Green Room

My Disagreement With the Kennedy Narrative

posted at 1:57 am on August 30, 2009 by

After five days of flood-the-zone news coverage, eulogies, and encomiums, filled with hundreds of op-ed pieces and blog posts, the Democrats have made their vision of Senator Edward Kennedy’s life and career crystal clear. I’ve had some fun at their expense, but the late Senator has now been returned to the earth at Arlington, and fun time is over. I have some serious disagreements with the things I’ve heard from the Left over the last few days.

I do not believe a political career is worth a young woman’s life. Period. I don’t think Mary Jo Kopechne was proud to die for Ted Kennedy. I don’t think her horrifying death was a necessary human sacrifice to enable his “fortunate fall.” Ted Kennedy was not the victim of Chappaquiddick. Anyone who believes those things is a degenerate who should be shunned by civilized people.

I disagree with the notion that any aspect of Kennedy’s life “redeemed” him for the death of Mary Jo Kopechne. Redemption requires contrition, an admission of guilt. Kennedy never admitted responsibility or guilt for what happened at Chappaquiddick. I wish he had, because the idea of so many people rushing to grant him undeserved absolution is nauseating.

I disagree that the world will “sorely miss” the “moral clarity” of someone who enjoyed jokes about the woman who died because of his cowardice and lust for power. The human race will be greatly improved when it is infested by fewer such creatures.

I disagree that we should be more eager to pass an increasingly unpopular, blatantly unconstitutional, ridiculously expensive bill that would destroy the health-care industry, just because a dead politician from a wealthy and powerful family would have wanted it.

I don’t believe that destroying the reputation of a judge, through insane and reckless allegations that challenge his very humanity, represents great statesmanship. He tried the same slimy tactics he used on Robert Bork against Clarence Thomas. I don’t think the legacy of personal destruction Ted Kennedy inaugurated during the Bork confirmation hearings has been a plus for America.

I don’t believe that a man who worked with the Soviet Union to undermine American policy, slandered American troops while they were fighting battles in the streets of Iraq, and helped abandon the Cambodians to genocide was either a patriot, or a noble citizen of the world. His loyalty was to his own ambitions, to his Party, and to the country he thought America might become, if it would submit to his ideas. The loyalty of an arrogant man is always diluted by a measure of treachery.

I don’t believe a man fighting for his life against a brain tumor should be denied care under a quality of life formula, in a rationed government health-care system. I also don’t think those quality of life spreadsheets should add a million extra points for being a powerful politician. The idea that Senator Kennedy would have been denied the care he needed, to gain his extra year of life, under socialized medicine is ridiculous – the government will never apply rationing to its ruling elite, or make them wait in line. The idea that everyone else should be expected to surrender in their struggle for life is monstrous.

I disagree that the architect of the “Big Dig” debacle, who saddled the country with trillions of dollars in debt, and tried to change the rules of Massachusetts senatorial succession in an embarrassingly transparent bid to keep those seats permanently in his party’s hands, is “the greatest legislator of our time,” as President Obama called him. If he is, then his career is proof that we need fewer “great legislators.” We can’t afford them any more. Did he support some important legislation? Certainly. The most indisputably noble bill he was associated with was the Voting Rights Act of 1965. Mary Jo Kopechne died in 1969. That should have been the end of him.

I don’t think a man who lied to the police, and dispatched henchmen to destroy the reputation of the victim, to help his nephew beat sexual assault charges is any sort of feminist hero. Let me know when the feminists think it’s okay for a Republican to be one of the slices of bread in a waitress sandwich. The idea that political positions convey a supreme virtue, trumping abhorrent personal behavior, should be buried with Kennedy.

I disagree that someone’s party affiliation, position in the government, or last name should put them above the law. I disagree that four decades of squatting in a safe Senate seat is admirable, for anyone of any political party. I don’t see anything to applaud about a notorious womanizer with a spotless record of abortion extremism. I don’t find anything noble about a man born to wealth and privilege seeking moral authority by socking struggling middle-class businessmen with the bill for his high-minded social programs… especially when he took every opportunity to shelter his own income from taxes.

Many reasons have been offered for Ted Kennedy’s long, expensive, debased career: He was trading on his family name. The voters of Massachusetts thrust him on the country by perpetually re-electing him. It was America’s collective fault for letting him get away with Chappaquiddick. The media loved him because they love epic tales of heroic liberal politicians. We can learn not to repeat all of those mistakes.

When you go into the voting booths next year, remember what the past week has taught you about the Democrats. It would have been one thing to offer a salute to the parts of his political agenda they agreed with, while acknowledging the dark side. The full-on hagiography, coupled with the disgusting attempts to dismiss Mary Jo Kopechne’s life as a small price to pay for political power, reveal that this party knows nothing about the meaning of redemption, responsibility, and the value of individual human lives. The rest of us can neither afford nor tolerate anyone like Ted Kennedy, ever again.

