Green Room

Amber Alert for Hillary Clinton

posted at 9:02 am on July 6, 2009 by

Week-by-week, world event-by-world event, the public humiliation of Hillary Clinton is taking place right before our eyes. Actually, not before our eyes. Hillary has gone missing.
There was a time when United States Secretaries of State were front and center in foreign policy making and implementation. Our first Secretary of State was Thomas Jefferson, and other historical luminaries included John Quincy Adams, Daniel Webster, William Jennings Bryant, and George C. Marshall. In more modern times, names such as Henry Kissinger, Cyrus Vance, James Baker, Madeleine Albright, Colin Powell, and Condolezza Rice loom large in our psyche and history.

Secretary of State Hillary Clinton? Who? Possibly the most marginalized Secretary of State in modern times.

Barack Obama has not permitted Hillary to participate in a central manner in any of the major diplomatic events, including the upcoming Moscow summit from which Hillary will be notably absent. Obama doesn’t act alone in foreign affairs, but he certainly doesn’t act through Hillary.

If the federal government were, say, the City of Chicago, Hillary’s status would rate about as high as the Director of the Department of Tourism. Sometimes seen, occasionally heard, but almost never consulted. Sure, Hillary is nice enough, but, being nice enough only gets you so far.

It didn’t always appear that it would turn out this way. When Hillary was appointed, with great fanfare, it seemed that she would take a leading role. But the fox was out-foxed.

The treatment of Hillary Clinton by Obama to date amounts to a slow drain of Hillary’s political persona. The fearsome tiger now is a pussycat. She missed the Iran crisis because of a broken elbow. Now admittedly, I’ve never broken my elbow, so maybe I am misinformed. But there doesn’t appear to be a reason why Hillary couldn’t have talked on the phone with foreign ministers, and done all the other things a Secretary of State does.

If Hillary’s loss in the primaries was a body blow, being Secretary of State is like being bled by leeches. Hillary seems to know her political persona is being bled dry, but she feels no physical pain.

And Hillary clearly is not having fun. Has anyone seen Hillary laugh in the last five months? Oh, how I long for that cackle. Hillary can’t even bring herself to fake it anymore.

Want a good measure of how bad it is for Hillary? Click on the screen shot (above right) from a Google News search for “Hillary Clinton” taken on July 5, 2009, covering the prior month. Nothing of substance, although I did learn that Chelsea is getting married (Congrats! That should keep Mom busy) and Bill is appearing at a fundraiser.

Sarah Palin gets more hits than Hillary even though the search was for “Hillary Clinton.”

I wonder how the Hillary supporters at PUMA and the folks at Hillary’s Village feel, watching Hillary wither on Obama’s vine.

Cross-posted with updates at Legal Insurrection Blog

Recently in the Green Room:

Comments

She sold her “soul” to get her campaign debt paid.

erp on July 6, 2009 at 9:36 AM

If she really wants to run again, she should resign now on philosophical differences with Obama and start building on that foundation.

It probably won’t happen, though. She’s a student of Saul Alinsky, so she’s not that different from Obama.

Daggett on July 6, 2009 at 9:45 AM

She won’t go down or away that easy.
Looking forward to the show!

bridgetown on July 6, 2009 at 9:50 AM

bridgetown on July 6, 2009 at 9:50 AM

I fail to see how she can cause a show.

She has no real power – all the “hot spots” have “special ambassadors” who jump right around her to Obama – State is gettnig bypassed by Obama as he blows up the “special relationship” with Britain and pisses on the Frenchies – she’s left with the bureaucrats who handle issuing passports and visas ….

What’s she going to do, disagree with Obama on something in public on-the-record? I can see this if Bill sees it as necessary to his image, but .. without “the” Clinton telling Hillary what to do – she’s got a tin ear – she jumps the wrong way – which, conveniently for her, is the same way Obama jumps.

I’d love to see some blue-on-blue *cabinet level* fireworks, but .. I think Hillary’s just proving that she’s a dud.

Mew

acat on July 6, 2009 at 10:00 AM

Don’t miss her at all. She and Obewon are cut from the same cloth, his is just a deeper more ruthless red.

Kissmygrits on July 6, 2009 at 10:19 AM

Great irony, Hillary her fellow travelling college Alinskyites were driven to derangement by Henry Kissinger back in the day.

Well, now one of the Alinskyites own has taken over Kissenger’s old job.

Hey big mouth, not as easy as it looks, is it?

It gives me great pleasure to watch Hillary end her pathetic career this way.

