Green Room

Finding the Strength to Go On…

posted at 10:16 pm on August 26, 2009 by

This was an actual headline at MSNBC.com this evening. Amazingly enough, this is not the most gushing tribute to the late senator from Massachusetts.

So…can I imagine life without Ted Kennedy?

As a matter of fact, I can. Tonight, I will go to bed and sleep. Tomorrow, I will wake up, consume a caffeinated beverage of some sort and go to work. After work, I will go back to my house, eat dinner, spend some time with my wife and daughters, then read and/or blog before going to bed. The next morning, the cycle will start again. As hard as it may seem for those at MSNBC to believe, the chances of me thinking of Ted Kennedy in that average day are roughly 0.0%.

This may come as a shock to those in the media engaged in the deification of Kennedy, but there are likely millions of us who manage to make it through our daily routines without thinking of Ted Kennedy.

So, life without Kennedy is going to look like…well, life.

Recently in the Green Room:

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

one of the Humanist gods has passed away

jp on August 27, 2009 at 8:54 AM

Bishop on August 27, 2009 at 8:18 AM

Also, I thought Catholics must bury cremated remains, not spread them. Curious.

JiangxiDad on August 27, 2009 at 8:53 AM

The Church permits having the remains committed to the sea, but they must be kept together in an urn, not scattered.

pannw on August 27, 2009 at 9:08 AM

I live in Massachusetts. Haven’t given him a second thought since he died. Wish the election commission would sets election dates and candidates would announce so we can get on with it and not see the legislature be hypocrites.

Ricki on August 27, 2009 at 9:11 AM

Can’t wait for the Ipecac cascade eulogy.

hillbillyjim on August 27, 2009 at 9:14 AM

I have wanted to think of him less but, living in massachusetts, they won’t let me.

WashingtonsWake on August 27, 2009 at 9:27 AM

My son’s teacher (he’s in 5th grade) made his class look up ten facts about Ted Kennedy; he told me that he included the infamous Chappaquiddick “incident”.

Asajj Ventress on August 27, 2009 at 9:28 AM

What the MSM really is mourning, IMHO, is the official final passing of the absurd Camelot legend. No remaining Kennedy has the political stature to keep the myth alive — though I am sure they will try with Caroline.

jwolf on August 27, 2009 at 9:39 AM

I love the GreenRoom writers… sigh!

That said – I am so-o-o tired of the deification of the moment of whichever spotlighted personality who has passed away the media wishes slobber over (apologies for convoluted sentence). Mr. Kennedy enjoyed his life, his power, his privelege, and I disagreed with almost everything he ever said or stood for. He was in the Senate as long as I have been alive. I considered him a buffoon when I was a teenager watching him run for president, and I hated politics on general principle. (Now I just hate politicians on general principle…) Can we all just stop being love-sick drama queens, perhaps express a subdued sympathy for his family, who do truly sorrow, and then the rest of us just move along? Because, really, there’s nothing to see here…

WraithRat on August 27, 2009 at 9:39 AM

Here’s an appropriate tribute: name each American’s share of the national debt after him. When talking about large numbers, we’d have one Teddy, two Teddies, etc.

A legacy our children, and grandchildren, and great grandchildren …. can believe in (and pay for).

gonegaltinstl on August 27, 2009 at 9:42 AM

I know one thing for sure, I will be nowhere near a TV on Saturday.

royzer on August 27, 2009 at 9:51 AM

Well,for grand starts, liquor sales in that region are going to be a lot lower than they used to be. Plus there will be fewer cars with young girls left in them being driven into the bay.

pilamaye on August 27, 2009 at 9:59 AM

Dude, I’m almost as upset about Ted Kennedy’s passing as I am about Michael Jackson’s. How will I ever go on?

joe_doufu on August 27, 2009 at 10:11 AM

“Imagining life without Kennedy”

Scotch whiskey stocks fall.
Sales of “Ken-e-Repel” brand mace in eastern MA & DC fall.
Noxious, gaseous emissions in Senate chamber fall.
Hopes of never seeing a Kennedy on my idiot box rise.

