at Track-A-‘Crat.

Recently in the Green Room:

Comments

I agree with Romney’s sentiments, but I’m not sure he’s the best spokesman for them.

ddrintn on September 20, 2009 at 6:23 PM

The Left’s tactics turned a highly popular president into a pariah and almost lost us a war.

I don’t see any reason following a slightly modified strategy for us when destroy Obama’s leftist presidency and potentially take out some of the welfare state as collateral damage.

18-1 on September 20, 2009 at 7:34 PM

I’d feel 1000% more comfortable seeing Mitt in the White House now with his business/management background.

PatMac on September 20, 2009 at 7:37 PM

I definitely agree that Republicans need to be on the offense rather than just on the defense (which they have flubbed mightily). However, I do question whether Romney is the messenger with his history of flip-flopping and Romneycare. We don’t need our own version of Obama—smooth-talking and attractive.

texabama on September 20, 2009 at 8:26 PM

PatMac – eh, but how much is experience worth, really? (Note: sarc.)

ddrintn, texabama – I share your concerns (to a degree) but my admiration in this case stems more from the fact that Romney has (hopefully) started the ball rolling, and that more conservatives will now deride Obama in a similar fashion, whenever the chance arises.

18-1 – like the collateral damage angle, we can but hope.

Track-A-'Crat on September 20, 2009 at 8:31 PM

YES! We’re finally learning.

It doesn’t matter if Mtt Romney is the best spokespeson or not. Just hit and keep hitting.

rrpjr on September 20, 2009 at 8:43 PM

The best spokesman is going to be the one who hits this theme the hardest and the most often in the coming years.

If it’s Romney, fine. If it’s someone else, fine. Whoever it is, that’s who I’m going to vote for.

WWS on September 21, 2009 at 10:16 AM

Top Pick

Will they stay or will they go?

Top Pick

I can’t imagine what I was thinking when I said that

Rocking the boat majorly

Big government never contracts. It only grows more powerful

It’s only a “ban” until it becomes inconvenient

The decline and fall of Obamacare and the AHCA

Jazz Shaw Jun 24, 2017 8:31 AM

This was all over before it began

Fixing crime in America is a complicated issue

Taylor Millard Jun 23, 2017 8:31 PM

Cops alone won’t solve it.

Democrats forgot all about the “era of good feelings”

“Bernie and Jane Sanders have lawyered up.”

Winning isn’t everything. It is the only thing

Trump signs VA reform bill into law

John Sexton Jun 23, 2017 2:41 PM

A new era of something.

“…died suddenly in less than a week just after his return to the U.S.”

The shortsightedness of “Denounce and Preserve”

Taylor Millard Jun 23, 2017 12:11 PM

Pragmatism for the sake of pragmatism doesn’t always work.

Perhaps if you threw in a new car?

Gay marriages still growing, but not as fast

Andrew Malcolm Jun 23, 2017 10:31 AM

More, but not as quickly.

Should’ve stuck with the pirate gig. It was working for him

The battle for the rubble of Raqqa is underway

Andrew Malcolm Jun 23, 2017 8:51 AM

Won’t be much left.

Your list of demands is a publicity stunt

“The jobs are still leaving. Nothing has stopped.”

Bad vendor. Bad! No cookie!

“So you want me to sing my praises, is that what you’re saying?”

Why would we possibly want that?

“I mean he sold our country to The Russians.”

I could think of someone else you might want to ask about…

Trump: I never made any recordings of Comey

Allahpundit Jun 22, 2017 2:01 PM

Bluff.

Hackers stole private data from election databases

John Sexton Jun 22, 2017 1:21 PM

Failure to protect the city

Big man on the Middle Eastern campus