Baby boom hippy losers, suck it up. You failed.

jeff_from_mpls on July 6, 2009 at 11:04 AM

It is amazing to me that the “world’s smartest woman” has been bamboozled by Chigago’s most successful street thug. The real question to ask is precisely where and from what unconfirmed “adivisors” is the criminal in the White House getting direction with regard to foreign affairs. What is the agenda of Obama’s shadow government and does it any way match up with the national interests?

highhopes on July 6, 2009 at 11:07 AM

I saw enough of her mug during the long 2008 presidential campaign to last me forever. I hope she just fades away into the sunset and takes her horndog hubby along with her into everlasting irrelevance.

TeeDee on July 6, 2009 at 11:09 AM

Obama certainly knows how to marginalize his competition. I guess that is the Chicago way.

Doing this kind of thing to the squishy Republicans probably doesn’t bring consequences…. however, The Clinton’s are powerful people who can stir a large base. I hope Obama is in over his head and the Clinton’s are just biding their time.

That is one war I would buy popcorn to watch… Odd I would find myself rooting for Clinton.

petunia on July 6, 2009 at 11:20 AM

Having broken my right elbow (twice), I can verify that the only difficult thing to do is wipe your a**.

Short of that trenchant analysis above, I have nothing other than to assume, as does LI, that she is being marginalized by an arrogant, petty tyrant who must be recognized for all successes, and absolved of all failures. Rest assured that when the Big One arrives and some internecine affair blows up into a major international conflict, Hillary will suddenly be available to take the fall.

Flyover Country on July 6, 2009 at 11:44 AM

highhopes on July 6, 2009 at 11:07 AM
—–
Doubly surprising, given Hillary’s Illinois roots…

Mew

acat on July 6, 2009 at 12:02 PM

It gives me great pleasure to watch Hillary end her pathetic career this way.

jeff_from_mpls on July 6, 2009 at 11:04 AM

—-
Not completely convinced.

Right now, Obama still has forward momentum, although barely. If Hillary is as shrewd as her supporters claim, she’s watching for him to take a serious stumble, and will then be available to knife him in the back. That’s more the Clinton way than a direct face-to-face confrontation.

Mew

acat on July 6, 2009 at 12:06 PM

Ha1 I predicted the fallout of the Obama/Clinton relationship right here on HA from the very beginning. He threw her a bone, and a very meaty bone, to be sure. But he knew from the beginning that he would undermine her position (because we can’t have a powerful Clintion in office) and when some international crisis occurs, Obama has a ready made scapegoat. So not only has he removed Hillort from leadership in the Senate, he removed her from leadership in the DNC. It probably won’t change the mind of too many Hillary suppoters, but it may chage the opionions of a good number of Democrat Obamaites. It will fascinating to watch this develop.

gobblemom on July 6, 2009 at 9:01 PM

Hill fan here, I want her to step down. But Sarah beat her to it. now Sarah is free to prowl the lower 48 for the GOP , and TOTUS has Hill tied down at State. But at least Hill is getting leaks out that she she objected to TOTUS’ handling of Iran and Honduras, of course that and a token will get you on a bus…age?

With all the heat Sarah took for stepping down I dont think hill will do that now,l we all know she is no quitter, look how she stuck with Big Dawg…and the Dems after they repeatedly threw her and Bill unda da bus…

I am glad she was out of the Senate or she would have been trapped into voting for spendulus and all this crap coming down the uber left pike…

The people at State love her, seriously love her. But how can she parlay that to her advantage? I dunno, I miss my Clintons, I really do, I miss GWB now too, I even miss Reagan, I was too young to know any better and as a kid thought he was bad and Carter was nice. hello!!

Now I dont know what to do but support the clear thinkers of both sides, like Sarah and Hill.

I want my moderate Democrats back! DLC all the way. HoDe made the DNC a fasciomarxist Chicago op and TOTUS moved it there physically…

Now I donate to anyone who can get us back on track….I like Marsha Blackburn and Michelle Bachmann and Eric Cantor and that doctor I keep seeing on FOX, montana? an Italian name I think? I really like Thad McCotter too…

ginaswo on July 7, 2009 at 3:49 PM

PS Hillary;s paper on Alinsky was an anti Alinsky perspective, she thought he model was a failure, irnoic since TOTUS used it to whack away at her, but anyway just sayin;

an fer shure Hilalry loves America, I read Living History and she really loves the country, TOTUS hmmm dont think so…

ginaswo on July 7, 2009 at 3:51 PM