Green Room

The Carnahan Carnival; Update: Gladney’s attorney recounts details of beating; Update: Carnahan staffer among those arrested? Update: Post-Dispatch buries Gladney paragraphs

posted at 11:07 am on August 7, 2009 by

As I noted yesterday in my pre-town hall primer, there were rumors that not everyone that could be let in, would be. And so it was: entire areas of the “town hall” were apparently cordoned off despite the massive attendance, with sections set aside for Carnahan’s astroturfing operation.

This was the line to get in… an hour before the event:

“I like your flag.” That’ll come into play later.

The parking lot at the school was full when I arrived, and people were already crossing the field near the street on their way from their street spots. (Hence, the cars exiting in the line video; there were no spaces to be had.) I had to park three blocks away even as a relatively early arrival; others parked much farther away.

I got into the line immediately after taping it, but not everyone was abiding by the same rules. Carnahan staffers were wandering through the line with a list of “guests” that, as expected, got to jump the line and join the Astroturf of Purple inside. Not sure how many “town halls” operate like a gated community, but this one certainly did.

Speaking of purple, these guys didn’t even bother with the line.

Recognize them?

I knew you would. At about the time I caught them walking around the line, word came out that the show, for the rest of us, was over. Hence, these guys (and several others) tried to sneak into the event through a side door, in contrast to Russ Carnahan, who would have snuck out the back.

Speaking of Russ Carnahan, I’d like to point out the statement he made in the Post-Dispatch article about the event, and which really shows the lengths to which the Congressman, incapable of formulating a compelling narrative on his own that accords with the facts, has to rely on his talking points.

“Sadly we’ve seen stories about disrupters around the country, and we have a handful of them here in Missouri. Instead of participating in a civil debate, they have mobilized with special interests in Washington who have lined their pockets by overcharging Americans for a broken health care system.”

So… which “special interest” is aligned with the SEIU?

You say, Russ Carnahan’s re-election hopes? In all seriousness, Roy Blunt needs to send Russ a bouquet of flowers or something, because the damage Russ is doing to the Carnahan brand right now is more than Roy could have dreamed to do on his own.

By the way, Kenneth Gladney, the man attacked here, is a conservative who was giving out… “Don’t Tread on Me” flags. Sounds like some of the union members weren’t as enthused about Gladney’s work later that evening as I was earlier in the day. A powerful little flag, indeed.

Also, a suggestion to Kim Bell and Leah Thorsen, Post-Dispatch writers: You need to do a better job of concealing the spin. (The inverted pyramid also does wonders for that, and for organization generally.) After talking at length about the arrests surrounding the Gladney incident, the reporters behind the P-D’s monstrosity finally gets around to the victim… with this lead in from one of the people arrested:

Spitz said she won’t be returning to any such meetings anytime soon.

“These tea baggers are dangerous,” she said. “I’m not going to any more town hall meetings until these people calm down.”

Really, really classy, Post-Dispatch. I’m actually surprised you let that get printed on your digital paper.

Let me show you a few of these dangerous, dangerous people.

Look, a mob cap!

If you had trouble identifying them for the mob that they were, here’s a primer for future reference.

All in all, a successful day. Did I mention Russ Carnahan should be run out of office on a rail? You can help.

Update: A friend of Gladney’s who was apparently there described the incident in the comment section of the Examiner St Louis Buzz blog. According to his report, at least three of the batterers were SEIU reps.

I was at the event. My name is David Brown. I am an atty in St. Louis. My friend, Kenneth Gladney, who is black, was passing out Don’t Tread on Me Flags and Tea Party buttons at the end of the event to Tea Party supporters and conservatives. He was then called a racial slur by two SEIU members. He was then attacked by two black males (SEIU reps) and white male, another SEIU rep., and a white woman. The punched him in the face and he fell to the ground. He was then kicked and punched by all four. One fled on foot, and three were arrested. Kenneth was taken to St. John’s Mercy Hospital to the emergency room. He has suffered numerous injuries. For more information, please contact me at PHONE NUMBER EDITED OUT. Thank you.