Recently in the Green Room:

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Mary Jo Kopechne was available for comment.

40 years ago.

Sharke on August 30, 2009 at 3:14 PM

Bravo, Dr. Zero. I wish Mary Jo Kopechne could comment on your post as well. RIP EMK. Let’s put him behind us as best we can…but never forget that he represented everything we do not want in our politicians going forward.

MainelyRight on August 30, 2009 at 3:30 PM

It seems that the trust-fund-uber-millionare stiffed staffers for the litte-guy faux cause.

clorensen on August 30, 2009 at 2:05 PM

Not surprised by that. The Kennedys have always been hypocrites about money. They hide theirs in off-shore trusts so they won’t have to pay the heavy income tax burdens that they so willingly impose upon the rest of us to finance their Socialist wet dreams. I read an article the other day that disclosed details about some of those trusts. They had one Kennedy family trust set up in Fiji that had a principal amount of over $300 million — on which they paid U.S. income taxes of less than half of one percent! Sure, they want to “spread the wealth around” — as long as it’s our wealth, and not theirs, that’s getting spread around.

AZCoyote on August 30, 2009 at 3:34 PM

Well done, sir. An outstanding review of all the reasons why Teddy, and the Kennedy clan in general, is a total embarassment to the Irish American community.

As the son of Ireland born and bred parents, there was a time when there was a picture of JFK on the wall of every Irish household. No more.

NavyMustang on August 30, 2009 at 3:34 PM

Great stuff Doc. Would you please do the same type of critique or analysis of the more revered creeps in Congress that share similar behavioral standards with Ted?

How about the congressional creep of the week? Probably not enough weeks to ever get it done.

b3026 on August 30, 2009 at 3:45 PM

Bang on, DZ.

Maquis on August 30, 2009 at 3:45 PM

SUCC

Standing up clapping and cheering

faraway on August 30, 2009 at 3:56 PM

Way to beeyatch slap ‘em, Doc.

ncborn on August 30, 2009 at 3:59 PM

This is great. This is what I have been thinking all we. Thanks doc for putting it into words.

elBarto on August 30, 2009 at 4:15 PM

Haven’t read the rest of the comments, but just want to add my “well-done” to them. Very articulate and well-stated. Nail-head, meet hammer.

AZfederalist on August 30, 2009 at 4:31 PM

Doctor Zero–

If you do not make a living by your pen, you should. You have a “happy talent for composition and remarkable felicity of expression.”

publiuspen on August 30, 2009 at 4:42 PM

After reading the filth glorifying this monster in PuffHo & Joyce Carol Oates, I needed something to clear my head from their stench.

Thank you Doc. You did it for me and for everyone else who endured the hypocrisy of the last few days.

Amen for the good Doctor!

margategop517 on August 30, 2009 at 4:45 PM

Thanks Doc, I bear Kennedy no malice, but it is almost evil what the mainstream media have done to glorify their Teddy. I don’t remember any Senator getting that much media time at his death let alone the worship. It disgusts me. He wasn’t deserving of much beyond jail time, yet they make him out to be a saint. I pray God has more mercy on him than he had on Mary Jo. Thanks for setting the record straight links and all.

Christian Conservative on August 30, 2009 at 4:50 PM

Meanwhile liberals continue to live in their land of denial rewriting history for the next generation.

redridinghood on August 30, 2009 at 4:56 PM

Perseverance in the pursuit of evil is not a virtue. Which is all I will say about Ted Kennedy.

chemman on August 30, 2009 at 5:14 PM

Exactly. I remember this idea being shoved down our throats about 10 years ago, by the defenders of the impeached Bill Clinton, who during his boyhood was lucky enough to get his picture taken shaking the hand of Ted’s older brother.

Bigfoot on August 30, 2009 at 5:21 PM

I’m wondering when criticism of Red Ted will become racist. After all, he endorsed Obama.

publicserf on August 30, 2009 at 5:40 PM

Bravo! *standing ovation*

becki51758 on August 30, 2009 at 5:41 PM

Sen Kennedy was a public Pharisee against whom his Lord railed. Whatever redemption Sen. Kennedy may have experienced was privately, on his deathbed, by the Grace of that same God. Let the dead bury the dead.
Randy

williars on August 30, 2009 at 5:52 PM

Brilliant Dr. Zero. You should get top billing at this site.

Basilsbest on August 30, 2009 at 5:56 PM

A bloated, profligate, dissolute hypocrite born of criminal, racist stock, raised to behavioral standards unworthy of livestock and unredeemed by his pronouncements and valuations of the ethics of his betters, Ted Kennedy rates no mourning by anyone who actually merits the title “a man”.

