Green Room

Pres. Obama’s historic speech to somebody

posted at 11:19 am on September 9, 2009 by

Tonight, Pres. Obama is giving a speech on healthcare reform to a joint session of Congress. Undoubtedly, it will be “historic,” at least to the nighttime staff at MSNBC. It probably is the first time that a president has delivered a major speech to children two days in a row.

But to whom is Pres. Obama really speaking? Congress? Even a partisan Soros hack like Matthew Yglesias acknowledges that the speech is not going to change any minds there. After the speech, Congress is going to have the same problems it had before the speech, primarily that the Democrats’ plans all inevitably involve a lot of unpopular taxes and unpopular spending and scare the vast majority of people who are already insured.

Is Obama speaking to the American people? He’s been doing that for over a month. While lefty publications make the understandably modest claim that Obama and ObamaCare “survived” August, public opinion polls show that Obama was less popular and ObamaCare was more unpopular at the end of August than at the end of July. If the ABC News double-infomercial, the primetime press conference, the daytime press conference, the town halls in New Hampshire, Colorado, Montana, Virginia, etc., and the massive astroturf campaign put on by HCAN all failed, why should this speech succeed?

Is Obama speaking to political news junkies as opinion leaders? Not really. To the contrary, early reports suggest the speech will not contain any big news.

Obama will endorse a government-run insurance plan (as usual), but will not demand one (as usual). Off the record, the White House admits the “public option” is off the table, as House Maj. Ldr. Steny Hoyer and Maj. Whip Jim Clyburn start tiptoeing for the exit. The leaders of the progressive caucus’s reputation continue to demand a “robust” government plan, but the rank and file aren’t necessarily following. In the Senate, even Olympia Snowe seems to be drifting away from the project. Obama may offer a few more details in his speech, but has put off offering his own draft legislation (most likely to extend the news cycle). The legislative process has been headed toward health insurance reforms and an individual mandate for a while, which is why progressives have been preparing to be disappointed with this speech since last week. The Right has little motivation to watch, beyond the prospect of playing Obama Health-Care Speech Bingo.

Accordingly, the self-selected audience for the speech will likely skew in favor of Obama, something to remember if the establishment media does a poll of people who watched the speech. Otherwise, the biggest beneficiaries of tonight’s speech are the cast and crew of Fox’s “So You Think You Can Dance?” and “Glee,” which should do boffo ratings.

Recently in the Green Room:

Comments

Of course…MSM will uniformly declare the speech a game-changer…blah, blah, blah.

It won’t be…having his tedious mug on the big screen right now is about the worse thing he could do for his HC plans. The left is getting it’s hopes up only to have them dashed back to earth again.

AUINSC on September 9, 2009 at 11:31 AM

Maybe his goal of reducing end of life costs will be realized by boring the American public to death- no, wait- they would have to first be provided an incentive to watch – I’d rather watch reruns of c-span.

huskerdiva on September 9, 2009 at 1:17 PM

I think of it as a “Do something. Anything.” speech and his audience is…posterity!

Peri Winkle on September 9, 2009 at 2:02 PM

Himself. He just loves to hear himself read from the teleprompter.

Daggett on September 9, 2009 at 2:10 PM

I actually think at this point its “game over, man”.

In The Flesh on September 9, 2009 at 2:12 PM

Prolly just a Dem pep rally after the August bloodbath. He’s hoping to help the Dem supermajority get its stones back.

NickelAndDime on September 9, 2009 at 2:14 PM

The media reports hailing it as a ‘home run’ have already been loaded into the network teleprompters. Sadly, nobody will be watching.

Vashta.Nerada on September 9, 2009 at 2:15 PM

I’d rather watch reruns of c-span.
huskerdiva on September 9, 2009 at 1:17 PM

I might paint a wall right after dinner, so I can grab a beer and watch it dry. I sure as hell won’t watch dancing with the stars.

NickelAndDime on September 9, 2009 at 2:16 PM

He’s trying to re-energize the rabid pro-Obama core of true believers who at this time last year would do anything for The One, since they believed he transcended humanity towards a higher sentient form of life.

Now? Eh, not so much, especially since last year they were facing an opposing base that was only fired up about Sarah Palin, not the actual presidential nominee, and the Obamatrons didn’t have to defend their hero’s policies or key pieces of legislation, because he had none. It’s a lot different playing defense instead of offense, especially since to get really fired up under the current climate means to many of Barack’s backers to go out and rough up a bunch of seniors and others opposed to Obamacare. That didn’t work out too well in August, and it’s hard to see how psyching up the SEIU goons in September is going to produce any more positive results for the president.

jon1979 on September 9, 2009 at 2:17 PM

I think his intended audience is the visitors to the interactive rooms at his presidential library. I hear Disney has already started on the 1461 animatronic Obamas, one for each day of his term in office.

