Green Room

Scenes From the Richard Brookhiser Book Party

posted at 11:28 pm on July 8, 2009 by

“Are you sure you’re supposed to be here?” Jamie Kirchick of the New Republic said to me Wednesday evening. “Your populist street cred . . .”

“Yeah. I know. Blown to hell,” I answered, nodding sadly. We were on the well-manicured lawn of the Washington home of David Frum, who hosted a book-signing party for Richard Brookhiser, author of Right Time, Right Place: Coming of Age with William F. Buckley Jr. and the Conservative Movement.

Frum’s home on Foxhall Road is at least a mile north of Georgetown, so technically I am not guilty of partaking of the notorious “Georgetown Cocktail Party Circuit,” but . . . OK, I’m a total phony sell-out, I admit, but I am not alone.

Also on hand for the party were Laura Ingraham and Mark Krikorian, who are pretty hard-core. And both Nick Gillespie and Michael Moynihan of Reason magazine showed up, so the libertarians were represented, as well. Diana West of the Washington Examiner was there, talking about Geert Wilders and Leon de Winter. Other distinguished guests included Quin Hillyer and  Eli Lake of the Washington Times, James Rosen of Fox News and the New Republic‘s Jeffrey Rosen (“The Case Against Sotomayor”), James Bowman of the American Spectator, Stuart Taylor of National Journal.

Richard Brookhiser (left) listens as he is introduced by David Frum, whose wife Danielle Crittenden is in the green dress.

Mark Krikorian and Nick Gillespie, who made a rare appearance sans trademark leather jacket.

Eli Lake talks to Laura Ingraham while, in the background, Michael Moynihan talks to Jamie Kirchick.

Danielle Crittenden, Laura Ingraham and a wonderful lady whose name I forgot to write down, but who complimented me on my navy blazer.

It was a big-tent kind of event. So go ahead and denounce me as a faux-populist hypocrite.

Recently in the Green Room:

Comments

Allahpundit is jealous. He wants to hang out with David Frum too.

Mark1971 on July 8, 2009 at 11:55 PM

I must ask, did you run into Coddington Van Vorhees III, and what was the old boy sporting for the ladies?

Was he showing off the 300 year old whale bone sextant handed down through the generations, to steer the Conservative ship through this storm of provincial rebellion?

Do tell, my lad, do tell.

Brian1972 on July 9, 2009 at 7:34 AM

Why am I hearing AC/DC Big Balls in my head after reading this?

Brian1972 on July 9, 2009 at 7:35 AM

Why am I hearing AC/DC Big Balls in my head after reading this?

Brian1972 on July 9, 2009 at 7:35 AM

No idea why you would think that, particularly after seeing a picture of David Frum.

thirteen28 on July 9, 2009 at 11:41 AM

thirteen28 on July 9, 2009 at 11:41 AM

Uh..It’s a dirty parody of high society.
Frum and balls don’t go together at all.

Brian1972 on July 9, 2009 at 1:03 PM

Tell David Frum’s wife to eat something. Ugh.

Percy_Peabody on July 10, 2009 at 7:24 AM

Top Pick

Rocking the boat majorly

Top Pick

Big government never contracts. It only grows more powerful

It’s only a “ban” until it becomes inconvenient

The decline and fall of Obamacare and the AHCA

Jazz Shaw Jun 24, 2017 8:31 AM

This was all over before it began

Fixing crime in America is a complicated issue

Taylor Millard Jun 23, 2017 8:31 PM

Cops alone won’t solve it.

Democrats forgot all about the “era of good feelings”

“Bernie and Jane Sanders have lawyered up.”

Winning isn’t everything. It is the only thing

Trump signs VA reform bill into law

John Sexton Jun 23, 2017 2:41 PM

A new era of something.

“…died suddenly in less than a week just after his return to the U.S.”

The shortsightedness of “Denounce and Preserve”

Taylor Millard Jun 23, 2017 12:11 PM

Pragmatism for the sake of pragmatism doesn’t always work.

Perhaps if you threw in a new car?

Gay marriages still growing, but not as fast

Andrew Malcolm Jun 23, 2017 10:31 AM

More, but not as quickly.

Should’ve stuck with the pirate gig. It was working for him

The battle for the rubble of Raqqa is underway

Andrew Malcolm Jun 23, 2017 8:51 AM

Won’t be much left.

Your list of demands is a publicity stunt

“The jobs are still leaving. Nothing has stopped.”

Bad vendor. Bad! No cookie!

“So you want me to sing my praises, is that what you’re saying?”

Why would we possibly want that?

“I mean he sold our country to The Russians.”

I could think of someone else you might want to ask about…

Trump: I never made any recordings of Comey

Allahpundit Jun 22, 2017 2:01 PM

Bluff.

Hackers stole private data from election databases

John Sexton Jun 22, 2017 1:21 PM

Failure to protect the city

Big man on the Middle Eastern campus

Biased Americans see media as biased.

Tough times down on the liberal ranch