Green Room

Speaking of being your brother’s keeper…

posted at 7:47 pm on August 19, 2009 by

President Obama is now calling on people of faith to “to knock on doors, talk to neighbors, spread the facts and speak the truth” about the government health care plan about which Obama, his supporters, his cabinet, and members of Congress shamefully keep getting quoted out of context.  What next, Mr. President? Are you going to claim that if government health care doesn’t pass, God will strike you dead?  My favorite part of his speech is this:

“These are all fabrications that have been put out there in order to discourage people from meeting what I consider to be a core ethical and moral obligation: that is, that we look out for one another; that is, I am my brother’s keeper, I am my sister’s keeper. And in the wealthiest nation in the world right now we are neglecting to live up to that call.”

If anyone knows about neglecting to live up to the call to be his brother’s keeper, it’s Barack Obama.  Way to fulfill that “core ethical and moral obligation,” Mr. President!

Added: He’s so arrogant he probably does think he’s partners with God. The senior partner.

Recently in the Green Room:

Comments

A few things I find odd about his speech:

“That is just an extraordinary lie,” he said, adding that it was based on a provision in the House legislation that would allow Medicare to reimburse someone who voluntarily sought counseling on how to set up a living will for the end of life.

“It gives an option that people who can afford fancy lawyers already experience,” the Harvard-trained lawyer said.

Here he’s referencing the “death panel” idea. Hospitals routinely provide counseling to patients (regardless of age) upon admission. Patients are asked to complete a Health Care Proxy form and Advanced Healthcare Directive, to aid in decision making should they become incapacitated. At the hospital where I worked, these ladies were called Case Managers and I believe it was part of the hospital’s effort to comply with regulations of the Joint Commission of Accreditation of Healthcare Organizations. Point is, it is a free service – no “fancy lawyer” is necessary.

Also, if you want to donate to charitable/religious organizations, that should be of your own free will – not via a forced mandate. Keep an eye on your religious institutions too – just because they call on the name of God does not mean you should blindly trust. I recently cancelled my monthly sponsorship to Christian Children’s Fund. They just changed their name to Child Fund International. Kinda creepy for me. When I originally signed up, it was all about Christian assistance. The letter I received from them said something about, “For the last 30 years we have not included Christian teaching in the forefront of our efforts.” I told them I’d find a way to donate my cash a little closer to home (where I can keep an eye on it).

fullogas on August 19, 2009 at 8:33 PM

Calling on People of Faith? Shouldn’t he be calling on People of the Fairway? That’s where he spends every Sunday.

batterup on August 19, 2009 at 9:11 PM

He can stay on the links 24/7 as far as I’m concerned. More golf, less politicking = good news for America. 🙂

Laura on August 19, 2009 at 10:15 PM

Now he want’s to call on people of “FAITH” when he has said the we are not a Christian nation. Just what people of faith is he calling on … the royal order of the buffalo’s.

Kris on August 21, 2009 at 9:06 AM

PS Welcome back!

Kris on August 21, 2009 at 9:08 AM

Manafort, firm registers as foreign agents

Ed Morrissey Jun 28, 2017 6:41 PM
Top Pick

Better late than never?

Top Pick

Delivered as promised

“I would like to think that the president saved many innocent men, women and children.”

“The Russia investigation was by far the dominant topic…”

The merry little media war continues.

Criminal enterprise

Politico: Has the SPLC lost its way?

John Sexton Jun 28, 2017 3:01 PM

“The organization has always tried to find ways to milk money out of the public…”

Trump legal team backing away from Comey complaint?

Ed Morrissey Jun 28, 2017 2:31 PM

De-escalation?

Time to get up and go to work, sir

CNN gets glum, defensive after resignations

John Sexton Jun 28, 2017 1:01 PM

“If Jeff lit himself on fire, it wouldn’t appease the pro-Trump media.”

Hmmm: FBI probing Russia-based anti-virus firm?

Ed Morrissey Jun 28, 2017 12:31 PM

“I wouldn’t put their stuff on my computer if you paid me.”

He works hard for the money…

It’s not a slippery slope. It’s a freaking avalanche.

Nuts.

Showdown: Sarah Palin vs the New York Times

Jazz Shaw Jun 28, 2017 9:21 AM

Defamation

Credit where creditor’s due?

More flash than bang, but a very bad sign

“Felix was out on bond after threatening another public servant and has a history of making threats.”

Chaffetz: House needs housing allowances?

Ed Morrissey Jun 27, 2017 8:41 PM

“There are dozens upon dozens of members living in their offices, and I don’t know how healthy that is long term.”

“This isn’t going to get a lot cheaper, it can’t, it won’t.”

“…what we failed to achieve with votes, we would do with weapons.”

“[S]o dumb it’s amazing we even have to have the conversation.”

“It was not necessary.”

“You’re inflaming everyone right here right now with those words!”

“Trump’s people said, ‘We’ll be writing the speech that the President’s Audio-Animatronic figure will be saying.'”

Excuses, excuses.

Not really a “kill all the lawyers” scenario

4 pm ET!

“it has not taken serious steps to end its own complicity in trafficking, including forced laborers from North Korea.”

Currently doing a search for “good international trade lawyers”

Ransomware attack spreads through Europe

John Sexton Jun 27, 2017 1:01 PM

“A massive ransomware campaign is currently unfolding worldwide.”

At least their address rarely changes