Green Room

Obama stumped by dumb Americans opposing ObamaCare

posted at 10:21 am on July 31, 2009 by

President Obama suggests the bitter clingers in middle America are so dense that even the greatest orator in world history cannot educate them:

“I don’t spend a lot of time looking at my polls. I do look at the polling on health care, partly because I think that there is a terrific case to be made to the American public. But it is — this is complicated, it’s difficult,” the president said. “And I will say that this has been the most difficult test for me so far in public life, trying to describe in clear, simple terms how important it is that we reform this system. The case is so clear to me.”

The establishment media has already started blaming the American people, so it is not a shock that The Politico is now pushing this line from Capitol Hill:

Olympia Snowe, it seems safe to assume, is following the health care debate a bit more closely than the average American.

So it is saying something that the Maine senator — a key figure in health care negotiations — admits she is stumped by the task of crafting a simple explanation for legislation of mind-numbing complexity.

“If anybody can give me an easy, 30-second solution to this multitrillion-dollar problem, be my guest,” said Snowe, a moderate Republican.

A Democratic lawmaker, Rep. Collin Peterson of Minnesota, agrees. “The members don’t even understand what’s in it,” he confessed of the legislation. As for his constituents? They are “not exactly sure what this is about, and they’re not really sure whether they like it or not.”

Of course, it is hard for members of Congress to understand a bill they will not read. And it would be nice if Pres. Obama bothered to read it.

Complexity is an inherent problem with attempting comprehensive reform, so it is difficult to muster much sympathy for the politicians whining about it now. It is much easier to be glad that Pres. Obama has not tried the incremental approach, which is more difficult to fight.

Moreover, Pres. Obama’s rhetoric is part of his problem. For example, he complains about doctors and hospitals performing unnecessary medical tests, while claiming that we can save substantial money by promoting preventive care and refusing to tag his trial lawyer pals as part of the problem of defensive medicine. On a larger scale, Pres. Obama tries to assure everyone that he is not proposing a European or Japanese-style healthcare system, even as he claims that these countries do a better job than the US. And he is selling healthcare reform as a cost-containment measure when unbiased estimates show the opposite — not to mention that states like Tennessee, Maine and Massachusetts have all failed with similar schemes.

In short, it is no wonder Pres. Obama is having trouble selling his healthcare reforms. Not only is it a complex issue, but Pres. Obama insists on talking out of both sides of his mouth about the issue. It is not surprising that voters suspect this is because they would not want what is being sold if he was being honest.

Recently in the Green Room:

Comments

This post has been promoted to HotAir.com.

Comments have been closed on this post but the discussion continues here.

Allahpundit on July 31, 2009 at 11:57 AM

Top Pick

These kiosks don’t make $15 per hour or need benefits

Top Pick

Going for the record

“We will answer them on the field”

Taking it to the limit

Sunday morning talking heads

Jazz Shaw Jun 25, 2017 8:01 AM

Health care and tweeting and Russia, oh my!

Will they stay or will they go?

I can’t imagine what I was thinking when I said that

Rocking the boat majorly

Big government never contracts. It only grows more powerful

It’s only a “ban” until it becomes inconvenient

The decline and fall of Obamacare and the AHCA

Jazz Shaw Jun 24, 2017 8:31 AM

This was all over before it began

Fixing crime in America is a complicated issue

Taylor Millard Jun 23, 2017 8:31 PM

Cops alone won’t solve it.

Democrats forgot all about the “era of good feelings”

“Bernie and Jane Sanders have lawyered up.”

Winning isn’t everything. It is the only thing

Trump signs VA reform bill into law

John Sexton Jun 23, 2017 2:41 PM

A new era of something.

“…died suddenly in less than a week just after his return to the U.S.”

The shortsightedness of “Denounce and Preserve”

Taylor Millard Jun 23, 2017 12:11 PM

Pragmatism for the sake of pragmatism doesn’t always work.

Perhaps if you threw in a new car?

Gay marriages still growing, but not as fast

Andrew Malcolm Jun 23, 2017 10:31 AM

More, but not as quickly.

Should’ve stuck with the pirate gig. It was working for him

The battle for the rubble of Raqqa is underway

Andrew Malcolm Jun 23, 2017 8:51 AM

Won’t be much left.

Your list of demands is a publicity stunt

“The jobs are still leaving. Nothing has stopped.”

Bad vendor. Bad! No cookie!

“So you want me to sing my praises, is that what you’re saying?”

Why would we possibly want that?

“I mean he sold our country to The Russians.”

I could think of someone else you might want to ask about…

Trump: I never made any recordings of Comey