That fits with this letter, written to the St. Louis Tea Party.

August 7, 2009

Dear Mr. Hennessy:

I am Kenneth Gladney’s attorney. Kenneth was attacked on the evening of August 6, 2009 at Rep. Russ Carnahan’s town hall meeting in South St. Louis County. I was at the town hall meeting as well and witnessed the events leading up to the attack of Kenneth. Kenneth was approached by an SEIU representative as Kenneth was handing out “Don’t Tread on Me” flags to other conservatives. The SEIU representative demanded to know why a black man was handing out these flags. The SEIU member used a racial slur against Kenneth, then punched him in the face. Kenneth fell to the ground. Another SEIU member yelled racial epithets at Kenneth as he kicked him in the head and back. Kenneth was also brutally attacked by one other male SEIU member and an unidentified woman. The three men were clearly SEIU members, as they were wearing T-shirts with the SEIU logo.

Kenneth was beaten badly. One assailant fled on foot; three others were arrested. Kenneth was admitted to St. John’s Mercy Medical Center emergency room, where he was treated for his numerous injuries. Kenneth was merely expressing his freedom of speech by handing out the flags. In fact, he merely asked people as they exited the town hall meeting whether they would like a flag. He in no way provoked any argument or altercation, as evidenced by the fact that three assailants were arrested.

We hope that Kenneth fully recovers from his injuries; however, he is in great pain at this time. We will be pursuing legal action at our discretion. This was a truly senseless hate crime carried out by racist union thugs. Regretfully, Representative Carnahan’s statements blaming Kenneth for being a disruptive force are wholly untrue and slanderous. We would like to think that an elected official in Representative Carnahan’s position would gather accurate information before carelessly rushing to judgment.

Kenneth supports conservative ideals, although he subscribes to no particular political party. We are calling on the SEIU, Representative Carnahan, and President Obama to condemn the racist actions of these union thugs. In the days to come, we will be investigating whether these thugs are working at the behest of Representative Carnahan and how strong their alliances to various organizations–such as ACORN–may be.

We hope the St. Louis Tea Party and tea party organizations around the country will protest Representative Carnahan’s offices and also protest SEIU offices in every major city across the U.S. These Democratic strong-arm tactics must end now.

Regards,

Attorney David B. Brown

Update: Uh oh.

Update: Inverted pyramid, indeed. It was the most important update to the Post-Dispatch article late last night, became middling news this morning, and is now apparently the least important part of the story. For the P-D’s next trick, watch this story, disappear!

Recently in the Green Room:

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

Is St. Louis like mob central, or what?

kc8ukw on August 7, 2009 at 11:26 AM

OMG, I miss living in the Mid-West. I can only imagine how awful it will be at Tsongas Town Hall in Chelmsford, MA tomorrow. Have Mid-West Libs gotten as bad as NE Libs?

gopmom on August 7, 2009 at 11:34 AM

I would recommend people contacting the President of the East Hillsborough Democrat Political Club about Karen Miracle, their treasurer (the woman seen slapping a guy on Drudge), and her assault on a tea party member. Link to the photos and demand her termination (full array of photos here: http://www.tampabay.com/specials/2009/photo_galleries/TownHall/ (photos 9-16)

Enoxo on August 7, 2009 at 11:39 AM

Here you have huge SEIU members attacking peaceful protesters.
A white SEIU member attacks a black conservative….where are the calls
of racism? Notice when the police show up – The SEIU member cannot believe
he is getting arrested. I guess he thought when Obama told them to push back twice as hard he would not get in trouble. I wonder if Obama will say the police acted “stupidly” in arresting the SEIU member? Notice how the police are getting nervous? They arrested the SEIU idiot for his own protection. Obama should be proud – all of his years as a community organizer are paying off.

