Green Room

Tinkerbell Must Die

posted at 5:28 pm on August 20, 2009 by

The appearance today of two columns with more or less opposing viewpoints on how we got to where we are in the health-care debate brings to mind the famous scene in the second act of J. M. Barrie’s immortal play Peter Pan, where Tinkerbell is ill. Peter turns to the audience and gravely intones, “Tinkerbell is going to die because not enough people believe in fairies. But if all of you clap your hands real hard to show that you do believe in fairies, maybe she won’t die.”

One of the columns is by Daniel Henninger of the Wall Street Journal. The other is by Joe Klein of Time magazine.

Henninger’s column, titled “In Government We Trust?”, begins with the observation that Barack Obama assumed the presidency at a time when the bottom was falling out of the housing market and the economy was listing badly. Soon after Obama took the Oath of Office, news of the Madoff Ponzi scheme broke, and so did the back of the American people’s trust in government and the good will of their fellow men.

So what does Obama do to restore that trust? He strong-arms through Congress a $787 billion-dollar stimulus package written by Nancy Pelosi and Friends and bloated with pork. Within days of passage of that bill, Obama turns his sights on major twin issues that were cornerstones of his campaign: health-care reform and energy reform. Like a kid set loose in a candy store, he offers sweeping and unprecedentedly expensive prescriptions for change (the change we were told we could believe in?) in these areas, with little more than the roughest of blueprints to communicate his plan to the American people.

And when concerned Americans of all political stripes — not just conservatives, as has been widely misreported — start voicing legitimate objections, what does the agent of change do in response? He scolds them from the White House podium, and stands mutely aside as his Congressional colleagues and the mainstream media assail them as “angry mobs,” “liars,” and “un-American.” And so here we are, at the present juncture, the President’s approval ratings understandably tanking, along with confidence in his health-care proposal.

Which brings us to Joe Klein. How does Joe diagnose the current problem? The title of his column, “The GOP Has Become a Party of Nihilists,” provides a hint, though before he gets to his main point, Joe offers as a warm-up act a human-interest story starring his own parents. (There seems to be a lot of these heart-wrenching personal accounts coming from the liberal press these days, the implication seeming to be If you don’t have a real argument, appeal to the the reader’s compassion. Then again, we do have a president who values empathy.)

The short version of Joe’s family saga goes like this: Both his parents are 89 and in failing health, and he and they must deal with the grim realities of preparing for the inevitable fate we all face, including ensuring that they have a durable living will. I went through the same painful dealings with both my parents in the last two years, so understand, I am not making light of Klein’s plight.

What I am making fun of is the fatuous conclusion Klein’s twisted logic brings him to: Because the majority of American people have decided not to embrace Obama’s health-care plan wholesale, Klein’s parents will not get free end-of-life counseling, and somehow because of this Republicans are nihilists.

First, as a public service, a news flash to Klein: Since 1990, health care institutions have been required by law to provide new patients with written notice of their right to make a durable living will, and are required moreover to treat patients  whether or not they have a will in place. So your parents are covered should they be hospitalized, transferred to a nursing facility, or whatever. That obviates your having to have a conversation about durable living wills with your dad. (Klein writes that he doesn’t “have the standing” to broach such issues with his father in whose eyes Joe is “still just a kid.” Second news flash to Klein: Your father is not the only person who sees you that way.)

As for Klein’s conclusion that Republicans have become nihilists, I lack the psychiatric credentials needed to make an accurate evaluation. So instead, I hazard a guess: I think Klein is substituting a highfalutin multisyllabic word for a rather basic emotional impulse. And that is the feeling that conservatives are spoiling all the fun. Klein believes in a mythical figure with wondrous powers who promised to take good boys and girls to a new special place. The mythical figure is called an obama and the mythical place of blue skies and gumdrop trees is called the Remade United States of America.

And now thanks to some evil gremlins called Republicans, the trip is off — no matter how hard Joe claps.

Cross-posted at Zombie Contentions

Recently in the Green Room:

Comments

Wait, I thought we were Christianists who were too worried about morals and such things.

