Green Room

Because when these cars are gone, …um, we’ll sell you some more!

posted at 5:43 pm on July 31, 2009 by

I’m surprised the Senate isn’t rushing back to session to make sure they are on the weekend news programs, after the House has replenished the CARS program.

he House voted Friday to transfer $2 billion in emergency funding from the economic stimulus plan to the “cash for clunkers” program, but the extension faces a tougher path in the Senate.

The House moved rapidly to pass the measure after learning Thursday that the initial $1 billion allocated to the clunkers program may have been close to exhausted after just one week. The new legislation would shift $2 billion from the $787 billion stimulus plan to the program.

Everyone seems to be in a hurry to reload the government cheese tray even though so far the government has only processed about a fourth of the $1 billion initially allocated. The dealers are screaming about not getting paid and government blinked and rolled out some more “clunkfare”, as James Taranto called it. The government that couldn’t stimulate fast enough, he observes, suddenly is spending money too fast. And they seem to like it.
Henry Payne observes that only nine of twenty models made by Chrysler will qualify for CARS. By quickly acting to triple the size of this program, the government assures that many cars that would have been useful to young people who need good, cheap transportation will not have cars available to them. Immigrant families that would like a larger car for their children to ride with them will not be able to get them. In their haste to get people to spend at a time when many are feeling the need to save, they’ve only dragged demand for cars forward, as Mike Shedlock notes today. It delays the day of reckoning. How many more ways can government reinflate the bubble?

That’s why, Ed, we’re in a hurry to spend this money.  It was explosively popular because it was first-come, first-served:  It was practically creating a bank-run style stampede on dealerships.  “Act now, because when they’re gone…”  And just like anyone making that promise, it’s just too easy to come back and try to reap more money … and more unfavored larger cars … and remove more affordable cars from the market that poor people can buy from.  Even Robert Gibbs was in the act:

“If you were planning on going to buy a car this weekend using this program, the program continues to run,” he said. “If you meet the requirements of the program, the certificates will be honored.”

I like it better when Jill Wagner says that.

Recently in the Green Room:

Comments

Spreading the wealth, $1 Billion at a time.

I don’t have a vehicle that qualifies.
I don’t need a new ride.
I have no use for the rides that are being sold.

I want my $4,500 share – where can I get it?

ericdijon on July 31, 2009 at 8:56 PM

OMG! I love Jill Wagner. Anyone watching Wipeout?

I bought DVDs of “Blade: The Series” just because of her.

BlameAmericaLast on July 31, 2009 at 9:41 PM

WARNING!!!!

THIS IS NOT A FREE MARKET ENTERPRISE!

I hope the Senate gets a grip on reality here. This is YOUR tax dollars going to YOUR GOVERNMENT MOTORS PROGRAM.

BANKS—-GOVERNMENT OWNED

CAR DEALERS AND THE AUTO INDUSTRY—-GOVT. OWNED

HEALTH CARE AND INSURANCE—-GOVT. OWNED (as soon as the recess is over)

WHAT’S NEXT FOLKS?????

Rovin on August 1, 2009 at 8:38 AM

Spreading the wealth, $1 Billion at a time.

I don’t have a vehicle that qualifies.
I don’t need a new ride.
I have no use for the rides that are being sold.

I want my $4,500 share – where can I get it?

ericdijon on July 31, 2009 at 8:56 PM

All of these “give away”programs are meant to teach productive, tax paying people that then can get hand outs too.

Jeff from WI on August 3, 2009 at 6:49 AM

Top Pick

Big government never contracts. It only grows more powerful

Top Pick

It’s only a “ban” until it becomes inconvenient

The decline and fall of Obamacare and the AHCA

Jazz Shaw Jun 24, 2017 8:31 AM

This was all over before it began

Fixing crime in America is a complicated issue

Taylor Millard Jun 23, 2017 8:31 PM

Cops alone won’t solve it.

Democrats forgot all about the “era of good feelings”

“Bernie and Jane Sanders have lawyered up.”

Winning isn’t everything. It is the only thing

Trump signs VA reform bill into law

John Sexton Jun 23, 2017 2:41 PM

A new era of something.

“…died suddenly in less than a week just after his return to the U.S.”

The shortsightedness of “Denounce and Preserve”

Taylor Millard Jun 23, 2017 12:11 PM

Pragmatism for the sake of pragmatism doesn’t always work.

Perhaps if you threw in a new car?

Gay marriages still growing, but not as fast

Andrew Malcolm Jun 23, 2017 10:31 AM

More, but not as quickly.

Should’ve stuck with the pirate gig. It was working for him

The battle for the rubble of Raqqa is underway

Andrew Malcolm Jun 23, 2017 8:51 AM

Won’t be much left.

Your list of demands is a publicity stunt

“The jobs are still leaving. Nothing has stopped.”

Bad vendor. Bad! No cookie!

“So you want me to sing my praises, is that what you’re saying?”

Why would we possibly want that?

“I mean he sold our country to The Russians.”

I could think of someone else you might want to ask about…

Trump: I never made any recordings of Comey

Allahpundit Jun 22, 2017 2:01 PM

Bluff.

Hackers stole private data from election databases

John Sexton Jun 22, 2017 1:21 PM

Failure to protect the city

Big man on the Middle Eastern campus

Biased Americans see media as biased.

Tough times down on the liberal ranch

Will Nancy Pelosi survive this latest Dem disaster?

Andrew Malcolm Jun 22, 2017 8:41 AM

Eat quick, before it’s gone.