Green Room

The Cough Czar

posted at 8:49 am on September 18, 2009 by

I was going to let this go, but then Health and Human Services head honcho Kathleen Sebelius turned what I (naively) considered to be an instance of unrepeatable inanity into a serial offense.

Sebelius (who, aside from advancing the cause of socialism in the US, enjoys evading taxes and siphoning taxpayer money off to cronies) here achieves the remarkable feat of telling us all that we need to know about the Democratic view of governance through a single physical movement.

That is, by demonstrating to the great unwashed how to cough “properly.”

Why is this so revealing, I hear you ask?

Because it is proof, once again, that Democrats think that we, the people, are entirely incompetent (ha!) and cannot figure out for ourselves how to do a single thing, even of the immense complexity of coughing.  And there I was, thinking that it was an involuntary motion, much akin to breathing.

But, of course, the Democrats have figured out a new and improved way of doing it.  So much for what we think we know.

Whether the intended audience was children or adults (or, in this case, journalists), it makes no difference.  This is condescending, patronizing and paternalistic government of the worst kind, seeking to control everything that we do.

Must we now be taught how to cough?

Will there be a new category of non-jobs created solely for the inspection and approval of personal coughing techniques?

For those of us with a sense of history, this will be familiar, as ever.  The Obama administration is hardly the first to covet control of matters as large as the (inter)national economy, as small as the way we cough, and everything in-between.

Up next: the administration thoughtfully demonstrates how best to assume the “submissive” pose.

Cross-posted at Track-A-’Crat.

Recently in the Green Room:

Comments

..oh, cool, a caption contest!

“Phew! They gotta make those town halls shorter or I gotta get a stronger set of dress-shields!”.

VoyskaPVO on September 18, 2009 at 9:25 AM

“Damn! They’re right! Liberals do stink

ZeeMI on September 18, 2009 at 10:25 AM

“Everybody with me now….You put your LEFT arm in….

ZeeMI on September 18, 2009 at 10:27 AM

Looks more like she’s wiping her nose on her sleeve. Tell that woman to get a tissue.
If we all have to cough like that during the upcoming flu season, at least dry cleaners will be in business.

ZeeMI on September 18, 2009 at 10:32 AM

“Licking your sleeve is a wonderful way to clean your tongue.”

Track-A-'Crat on September 18, 2009 at 10:33 AM

I don’t care how much this job pays, there is no way I’d go out in public to do this. Does she realize just how stupid she appears to be?

Kissmygrits on September 18, 2009 at 10:51 AM

Nyah-hah-hah! Dishonest con!

TeeDee on September 18, 2009 at 11:14 AM

When I sneeze, it’s into my hand. I then wipe it on my leg, or the person next to me.

And that’s that.

MadisonConservative on September 18, 2009 at 11:26 AM

Kissmygrits – I’m with you. I think that I’d probably spontaneously self-combust if I had to do something as embarrassing as this.

Love it, Madison. Remind me to keep my distance when you sneeze, though.

Track-A-'Crat on September 18, 2009 at 11:36 AM

I loved the sheepish look on Todd’s face when they told him they were going to get Elmo to give him a lesson on sneezing.

But this episode has caused me to think about the citizen/government relationship in a much different light. I mean, if the elite media can’t be trusted to sneeze properly, how can the uneducated masses? I now realize just how much we need a bigger, more powerful central government.

BadgerHawk on September 18, 2009 at 12:30 PM

She looked very condescending

maggieo on September 18, 2009 at 4:31 PM

As long as they don’t come up with a “Prostate Czar”.

PatMac on September 19, 2009 at 10:21 AM

I’m going to have to dissent from this criticism. This is the proper way to cough in public, and there’s nothing wrong with getting this info out (and believe me, if you spend anytime in a classroom, you want kids to use this method).

If they start fining coughers, imposing cough taxes, or throwing coughers in jail for using improper coughing techniques, then I’ll be on board.

Buy Danish on September 20, 2009 at 9:01 AM

Buy Danish – you are correct, this is indeed the right way to cough.

But c’mon.

Do we really need a member of the administration to go around showing us how it’s done?

Perhaps they can show me how to wipe my butt while they’re at it, too.

Track-A-'Crat on September 20, 2009 at 9:49 AM

Track-A-’Crat on September 20, 2009 at 9:49 AM

I saw her do it in response to a reporter (Chuck Todd?)sneezing. It’s not as if she held a news conference on proper techniques. I don’t see any harm in educating the public on reasonable techniques…

Buy Danish on September 20, 2009 at 11:59 AM