Doorgunner on August 27, 2009 at 10:19 AM

Springtime will be here soon. At long last.

itzWicks on August 27, 2009 at 10:19 AM

I would like to thank Senator Kennedy, posthumously, for his military service to the USofA:

Kennedy enlisted in the United States Army in June 1951.[15] Following basic training at Fort Dix, he requested assignment to Fort Holabird for Army Intelligence training, but was dropped after a few weeks without explanation.[15] He went to Camp Gordon for training in the Military Police Corps.[15] In June 1952, he was assigned to the honor guard at SHAPE headquarters in Paris.[9][15] His father’s political connections ensured he was not deployed to the ongoing Korean War.[9][16] While stationed in Europe he travelled extensively on weekends and climbed the Matterhorn.[17] He was discharged in March 1953 as a private first class.[15][17]

Emphasis and linkage by ExpressoBold; so much I could have implied but didn’t (like why was he dropped for intelligence training? Did he really climb Matterhorn or did he have someone do it for him under his name so he could claim it? See? I did none of that).

Bye bye, Senator Kennedy!

ExpressoBold on August 27, 2009 at 10:21 AM

How will I ever start my Buick based submarine service without him?!?!

TheUnrepentantGeek on August 27, 2009 at 10:22 AM

Bishop on August 27, 2009 at 8:18 AM

Wow, I never knew that. What in the world did JFK Jr. have to to with the navy, or military? Unbelievable!!

(Sorry, posted this in the wrong order–don’t ask)

JiangxiDad on August 27, 2009 at 8:54 AM

I didn’t know that either–I just googled it–so they made “a special family request”? I can imagine what the libs would say if that was a Republican family–say “Bush”….Oh course, the Bushes are humble, and like Reagan, and would never be so audacious.

lovingmyUSA on August 27, 2009 at 10:31 AM

I don’t know if I’d be as disgusted with the MSM if they gave our guys this level of tribute. Who am I kidding, I’d be doubly disgusted with the extra pathos and heartache.

Iblis on August 27, 2009 at 10:36 AM

I’ll think of Ted every time I see a VW Beatle float down a river, lake or stream from the classic spoof ad that proclaimed “If Ted Kennedy drove one of these, he’d be President now.”

Highplains on August 27, 2009 at 10:54 AM

A link to the ad.

Highplains on August 27, 2009 at 10:57 AM

This will pull me out of my slump…

right2bright on August 27, 2009 at 11:10 AM

Also, I thought Catholics must bury cremated remains, not spread them. Curious.

JiangxiDad on August 27, 2009 at 8:53 AM

The Kennedy’s would never let a small matter like that get in the way of what they want. How else to explain their tireless campaigning for abortion?

Dee2008 on August 27, 2009 at 11:11 AM

I’m sure we’ll all have plenty of chance to think about Kennedy some more when the battle he started over the disposition of his senate seat begins to rage.

HowardPortnoy on August 27, 2009 at 11:25 AM

As with all evil people when they die, My attitude is “they know the truth now.” The only tragedy is that they do not come to the truth in their life.

Grafted on August 27, 2009 at 8:04 AM

AMEN!

GrannyDee on August 27, 2009 at 11:47 AM

What is this bi-partisan crap? Ted was NOT bi-partisan.

He’s been lauded by several left wing media as the liberal lode stone, when they want to point to the left, they pointed to ted.

One of the things I hate about the liberals is their propensity for revisionist history. It’s disgusting.

Spiritk9 on August 27, 2009 at 11:56 AM

I think if John and Bobby had survived they would have shut down Teddies ‘liberal hatred’ decades ago.

Freddy on August 27, 2009 at 12:05 PM

Doctor Zero on August 26, 2009 at 10:59 PM

Ha! Epic nail. Good to see you commenting for a change. :-)

I’m more likely to retort the following:

Ted’s dead, baby, Ted’s dead.
di butler on August 27, 2009 at 8:05 AM

You said it… “Who’s helicopter is this?” “It’s a chopper, baby.” “Who’s chopper is this?” “Ted’s”. “Who’s Ted?”

RD on August 27, 2009 at 12:08 PM

Thanks, RD. Didn’t know if anyone would get the reference, and was kinda disappointed it took so long. People, it’s a classic.

di butler on August 27, 2009 at 12:33 PM

I’ll bet there are a lot of bartenders crying, though the Kopechnes probably are imagining what life would be like without Teddy.

Tantor on August 27, 2009 at 5:27 PM

I carry from this event a greater appreciation of just how much untruth has been inserted into our minds by the media. Chappquidick happened when I was just a kid. My impression was always that car had gone off a real bridge into serious water, 10-20-30 feet deep or more. It wasn’t until the articles about his death that I finally saw a picture or a diagram of the car in the water. “swim to the car”? JC he could walk to the car! He could stand there all night and try to get the door or window open! The fact that this vermin was not roasted by our friends in the press is enough to condemn every other thing they say on any topic.

Kyle Kiernan on August 28, 2009 at 12:55 AM