Dusty on September 9, 2009 at 2:20 PM

I am going to a healthcare protest between 5:30-7:30 tonight…..

I think I will miss the propaganda – I mean speech by Chairman Obama.

Don’t worry I will re-cut the speech and upload to YouTube….

Here is one to tide you over.

izoneguy on September 9, 2009 at 2:22 PM

I’ll be watching the Yankees defeat the Devil Rays. And flipping back and forth with Mythbusters.

Say, how about we get Adam & Jamie to explode the myths around Obamacare. . .

rbj on September 9, 2009 at 2:22 PM

I think this past week he has been doing nothing but emboldening his faithful followers, tonight will be no different.

He’s deeply hoping some will take it too far and show up at a 9/12 gathering and go nuts so he can blame it on the right.

cntrlfrk on September 9, 2009 at 2:24 PM

Somebody please count the number of self-references. I’d count them, but I’d rather gouge out my own liver with a plastic spoon than watch the speech.

Daggett on September 9, 2009 at 2:27 PM

Dusty on September 9, 2009 at 2:20 PM

And don’t forget Kanye is working on the “It’s a Whitey World After All” lyrics.

Patrick S on September 9, 2009 at 2:34 PM

Karl

All right, now you’re just blatantly sucking up to us. I love that.

Jaibones on September 9, 2009 at 2:34 PM

The target audience is the American taxpayer:

“You are not smart enough to know what’s good for you. We all know it. Your kids would know it if you hadn’t farked up my school speech on Tuesday. This is going through whether you stupid hicks like it or not. Shut up and send me your money, comrade.”

God help us all.

ROCnPhilly on September 9, 2009 at 2:36 PM

“Who is Obama’s speech aimed at?”

Anyone who hasn’t heard it yet.

In other words …. deaf people.

fogw on September 9, 2009 at 2:38 PM

I might paint a wall right after dinner, so I can grab a beer and watch it dry.
NickelAndDime on September 9, 2009 at 2:16 PM

lol!

Alana on September 9, 2009 at 2:41 PM

I would have been PISSED if they showed this buffoon instead of Glee. I’ve been waiting for this show! The Pilot was awesome.

Ampersand on September 9, 2009 at 2:43 PM

wait, so SYTYCD and Glee will still be televised? Sweet! Go ahead and poke fun, but Glee is funny stuff.

MikeInBA on September 9, 2009 at 2:43 PM

behind the “at”. somebody had to say it.

kelley in virginia on September 9, 2009 at 2:44 PM

It’s either DVR recordings of NCIS or the great out-of-doors.

Jaibones on September 9, 2009 at 2:45 PM

john wayne DVDs. maybe “In Harm’s Way” or “Rio Grande”.

or maybe live blogging with you guys (while eating some majorly chocolate fudge ice cream)

kelley in virginia on September 9, 2009 at 2:48 PM

I believe that Melanie Oudin, a 17-year old American tennis phenom from Marietta, Georgia, is scheduled to light up center court at the US Open tonight at 7pm EST on ESPN.

I’d rather watch a patriotic American. I’m gonna watch Oudin instead of Obama.

marybel on September 9, 2009 at 3:08 PM

HE WILL BE SPEAKING TO HIMSELF.

singlemalt_18 on September 9, 2009 at 3:14 PM

marybel…

my thought exactly. I’ll be watching the us open…:-)

tencole on September 9, 2009 at 3:22 PM

This is definitely a CYA for him and he is pleading w/Congress to ignore the will of the people so his campaign promise to the left and poor doesn’t get ruined as well as his presidency. Because if this doesn;t get passed he is finished!

xler8bmw on September 9, 2009 at 3:23 PM

It’s not aimed at anyone really. He’s such a narciccist, he just needs to make himself the center of attention. Everything is all about him and his staging of events, even “spotaneous” ones.

Niteowl45 on September 9, 2009 at 3:35 PM

I also wonder – why did he give a speech to the A.F.L.-C.I.O. the other day? What’s the point other than for the Narcissist-in-Chief to hear thunderous, life-affirming applause?

As for me, I’ll be watching Melanie Oudin battle Caroline Wozniacki at the U.S. Open.

Buy Danish on September 9, 2009 at 4:13 PM

I guess I’ll watch Supernanny tonight – how pathetic is that? I miss Deadliest Catch. And then at 10 pm all the MSM’s will talk about how great Obamacrap was and how dare anyone disagree. Blech. I don’t know anyone interested in watching these staged shows.

SWChance on September 9, 2009 at 4:35 PM

Seems like a great night to watch re-runs of King of the Hill. Hank, the bros, a couple of beers, and the little moron, Bobbie, getting into trouble. No wait – ya think ‘Bambi ever watched that series? Real life imitating real life.

24K lady on September 9, 2009 at 6:01 PM