Folks if you wonder what Obama was talking about when he kept saying:
“I am a community organizer” well that video shows what dear leader was talking about. Keep the video cameras rolling – this will be gold for those candidate TV spots for the 2010 elections.

izoneguy on August 7, 2009 at 11:43 AM

Mark Levin is telling people if they see AFLCIO or SEIU members at the town halls, to send him the info @ Landmark Legal Foundation..
He’s going after them.

izoneguy on August 7, 2009 at 11:43 AM

Interesting times we live in.

Graystoke on August 7, 2009 at 11:45 AM

The Unions aren’t “special interests”? They don’t have lobbyists/congressmen in Washington? Saul Alinsky was one hell of a guy….too bad we can’t go back in time and kill him a la the terminator. He writes a book and the world descends into chaos.

Haunches on August 7, 2009 at 11:45 AM

The sword of the state is drawn to shed the blood of the citizen.

ted c on August 7, 2009 at 11:46 AM

Contact http://www.landmarklegal.org/

He’s going after them.

Try this:

contact@landmarklegal.org

izoneguy on August 7, 2009 at 11:48 AM

Where is the DOJ investigation about the violation of this black conservative’s rights?

Chicago style politics has come to St. Louis. Next they will have the dead voters they trot out every election attacking taxpayers at meetings.

flyoverland on August 7, 2009 at 11:48 AM

St Louis calling here. Went to the Tea Party on the 15th, wish I’d been at Carnahan’s Follies last night. Where do I go to get info on the St Louis Resistance?

quikstrike98 on August 7, 2009 at 11:49 AM

Great pics!

becki51758 on August 7, 2009 at 11:51 AM

Tom Harkin was on WHO Radio this morning talking about his
up coming town hall meeting. I hope he gets plenty or AARP
types there to set him straight. I doubt if he has read the bill. He is the kind of Senator that tell Iowans one thing
and votes differently. Governor Chet Culver polls numbers
are heading toward Bush levels….

iowagal on August 7, 2009 at 11:54 AM

Now, I don’t know all of the facts because I wasn’t there, but that black conservative who was attacked by the SEIU members, acted stupidly

76United on August 7, 2009 at 11:55 AM

Methaphor

You know the commercial with the gecko and big wig of Geico and the big wig is asking the gecko to “trust him” as he falls backwards and the gecko is to catch him? That’s how I feel with all the government actions that are being forced upon us. Just like the gecko, there is no way we can ‘catch it’ and be safe and secure. A big old splat!

lyfsatrip on August 7, 2009 at 11:56 AM

This is an extremely dangerous situation. The government is having cititzens report on citizens, the secret police are being told to hit back twice as hard, they are attempting to shut up all voices of dissent, patriots are being maligned and investigated, trillions of untraceable dollars are going to presidential supporters for the census, voting, and paying off blue districts, google chrome is keeping track of your key strokes, ambassadors have paid for their jobs, radom accusations like “they are carrying swastikas” are being voiced at the highest levels of government, public meetings are no longer public. Next: fake patriots will pretend to act insane for the media to use as an example and those representatives not on board will have their families threatened.

So much for protecting the world from incremental communism. Its here, its strong, its wealthy, and it was voted in on Nov 2.

Haunches on August 7, 2009 at 11:58 AM

The basic question on my mind, and fear is that even though this is amazing to those voting “leaders” who support ObamaCare, will it make a difference in their vote?

I mean… people are pissed. I’m pissed. But, from what I can see happening, those voting “leaders” are going to say, “Damn the torpedoes, full steam ahead!” and pass it anyway.

CynicalOptimist on August 7, 2009 at 11:58 AM

Thanks for the coverage.

The Race Card on August 7, 2009 at 12:03 PM

CynicalOptimist The answer is never, EVER give up!!

lyfsatrip on August 7, 2009 at 12:08 PM

Last week I thought the Waterloo comparisons were a bit overdone, but I didn’t see this “astroturfing” miscalculation coming.

The Democrats are destroying themselves right before our eyes.

forest on August 7, 2009 at 12:11 PM

Thanks for the updates!

That is big news!

