Green Room

The Palin Shocker?

posted at 9:04 pm on July 3, 2009 by

Yes, it was a shocker. I figured she wasn’t going to run for re-election, but the news of her resignation came as a complete surprise. My gut reaction? She’s tired of politics, and is out of the game for good. Even if that’s not her intention, I agree with Ed M. that it’s the ultimate effect of her speech today.

To be honest, though, if she is leaving for good I can’t blame her. After she was named as the vice presidential nominee, the press and the left savaged her and her family. Their behavior was abhorrent, and no doubt left its mark. Recently, Democrats have gone after her daughter and her infant son, and I think that’s what broke the proverbial camel’s back. I can take a lot of abuse, but if someone started insulting my daughters because they disagreed with me politically, my sense of protectiveness for my kids would lead me to make the same decision. I don’t know what Palin is thinking, but it seems to me that she doesn’t want to sacrifice her children’s chance for a normal life on the altar of her own ambition, and that is ultimately an admirable decision.

Or, to put it in starker terms, David Letterman should be ashamed of himself. If I had to guess, I would say it was his “jokes” about her daughter that helped start Palin down the road to today’s decision.

If she did this because she wants to run for president, though, the view gets murkier. As Ace said today, “you can’t resign from a governorship and then run for higher office.” One cannot jump out of a frying pan to prepare to run for an office that is mostly fire. I personally don’t believe that’s what Palin is doing, however, and her departure really is a loss for the GOP, which has few truly magnetic personalities.

I went to see Palin when she came to Bangor during the campaign. I’ve seen a few politicians give speeches and the only person I can compare Palin to was Bill Clinton. She was magnetic. Part of it is the fact that she really is stunning in person, but also extremely charismatic – she had the crowd eating out of her hand by the end. It was something to see, and so far, I have yet to get a similar vibe from anyone else who aspires to the GOP nomination for the presidency.

But if our loss is her family’s gain…good for her.

Recently in the Green Room:

Comments

I agree, I don’t think she did this to run in 2012. She can use her talents in other ways to help conservatives. The attacks on her children are the most disgusting thing I’ve ever seen being the political junkie I am. Attacking her is politics (although it was unreal how awful they were to her)but attacking her family is something entirely different and horrible. I wish her the best. I will miss her.

hmfearny on July 3, 2009 at 9:16 PM

She did it so she could run. It’s on.

BetseyRoss on July 3, 2009 at 10:21 PM

then the liberals win, and nothing bad happens to them. no surprise but damn that stings

Defector01 on July 3, 2009 at 10:25 PM

Depending on what she does between now and 2012. She can come back to politics. She could do a lot of non-political things to put herself back in the spotlight. I don’t blame her one bit for protecting her kids though, although that may not be what she’s doing. Either way, she has class and the spirit of God to guide her. The spirit of God in her heart is what Palin haters have the most problems with anyway.

GoodBoy on July 3, 2009 at 10:26 PM

The GOP could’ve done more to defend her while she was being savaged. They deserve to live in the wilderness, lousy feckless turds.

ddrintn on July 3, 2009 at 10:34 PM

Hmmm.

It really depends on what she does next, doesn’t it?

I’d absolutely respect Sarah if this is her sunset. Letterman and the rest of the idiot press have been brutal, and the despicable fools running McCains’ campaign have poured on the lemon juice….

However.

Sarah is, far as I can tell, a fighter. This may be more about taking off the gloves or minimizing the collateral damage – private citizen Sarah can say and do things that Governor Sarah just plain can’t. As it stands, she can only devote part of her time to responding to her critics – while doing her day job – but as a private citizen, she could come out swinging…

I’m not sure what to make of the “there’s a scandal..” rumor – I’m hoping it’s Dem wishful thinking…

Mew

acat on July 3, 2009 at 10:48 PM

While I’d tend to agree with this generally, I think the circumstances matter at least a bit. It seems like she was spread very very thin. If she were to write her memoirs to make money and then to able to afford a strong campaign staff of her own, she would be much better able to handle the fire. So far she’s had a tablespoon of water to fight the 50 foot flames of bogus ethics charges, media attacks, McCain’s staffers, etc.

MamaAJ on July 3, 2009 at 10:48 PM

I, like everyone except her and her family have no idea what her plans are. But she did lay out some plans. She said that she would travel to campaign appearances and functions for GOP candidates. She also said that she wasnt “retreating” but “advancing in another direction”. Doesnt sound like its back to the family full time, sounds more like regrouping for a fight. I think that the Palin’s are coming out swinging. I dont think it will be the Senate. RNC has its Chairman, but she would be a IMMEDIATE improvement over that wishy-washy-”cant we all get along” Maryland-RINO Mike Steele!!!

I’d hate to be wrong about this one. I think that she is done with “politics as usual” and I think that means everything except “I’m leaving politics”! The Libs that NEVER get challenged by our side may need to start preparing and organizing their closets and skeletons for a reunion with the public

OSUBuciz1 on July 4, 2009 at 6:31 AM

Boy, aren’t you the two faced little slug!

Blake on July 4, 2009 at 8:03 AM

As was mentioned already, circumstances do matter. Alaska is a long way from the rest of the country (a lot farther than most people realize). If she intends to “advance in another direction” she will have to cut herself off from such an isolated home base and take the fight to the enemy.

A lot depends on what she does in the next year, but an awful lot of Republican candidates are going to be tripping over each other to get her at their fundraisers and rallies. She can pick and choose her venues (and her allies) and say exactly what she wants without being directly responsible to anybody — including the national Republican Party, which essentially abandoned her when she could have used an ally.

People who are stating as a categorical, unarguable fact that she is done as a national candidate are jumping the gun by a mile. Wait and see what she’s done 6 or 9 months from now and then maybe they can make that kind of empahtic statement — or maybe they’ll be doing an “Obama” (i.e. doing a 180) and prefacing their new statement with, “As we’ve said all along…”

cruadin on July 4, 2009 at 9:26 AM

“you can’t resign from a governorship and then run for higher office.”

Yeah, it’s not like she’s a U.S. Senator.

andycanuck on July 4, 2009 at 9:29 AM

Boy, aren’t you the two faced little slug!
Blake on July 4, 2009 at 8:03 AM

Interesting. Explain.

Slublog on July 4, 2009 at 9:32 AM

I don’t think she’s quiting at all. Now she can stay home with her family and work on her book, occasionally raise money for conservative candidates she approves of, collect iou’s, and attack the left as she sees fit. Staying as governor just ties her hands. She can’t do both effectively. Now she can. Soc Et Tuem Sarah.

shmendrick on July 4, 2009 at 9:50 AM

Ashamed? He just won himself a Lifetime Achievement Emmy!

Kid from Brooklyn on July 4, 2009 at 10:43 AM

I don’t know if she’s done or not (and I don’t think anyone knows outside of her head), but I did read some interesting speculation at Conservatives4Palin about the resignation, relating it to the pipeline deal. While I think her motives were mostly to spare her children, the pipeline represents a strategic angle worth considering.

irishspy on July 4, 2009 at 11:32 AM

And for giving her that benefit of the doubt, you are far higher on the decency scale than her critics on the right that are savaging her for her decision. Good job.

thirteen28 on July 6, 2009 at 11:55 AM