Green Room

Barack H. Obama: Mr. Meter Mover?

posted at 6:13 pm on September 16, 2009 by

On Thursday last, September 10th, the day after President Barack H. Obama’s grand ObamaCare speech to a session of joint congressmen — or whatever that was — I made a bold prediction:

John Hinderaker at Power Line helpfully reports that before President Barack H. Obama’s grand address on ObamaCare, the Rasmussen tally stood at 44% of likely voters supporting, 53% opposing….

He makes no predictions, but I’m not gunshy; I say No, Obama’s speech last night did not move the meter; we won’t see any jump outside the statistical margin of error….

The people have awakened to the fact that there’s no “there” there in ObamaCare, and there never was; the drums of August proved that. There are no new arguments or facts under the sun that will help push it; the more people learn about it, the more they hate it; and the president himself has flat run out of charisma-gas.

It’s still possible the Democrats will manage a jam-down (though I increasingly think they never will); but if they do, it will not be due to popular demand.

Barack Obama’s final, desperate, make-or-break play to stir a populist uprising in favor of ObamaCare has failed. The numbers will not move significantly towards ObamaCare because of this or any future speech.

Well, the numbers are in. It is now exactly a week since the Obamacle spake from on high to the assembled cardinals and bishops — also broadcast as an extraordinary dispensation to the huddled masses, yearning to breath the government option. During that se’en-night, what happened anent popular support for the plot scheme conspiracy proposal?

Well, on those rare occasions where it’s necessary, I’m always big enough to admit I was wrong. I predicted that Obama would not significantly “move the meter” on Rasmussen, but in fact he did; he moved it quite a bit, actually, much more than I thought he could.

Backwards.

As of the Rasmussen release of the 10th, you’ll recall — with all polling conducted before the speech aired — ObamaCare was supported by 44% of likely voters, with 53% opposing; thus it was losing by 9 points.

Yesterday’s release, Tuesday September 15th, shows 42% supporting with 55% opposed, with ObamaCare losing in the poll by 13 points. That’s a jump of 4 points, or 44% over the previous gap.

During the interim, support crept up to as high as 51% four days after the speech, with forty six percent opposed; at that momentary peak, ObamaCare was winning by 4 points. But support utterly collapsed in the very next day’s release, to 45% support, 52% opposition, with ObamaCare losing by 7 points. That spread worsened in yesterday’s release to its current position.

As of now, I’d say my prediction was quite accurate: I of course meant that the speech wouldn’t move the meter towards support of ObamaCare (I assume everyone understood that). That it seems to have significantly increased opposition instead (or failed to prevent the increase) is just a bonus.

But it’s not just those “right-wing racists” at Rasmussen, who are doubtless straddling the pockets of Rupert Murdoch, Rush Limbaugh, Rep. Joe Wilson (R-SC, 92%), and the entire Fox News Channel (which must be a very uncomfortable straddle spread). Checking the Gallup poll released today, we see no significant movement at all in the unforced opinion, compared to the same poll conducted Aug 31st – September 2nd; and what insignificant movement it shows is, in fact, against ObamaCare.

Bottom line: The Obamic encyclical did absolutely nothing to move the meter towards ObamaCare. POTUS (and TOTUS) utterly failed.

Under the circumstances, I hereby repudiate all my previous begging and pleading for Barack Obama to just shut up about health-care reform (and to shut up shuttin’ up, too). Instead, I now encourage him to continue on his “speech a day keeps ObamaCare away” tour. Please be my guest, Mr. President; and… bon appétit!

Cross-posted to Big Lizards

Recently in the Green Room:

Blowback

Note from Hot Air management: This section is for comments from Hot Air's community of registered readers. Please don't assume that Hot Air management agrees with or otherwise endorses any particular comment just because we let it stand. A reminder: Anyone who fails to comply with our terms of use may lose their posting privilege.

Trackbacks/Pings

Trackback URL

Comments

Daffyd,

Have you seen the most recent (9/16) CBS/Newsweek poll. They randomly selected 633 likely crack mothers and asked this question: President Obama wants to stop Big Pharma and the Evil Insurance industry from stealing organs. The right wind wants your liver. If you like free sh$t, Health reform is for you. You like free sh$t?

According to CBS/Newsweek 93% of Americans support Obamacare. The other 7% asked what’s the catch? I got to suck [redacted], right?

I’ve never heard of rasmussen, I watch CBS. Go health care reform.

Shtetl G on September 17, 2009 at 8:53 AM