Doorgunner on August 30, 2009 at 6:16 PM

Some people are starting to get it.
POLL: 57% Would Vote to Replace Entire Congress…

Col.John Wm. Reed on August 30, 2009 at 6:33 PM

The only good thing I could see coming out of this would be for the liberal media to tell Democrats, “This is it, no more passes. We’re going to treat you exactly the same way we’ve treated Republicans.” I could live with that.

bflat879 on August 30, 2009 at 1:47 PM

There wouldn’t be many democrats left if they did that!

starboardhelm on August 30, 2009 at 6:44 PM

I do think Obama was right to call Teddy the “Soul of the Democratic Party”. If ever a political party had a soul, theirs is that of a drunken sailor.

starboardhelm on August 30, 2009 at 6:47 PM

Ted Kennedy: Human garbage

angryed on August 30, 2009 at 6:56 PM

For those who believed in his legislative agenda, and, correctly, believed that it required someone named “Kennedy” to accomplish it one innocent life was collateral damage in the effort to socialize as much of the US economy as they could.

dedalus on August 30, 2009 at 2:05 PM

While there ARE things worth dying for…

…there are very few things worth KILLING for.

And I am hard pressed, VERY hard pressed, to think of ANYTHING that Teddy did that would in any way, shape or form “balance” Mary Jo’s murder.

In fact, just the opposite.

Instead of redemption, he used his “get out of jail free” card to bludgeon and coarsen public debate and public service.

Religious_Zealot on August 30, 2009 at 7:04 PM

I often wonder what would have happened if the roles were reversed. Teddy drowns; Mary Jo survives.

TimBuk3 on August 30, 2009 at 7:23 PM

tpitman on August 30, 2009 at 2:30 PM

I, too, have been blacklisted by the great HuffPo. I consider it an honor, actually.

LEBA on August 30, 2009 at 7:47 PM

A great post, Doctor Oh! Thank you for speaking up for women, and especially for Mary Jo.

ElainaVer on August 30, 2009 at 9:13 PM

I got banned from InSessions Board (the huge Court TV board), in the political forum, for posting about Ted Kennedy’s best friend (Ed Klein). I even posted the video about the ‘laughing about Chappaquiddick’ remark, and yet I got the following notice: {You have been banned for the following reason:
offensive rumor-”Close friend: Kennedy liked to joke about Chappaquiddick??? ”

Date the ban will be lifted: Never}

Is offensive, I’ll give the Moderator that, but it is NOT a rumor.

ElainaVer on August 30, 2009 at 9:16 PM

Excellent article.
Zero is my Hero.

SmallGovtGuy on August 30, 2009 at 10:34 PM

Yeah. What he said.

Allah, Ed – maybe it’s time for a threesome on a regular basis?

A Friend of the Devil on August 30, 2009 at 10:46 PM

Thank you Dr. Zero.

After years of reading Hot Air… I was just about to leave when the “Green Room” arrived, and then Dr. Zero renewed my enthusiasm to check the site everyday once again.

its nice to have a reprieve from “I hate Glenn Beck except for when Michelle says the exact same thing at the exact same time… and I have to pretend to agree”. oh did I say that out loud?! At any rate… I’ve enjoyed reading Dr. Zero with great gusto whoever he or she may be.

Cassandros

Cassandros on August 30, 2009 at 11:45 PM

Unfortunately -

The tax evasion goes on,

the hypocrisy endures,

the unmitigated gall still lives,

and the supply of mindless fawning sheeple shall never die.

MB4 on August 31, 2009 at 1:54 AM

A little off-topic, but maybe not a new Rasmussen poll:

57% Would Like to Replace Entire Congress

BDU-33 on August 30, 2009 at 8:52 AM

So let’s see. 57% for replacing them. Must be at least 10% for hanging them. So at least 67% against congress.

MB4 on August 31, 2009 at 1:59 AM

Dr. Zero,

You forgot the cheating stuff at Harvard but, hey, with as many fish in the barrel as the Kennedy clan gives us, it’s just not possible to kill every fish.

MaxMBJ on August 30, 2009 at 2:08 PM

And also don’t forget his daddy money bags pulling influence for him during the Korean war to have him sent to Paris instead of Korea. I wonder who went in his place and what happened to him. Does anyone know if there were any unsolved drownings in Paris during the Korean war?

MB4 on August 31, 2009 at 2:03 AM

I have only two words for this narrative…

Thank you!

belad on August 31, 2009 at 3:34 PM

And the good doctor knocks another one out of the park. :)

ZK on September 1, 2009 at 7:18 AM