INC on August 7, 2009 at 12:12 PM

I hope all of this is fresh in everyones mind
during the next election cycle.

elderberry on August 7, 2009 at 12:15 PM

CynicalOptimist on August 7, 2009 at 11:58 AM

If the government ignores us we do have a couple things that we can do before anyone has to resort to a melee confronting the thugs of the government leftists.

If this healthcrap passes, every single person in this country that disagrees with the marxist move needs to withdraw 100% of their funds from every bank account they have. This will absolutely kill the governments plans on confiscating the accounts, or portions of them, under the guise of paying for this anti American legislation.

I fully intend to withdraw everything I have should it look like this is going to pass.

Beyond that, there is the next step of staging a general strike across the country. Of course the libtard socialists won’t take part, but it really would only take 5% to 10% of the workforce participating in a general strike to bring things to a head.

Spiritk9 on August 7, 2009 at 12:18 PM

Sounds like it was a hate crime!?

but we know conservative minorities are not counted.
no I am not white i am an Alaskan Indian

lwssdd on August 7, 2009 at 12:26 PM

Why isn’t the media asking Obama what he thought of the black conservative being beaten and of trhe arrest of 3 of the 4 people involved, with at least 1 being a SEIU member.

What was Obamas view of the arrest?

Will the people arrested have a HATE CRIMES multiplier added to their charges since they yelled racial slurs while beating the man.

Jeff from WI on August 7, 2009 at 12:28 PM

iowagal on August 7, 2009 at 11:54 AM

Where and when?

I’m in North-East Nebraska, work in NW Iowa, and would gladly go to one of these town halls.

cntrlfrk on August 7, 2009 at 12:30 PM

All of my fellow Patriots at these townhalls, especially at St. Louis and Tampa yesterday, a big hearty THANK YOU for doing a great job with video and pictures. It is clear, from several sources, what exactly happened at this event.

Great job.

ted c on August 7, 2009 at 12:32 PM

Oh my freaking freaking freaking freaking gosh.

Every day I come here, I say, “Guys, this is getting BAD.” And I can’t imagine it getting worse.

THIS HAPPENED THE DAY OBAMA ADMIN. TOLD THEM TO DO THIS.

Dear God. My mom heard about some of this and just started weeping earlier. She is just stunned.

This woman and union members were STARTING the fight. I know we knew they would do this, but, really seeing it in action is…difficult. These are my countrymen…

Mommypundit on August 7, 2009 at 12:34 PM

So what do we have to do to protect ourselves from union thugs? Carry baseball bats? Or maybe the cops will do their job.

RandyChandler on August 7, 2009 at 12:34 PM

BREAKING: Carnahan staffer admits to causing trouble?

this needs to be in big bold red letters and started as a main thread on HotAir.

ted c on August 7, 2009 at 12:35 PM

Sweet. And its Friday. Its gonna be a good day.

mperek on August 7, 2009 at 12:37 PM

With all the video’s on these thugs that assult citizens, I hope EVERY person who is harmed gets legal help and file charges against them. I have no idea what the attorney can charge them with, but go for all they can.
L

letget on August 7, 2009 at 12:37 PM

RandyChandler on August 7, 2009 at 12:34 PM

The Cops belong to a union, they’ll side with their union “brothers”.

Jeff from WI on August 7, 2009 at 12:40 PM

It will be interesting to watch additional reporting by the St. Louis Post-Dispatch. It is an extremely far left paper that is on its way to the dust bin of history. Much of its content comes from the New York Times and other newspapers. On days when there is something good to report, or a photo op for Obama, it is on the front page. When the news is bad for Obama, a high school football game is on the front page.

Star20 on August 7, 2009 at 12:43 PM

Don’t carry weapons. CARRY CAMERAS. Photos and videos are our best weapons. They cannot deny the truth when it is right there in the video. Be sure you speak into your video and describe everything you are witnessing, so the state-run media cannot distort it. If someone is injured, get a video of them describing their attacker and their injuries.

