Green Room

Honor Kennedy By Doing What He Did, Not What He Said

posted at 11:32 am on August 26, 2009 by

Back when Senator Kennedy was diagnosed with brain cancer, evidently my post noting the news was the harshest Slate could find on the conservative web. The right certainly displayed more decency than the left did upon hearing of Tony Snow’s diagnosis. Slate said I was “on guard for hagiography.” And now that Kennedy has died, I have not been disappointed.

I have empathy for the Kennedy family. I spent all day Monday at a funeral and the following reception, and it’s not like I’ve forgotten what grief is. It’s a sad day and I will certainly pray for them. But since the left is not hesitating to use his death to forward their political goals, I will match their level of respect by pointing out an inconvenient truth.

Ted Kennedy was diagnosed with a form of cancer where patients typically live about a year after diagnosis. In spite of the fact that he was old, obese, and a heavy drinker without any serious hope of recovery even with massive healthcare expenditures, he did not go home and take pain pills. On the contrary, he quickly assembled a team of more than a dozen experts from academic centers all over the country, and decided to have a surgery that the experts were sharply divided on. He utilized an option that will never be available to the rest of us if the left succeeds in providing “Medicare for all.”

So I’ll honor Senator Ted Kennedy by fighting for my right to emulate him in accessing health care to the extent that I want to and can afford.

Recently in the Green Room:

Comments

Exactly.

Here’s another hypocrisy of the left’s argument about health care that I don’t see anyone talking about right now:

If health care is a “right” then we all have the same “rights” do we not? A 70 year old person has the same “right” to health care that a 25 year old person has, otherwise the health care bill is promoting age discrimination, which makes it unconstitutional.

Of course, health care is NOT a right, but if the left wants to treat it that way, they should be prepared to deal with the consequences.

Daggett on August 26, 2009 at 11:49 AM

Honor Kennedy By Doing What He Did, Not What He Said

I thought I would have a drink.

bopbottle on August 26, 2009 at 12:02 PM

bopbottle

I’ll drink to that!
Unfortunately, I’d like to do what he did, but it’s a bit late to be born into and extremely rich and powerful family.
RWG (but I think I’ll survive)

RWG on August 26, 2009 at 12:49 PM

It’s sad that people don’t see the incredible hypocrisy behind Senator Kennedy’s health care decisions. What he did for himself is completely at odds with what he wants you to do. I’m afraid it’s the same for most of Congress, our President, and our Vice President. It seems to me to be completely impossible that they do not recognise their own Janus-like behavior. I believe instead that they simply do not care what happens to us. They are so insulated in their world of limosines, private jets, custom healthcare, and personal staffs, they will never know the anger growing in this country until the day it overwhelms them.

gordo on August 26, 2009 at 1:06 PM

Honor Kennedy By Doing What He Did, Not What He Said

Sorry, but leaving a woman to drown in my car after I drove it off a bridge goes against everything I was raised to believe about right and wrong.

Gator Country on August 26, 2009 at 1:08 PM

Kennedy’s doctor was at his side when he died at home. None of us will ever get that, the priest was there, too.

tessa on August 26, 2009 at 1:36 PM

I’ll be giving a bit of time for mourning, but once that time has passed I’ll be damned if I’ll have anyone use Kennedy’s name as some “holy of holy” untouchable refrain so that I “dare not speak badly” as to him, or his policies.

Let’s face it – he typified elitism and hypocrisy.\

o No windfarm off the Mass coast because it would make the yacht set unhappy. Well, boo hoo. I’m not hatin’ on the rich; frankly I’d like to be one of ’em. But With Ted it was all about OTHER people.

o He LOVED the death tax, but kept his family fortunes in trust funds to NOT pay for them, and the, from what I read, much of the family fotune was incorporated in **FIJI** for tax purposes. WTF, over?

And, as we all could, I could go on.

Yes, it was his false Mary Jo died. And today he would (if he was one of us) be charged with criminally negligent homicide. And no, you don’t get to wipe that one away with time because he NEVER DID ANY TIME for it.

My 2 cents.

LSBeene on August 26, 2009 at 2:07 PM

I really gotta review what I wrote before I post – got some serious grammer and spell issues with my post.

Sorry.

LSBeene on August 26, 2009 at 2:09 PM

Saw that title and thought you wanted us to get drunk and do a Teddy Kennedy or Susan Smith number.

lonestar1 on August 26, 2009 at 2:37 PM

Great piece. You hit the nail right on the head.

Cinday Blackburn on August 26, 2009 at 6:15 PM

Honor Kennedy By Doing What He Did, Not What He Said

Bottoms up!

I think I’ll pass on the rest.

hillbillyjim on August 26, 2009 at 11:09 PM

Honor Kennedy By Doing What He Did, Not What He Said

But wouldn’t I be in prison for vehicular homicide because my last name really isn’t Kennedy?

Jeff from WI on August 27, 2009 at 6:18 AM

McConnell may not get his wish on health care vote

Taylor Millard Jun 25, 2017 7:31 PM
Top Pick

Senate leadership wants a vote this week, others say, “Negative, Ghost Rider.”

Top Pick

Helping others without the government.

“…the reality is the reality.”

These kiosks don’t make $15 per hour or need benefits

Going for the record

“We will answer them on the field”

Taking it to the limit

Sunday morning talking heads

Jazz Shaw Jun 25, 2017 8:01 AM

Health care and tweeting and Russia, oh my!

Will they stay or will they go?

I can’t imagine what I was thinking when I said that

Rocking the boat majorly

Big government never contracts. It only grows more powerful

It’s only a “ban” until it becomes inconvenient

The decline and fall of Obamacare and the AHCA

Jazz Shaw Jun 24, 2017 8:31 AM

This was all over before it began

Fixing crime in America is a complicated issue

Taylor Millard Jun 23, 2017 8:31 PM

Cops alone won’t solve it.

Democrats forgot all about the “era of good feelings”

“Bernie and Jane Sanders have lawyered up.”

Winning isn’t everything. It is the only thing

Trump signs VA reform bill into law

John Sexton Jun 23, 2017 2:41 PM

A new era of something.

“…died suddenly in less than a week just after his return to the U.S.”

The shortsightedness of “Denounce and Preserve”

Taylor Millard Jun 23, 2017 12:11 PM

Pragmatism for the sake of pragmatism doesn’t always work.

Perhaps if you threw in a new car?

Gay marriages still growing, but not as fast

Andrew Malcolm Jun 23, 2017 10:31 AM

More, but not as quickly.

Should’ve stuck with the pirate gig. It was working for him

The battle for the rubble of Raqqa is underway

Andrew Malcolm Jun 23, 2017 8:51 AM

Won’t be much left.

Your list of demands is a publicity stunt

“The jobs are still leaving. Nothing has stopped.”

Bad vendor. Bad! No cookie!

“So you want me to sing my praises, is that what you’re saying?”

Why would we possibly want that?

“I mean he sold our country to The Russians.”

I could think of someone else you might want to ask about…