18-1 on August 20, 2009 at 7:25 PM

My wife collects cats. When I clap my hands in a fashion that revives Tinkerbell, all the cats run in the same direction into the same room. Then, I close the door on them. I’m empowered. They are on one side of the door and I’m on the other. I don’t care too much what the cats think about me – I give them great healthcare.

ericdijon on August 20, 2009 at 8:37 PM

Thanks for your insights.

Just one clarification, though: the legal document to create to ensure your wishes for your healthcare are followed when you are unable to understand your options and choose for yourself is called a “durable healthcare power-of-attorney.” There’s no such thing as a “durable will.”

It also is wise to make a durable general power-of-attorney so that someone can handle your financial affairs when you cannot. The general power-of-attorney can be written to “spring,” or come into effect, only when certain conditions are met to determine you are unable to handle your own affairs.

I am working on a book on how to navigate the medical system and make end-of-life care choices. Hot Air readers are welcome to check in at my blog, A Conservative Lesbian, for the announcement that the book is ready.

Cynthia Yockey -- A Conservative Lesbian on August 21, 2009 at 11:55 AM

Cynthia, thank you for your corrections, which are reflected in my edited post. (I assume, based on independent investigation, that the term living will is correct?) As to your book, I could have surely used it when I was making these difficult decisions for my parents.

Thank you for writing.

Best,
Howard Portnoy

HowardPortnoy on August 21, 2009 at 12:16 PM

ericdijon on August 20, 2009 at 8:37 PM

ROFL! I just about wee-wee’d myself.

Rosmerta on August 22, 2009 at 2:28 PM

Top Pick

“We will never stop fighting the violent left on the battlefield of truth.”

Top Pick

“He talks to us. He’s talking to ‘We the People.'”

Self-order kiosks coming to some Subway locations

John Sexton Jul 17, 2017 9:21 PM

“…a growing feature in more quick-service and fast-casual restaurants.”

Kurds: “We believe 99%” ISIS leader still alive

Ed Morrissey Jul 17, 2017 8:41 PM

Not in Mosul … or in Raqqa either?

The jobs Americans won’t do.

“A police spokesman said on Monday that the violence against officers was ‘horrifying’…”

Acid flashback?

Perhaps not a miracle, but still good news

“…there was a lot of pressure from them and their friends for Gretchen to change what she was saying.”

“That’s not OK.”

Let’s get off the stick here

“There’s a silent majority that’s still there, and still in this state, so watch out.”

“…I couldn’t speak, I couldn’t express my concerns and I couldn’t make any—ask any questions because I’m white.”

Political opinions change, but… science?

“Most politicians would have gone to a meeting like the one Don jr attended…”

“freedom does not go backwards, democracy is not negotiated”

Themes: WH kicks off “Made in America” week

Ed Morrissey Jul 17, 2017 12:31 PM

“Brute repetition is the only way to break through.”

Are you ready for Senator Caitlyn Jenner?

Allahpundit Jul 17, 2017 11:21 AM

“I have considered it. I like the political side of it.”

Reducing the backlog

Break-in, threat against GOP Senator in Las Vegas?

Ed Morrissey Jul 17, 2017 10:01 AM

Whodunit?

What could possibly go wrong?

On the heels of the Castile acquittal.

The common enemy uniting the left has yet to attack them

Fits the universe.

Rand Paul doesn’t think health care bill will pass

Taylor Millard Jul 16, 2017 6:31 PM

Not enough votes.

Saving the children from the curse of drinking milk

Here today, gone tomorrow?

Sunday reflection: Matthew 13:1-23

Ed Morrissey Jul 16, 2017 11:31 AM

Sowing the seeds of love.

Or maybe you’re just enjoying the lawsuit

And both are serious

Sunday morning talking heads

Allahpundit Jul 16, 2017 8:01 AM

Moment of truth.

Kill it, ignore it, call them haters.

Open carry for knives, spears and … swords?

Jazz Shaw Jul 15, 2017 7:01 PM