They are trying to intimidate us and frighten us. DON’T LET THEM.

rockmom on August 7, 2009 at 12:46 PM

Call, e-mail, write Mark Levin

Contact http://www.landmarklegal.org/

contact@landmarklegal.org

Black Conservative’s Attorney Sends Out Letter After Brutal Attack At Carnahan Town Hall Meeting

Carnahan staffer admits to causing trouble?

izoneguy on August 7, 2009 at 12:47 PM

The Cops belong to a union, they’ll side with their union “brothers”.

Jeff from WI on August 7, 2009 at 12:40 PM

And if they don’t, Gibbels will just proclaim that “a” police union somewhere endorsed John McCain.

rockmom on August 7, 2009 at 12:47 PM

Spiritk9 on August 7, 2009 at 12:18 PM

Suppose it passes… God forbid… then those “supports” know that they out in 2010.

I was listening to Hewitt…yesterday ( I think) and he was asked if it passes there’s no going back. It’s a done deal.

CynicalOptimist on August 7, 2009 at 12:49 PM

Great piece Mr. Ishmael! I’m a St. Louisan on the front lines.

daesleeper on August 7, 2009 at 12:49 PM

ted c on August 7, 2009 at 12:35 PM

With this many Greenroom comments, you would figure it’d be HUGE if the frontpaged it.

Abby Adams on August 7, 2009 at 12:52 PM

RandyChandler on August 7, 2009 at 12:34 PM

Two things: 1)No weapons, that makes us the bad guys. But teamwork is good, when something like that breaks out, if the thugs suddenly find themselves onder a pile of citizens restraining them while they wait for the police, their fellow travelers will hesitate to get themselves in the same situation.
2) pay attention to everything that happens, volunteer to be a witness, and cameras, cameras and more cameras. If it’s we said/they said, we can lose. If it’s on tape from six different angles, there is no question as to what happened.

iurockhead on August 7, 2009 at 12:56 PM

Is anybody really, really, surprised? I mean, look at the cabinet, look at the czars, look at his friends and mentors. To Obama worshippers…… we told you so. How do you like your hopenchange? I expect this will do a lot for union dissolution. Hope so…..

ultracon on August 7, 2009 at 1:08 PM

Rockmom,

I always carry a weapon. I would never use it in these circumstances, but I have a life outside going to a political meetings.

On another issue, I am stunned at the lack of intelligence of these political animals. Why not rent a large forum for 2000 people and just Listen? Make yourself a hero, even if you don’t agree with the protesters you relieve psychological pressure. What is the deal with these people?

GunRunner on August 7, 2009 at 1:08 PM

Why are people like Carnahan purposefully destroying any hope of re-election? It almost makes you wonder if they have received some kind of assurances or guaranties that they don’t have anything to worry about on that front.

mbs on August 7, 2009 at 1:10 PM

His name is now Back Door Carnahan. He’s scurried out the back door of the last two events he’s had here in St. Louis. I’ve been locked out of both of them: the first one at McMahon Ford where B.D. Carnahan was congratulating himself for the crappy cars program; and second last night, where he gave 50% of the seats to SEIU thugs.

Back Door, you WILL be out of a job in 2010. You worthless coward.

labwriter on August 7, 2009 at 1:11 PM

GunRunner on August 7, 2009 at 1:08 PM

I hate to say this, but to give credit where credit is due, this is what Claire McCaskill’s staff did here in St. Louis a couple of weeks ago. Claire didn’t attend, but the staff member stood and listened to about 40 anti-ObamaCare people ask their questions and speak their peace. It was a good strategy.

However, Claire is still Obama’s poodle.

labwriter on August 7, 2009 at 1:16 PM

peace, piece. Whatever.

labwriter on August 7, 2009 at 1:17 PM

However, Claire is still Obama’s poodle.

labwriter on August 7, 2009 at 1:16 PM

get video of it out there! People need to understand this about getting voices heard and that protest can be strong, but controlled.

Fighton03 on August 7, 2009 at 1:18 PM