Green Room

Your Health Insurance, But Not Your Choice

posted at 7:53 pm on July 12, 2009 by

Melissa Clouther, who knows a thing or three about health care, has some sage words of advice:

There is one thing you should know, yea two things that should make your decision: One, we simply cannot afford government-run health care. Period. That idea should be the foundation of any plan you see. If a plan involves the government disbursing even one penny, know it is a plan that is unworkable because the Fed already lacks funds. Two, doctors and patients already hate government-run health care. Think VA, Medicaid and Medicare. They are in debt. The care sucks. Patients wait for doctors, if they can find one. Necessary care is not covered. Doctors get paid jack and are about to get paid less if Congress and the Prez have their way, which will result in more doctors quitting as providers causing more misery for patients.

I ran into a gang of government health care aficionados on Twitter last night, and I asked them two questions. The first was, “Do you think you have enough control over your own health care?”. The second was like unto the first, “Do you think that the government will truly give you more control over your health care?”

The truth of the matter is that we have surprisingly little choice over what health care we get and when. Most people, I dare say up over 90 percent, have no idea what a routine doctor’s visit actually costs or what their policy really costs. We get the care we are allowed to have by their doctor and health insurance company (or, worse, by the government).

More importantly, the policies our government have put into place ensure that your health insurance company doesn’t see you as a customer but as an expense.
This article on employer-provided insurance is a good place to start, so at least skim it before you go on.

After you’ve gone over that article, ask yourself if you bought you health insurance plan. If you have insurance through your employer, the answer will be no. You didn’t buy your plan and you have little to no power to influence the price of your plan of what it does and does not cover. Until that changes, health care will continue to be expensive, no matter how much the government controls. The truth of the matter is that, thanks to government intrusion, we have little choice or control over our own health care and Barack Obama isn’t going to make that any better, no matter what he says. Only when the government gets itself out of the health insurance business will you get back the power you need to bring costs down and get better quality care. Nothing else is going to do it.

(Cross-posted at The Sundries Shack)

Recently in the Green Room:

Comments

That is the ONLY answer to fixing healthcare. Allowing people to purchase plans that suit them and their families, not based on what employers say or God forbid the communists in our government.

red131 on July 13, 2009 at 8:56 AM

It’s “Clouthier”, btw

needtoknow on July 13, 2009 at 9:46 AM

This is the thing about the rush to Obamacare that gets me. Do most people understand how the current govt plans suck? Have they ever tried to fid a doctor who accepts Medicaid/Medicare?

katiejane on July 13, 2009 at 11:34 AM

Government is to health care like Fannie Mae is to home ownership. Whoops – how’d that work out?

ericdijon on July 13, 2009 at 8:14 PM

I’m a little sick of folks whining about their having to take care of themselves. “Oh I had to come out of retirement so I could get health insurance” and “Oh I took this low paying job so I could have health insurance.” For one thing nobody promised anybody a bed of roses for their lives. Second of all why in the world don’t people include what their employer pays for their insurance as part of their wage?

I also take some issue with the statement that we get little choice over the healtcare we get. There are a variety of street plans available to folks if they take resposibility to actually look. I have a rare genetic blood disease and am very active in how I am cared for. Because of this I went through more than one doctor before I was satisfied with the one I now have. Oh by the way, the insurance I have is provided to me through my wife’s employer. We pay about $450 per month out of our pockets for the family and the employer pays the rest. The total premium apporaches $1300 a month. My insurance has not only done a superb job of making sure I get the treatment I need my case worker even periodicly contacts me to see how things are. Now, I understand that not everyone gets that good of a deal. That’s just how life is. I used to have a street plan and had to have major surgery under it. It cost me a bundle out of pocket. I have noticed that some of the folks I have run into that complain their insurance is not good or they simply can’t afford it are living a lifestyle they can’t seem to afford either. A nice big house, new vehicles, atv’s for the kids. Certainly a significant portion of our population have acutallly chosen not to have insurance. Whether they be a young single man who thinks he won’t ever need it and would rather spend the money on an expesive television, or a family who spoils the kids instead of properly providing protection.

I guess what I should have done is summed it up this way, Americans need to grow up. For far too long we have spoiled our children and they expect everything to be handed to them. Now, a harsh reality is hitting them and they think their healthcare should be handed to them and they shouldn’t pay for it.

Oh one other thing, LEAVE MY HEALTHCARE ALONE!

boomer on July 13, 2009 at 10:39 PM

Top Pick

Excuses, excuses.

Top Pick

Not really a “kill all the lawyers” scenario

4 pm ET!

“it has not taken serious steps to end its own complicity in trafficking, including forced laborers from North Korea.”

Currently doing a search for “good international trade lawyers”

Ransomware attack spreads through Europe

John Sexton Jun 27, 2017 1:01 PM

“A massive ransomware campaign is currently unfolding worldwide.”

At least their address rarely changes

It just keeps on happening

“Trump is good for business right now.”

Start spreading the news…

“Now it’s time for the next step.”

A “cryptic” warning to Bashar al-Assad?

Jazz Shaw Jun 27, 2017 8:01 AM

The three strikes rule may be in effect

CNN reporters resign over retracted story

John Sexton Jun 26, 2017 9:21 PM

“The individuals all stated that they accepted responsibility and wanted to resign.”

Federalism’s greatest champion is now …

Ed Morrissey Jun 26, 2017 8:41 PM

“In the end, we’re a democracy.”

“Almost all controversial speech harms people, upsets or offends them…”

Obama: Back home again in Indonesia

Andrew Malcolm Jun 26, 2017 7:21 PM

The call to prayer and eating dog.

Testing the waters.

“primarily because the penalty for not having insurance would be eliminated.”

“If I were a Seattle lawmaker, I would be thinking hard about the $15 an hour phase-in.”

Days of future past

“Not only are taxpayers footing the bill, but people are dying unnecessarily because of this.”

Israel settles who can stand where at the Western Wall

Andrew Malcolm Jun 26, 2017 3:21 PM

Women to the right, men to the left.

Look on the bright side. There’s less snow in the summer

Big win … but for how long?

“Several Russian cities have unveiled monuments to Stalin in recent months.”

Massive disappointment

Emboldened conservative wing?

It’s more about the powers of the Presidency at this point

A second look at paper ballots?

Jazz Shaw Jun 26, 2017 10:41 AM

Low tech solutions to high tech crime

No extra beatings required, thanks

A “”massive, massive f*** up…”

This is totally amazing!

McConnell may not get his wish on health care vote

Taylor Millard Jun 25, 2017 7:31 PM

Senate leadership wants a vote this week, others say, “Negative, Ghost Rider.”

Helping others without the government.

“…the reality is the reality.”