Green Room

MSNBC Reminds Us Of The Suffering Survivors of 9/11

posted at 9:37 am on September 11, 2009 by

It’s a sad day.  A solemn day.  A day to meditate on the magnitude of what we lost eight years ago.  Although I never met Rudy Mastrocinque (like Ed Morrissey’s 9/11 tribute, a Marsh & McLennan employee in the impact zone of Flight 11), I grieved as I wrote his story in 2006.  Aside from sorrow for a wife losing a beloved partner, a girl whose Daddy will never walk her down the aisle, a boy who will have to learn to be a man without his father’s example, I wept because

so many of my countrymen do not seem to understand that the loss of nearly 3,000 of our countrymen is not the cost of doing business, not excused by any “root causes,” not a cause for manipulation and blameshifting on the part of ANY political party, and in short not acceptable for any reason whatsoever. Some people have openly stated that they’d like to see another successful terror attack because it would further their political goals. Others have said it doesn’t matter, because more people have been killed in other places and circumstances, and that it’s wrong to focus on these “few.” Just on this one day, I hope that those people will remember that the people who will be killed in the next big terror attack – and there’s bound to be a successful one eventually – are real people, like Rudy Mastrocinque. Not pawns on a political chessboard who may be sacrificed for expediency’s sake. Not just nameless, faceless victims who happened to die, as we all will die someday.

It’s personal. Every loss is personal, every attack and every threat is personal. The point of the 2996 project was to remind of us that. Not out of fear, because “next time it could be you” but out of respect and remembrance of the magnitude of our loss as a nation. In order to read each tribute over the next year, you would have to read 8.2 tributes a day, or 249 a month or 57.6 a week. To read them in a week, you’d have to read 428 a day. To complete them all on 9/11, you’d have to read 124.83 tributes an hour, for all 24 hours. That’s how many people we lost. They deserve to be remembered, and it speaks well of us and of them if we suffer some pain in the remembering.

Project 2,996 has more stories, but luckily MSNBC has stepped up to the plate to help us remember the victims of 9/11.

Muslims.

Muslims, who live in ever-growing fear of the inevitable backlash.  These brave people struggle to make the tough decisions – not “Do I burn alive in this fire, or do I leap to my death out of a 95 story window?” but “Should I wear my hijab in public today, or stay home?”

Also, if you’re in New York and you’d like to mark the day with a special event, MSNBC recommends a play opening tonight: The Domestic Crusaders, a play about Muslim life in New York.

I’m surprised that MSNBC didn’t join Mr. Barbara Streisand (Truther James Brolin) in wishing us a “Happy 9/11 Day.”

Cross posted here.

Recently in the Green Room:

Comments

I never thought that the D in PMSDNC would stand for Dhimmitude.

steveegg on September 11, 2009 at 9:44 AM

Beyond. Words.

juanito on September 11, 2009 at 10:26 AM

There are many things I am tempted to say in response, but out of decency I will say only that the curriculum in Journalism schools must do some very strange things to their students.

jwolf on September 11, 2009 at 10:31 AM

That is just disgusting. What a bunch of loser morons at msnbo.

becki51758 on September 11, 2009 at 11:03 AM

My first thought, upon reading the MSNBC article, was God, why couldn’t it have been Rockefeller Center!? I still feel bad for thinking it. Sorta. But my disgust for the media is fast approaching the Bush Derangement Syndrome levels so much of the left suffered (or more likely, enjoyed) for the last 9 years.

Laura on September 11, 2009 at 11:38 AM

Boycott General Electric forever.

bigjack on September 11, 2009 at 1:15 PM

I can explain it.

They’re a$$holes.

Brian1972 on September 11, 2009 at 3:25 PM

LOL. MSNBC is pretty much evil. A huge boycott of GE would rule.

In The Flesh on September 14, 2009 at 3:22 PM

Top Pick

Dude.

CNN gets glum, defensive after resignations

John Sexton Jun 28, 2017 1:01 PM
Top Pick

“If Jeff lit himself on fire, it wouldn’t appease the pro-Trump media.”

Hmmm: FBI probing Russia-based anti-virus firm?

Ed Morrissey Jun 28, 2017 12:31 PM

“I wouldn’t put their stuff on my computer if you paid me.”

He works hard for the money…

It’s not a slippery slope. It’s a freaking avalanche.

Nuts.

Showdown: Sarah Palin vs the New York Times

Jazz Shaw Jun 28, 2017 9:21 AM

Defamation

Credit where creditor’s due?

More flash than bang, but a very bad sign

“Felix was out on bond after threatening another public servant and has a history of making threats.”

Chaffetz: House needs housing allowances?

Ed Morrissey Jun 27, 2017 8:41 PM

“There are dozens upon dozens of members living in their offices, and I don’t know how healthy that is long term.”

“This isn’t going to get a lot cheaper, it can’t, it won’t.”

“…what we failed to achieve with votes, we would do with weapons.”

“[S]o dumb it’s amazing we even have to have the conversation.”

“It was not necessary.”

“You’re inflaming everyone right here right now with those words!”

“Trump’s people said, ‘We’ll be writing the speech that the President’s Audio-Animatronic figure will be saying.'”

Excuses, excuses.

Not really a “kill all the lawyers” scenario

4 pm ET!

“it has not taken serious steps to end its own complicity in trafficking, including forced laborers from North Korea.”

Currently doing a search for “good international trade lawyers”

Ransomware attack spreads through Europe

John Sexton Jun 27, 2017 1:01 PM

“A massive ransomware campaign is currently unfolding worldwide.”

At least their address rarely changes

It just keeps on happening

“Trump is good for business right now.”

Start spreading the news…

“Now it’s time for the next step.”

A “cryptic” warning to Bashar al-Assad?

Jazz Shaw Jun 27, 2017 8:01 AM

The three strikes rule may be in effect

CNN reporters resign over retracted story

John Sexton Jun 26, 2017 9:21 PM

“The individuals all stated that they accepted responsibility and wanted to resign.”

Federalism’s greatest champion is now …

Ed Morrissey Jun 26, 2017 8:41 PM

“In the end, we’re a democracy.”

“Almost all controversial speech harms people, upsets or offends them…”

Obama: Back home again in Indonesia

Andrew Malcolm Jun 26, 2017 7:21 PM

The call to prayer and eating dog.