Green Room

Hey, How About We Accept David Letterman’s Apology?

posted at 8:50 am on June 16, 2009 by

Since I’m being congratulated on both the left and the left for starting the ball rolling on this — I can’t take all the credit, guys, but thanks for the high praise — it’s probably expected of me to give a public response to Letterman’s apology last night.

He did the right thing.

He gave an apology in which he actually apologized to the specific people he wronged. Which, to some observers, is apparently optional. I don’t think it is, nor does anyone else who’s honest enough to admit what the word “apology” means, so I’m glad he specifically included an expression of regret for his actions.

And he named the wronged parties, particularly Willow and Bristol Palin. That’s the main thing. Whether he intended it or not, he hurt a kid whose only crime was going to a baseball game, and her older sister, whose only crime was having a child out of wedlock just like David Letterman. Well, that’s putting aside the unforgivable crime of being born to Sarah Palin.

He said he was sorry, and he didn’t play it for laughs (mostly). It might be a week late, but he did finally swallow his considerable pride and say it. And it only took half as long as the last “apology,” maybe because he didn’t yet again read off the jokes that got him in trouble in the first place and wait for the audience to applaud him for it.

Some people are focusing on his demurral that his intent didn’t match the public’s perception. But keep in mind, he then immediately said it didn’t matter, and nobody’s to blame for what happened but him. Basically, he was saying, “I didn’t mean it the way it came out, but the results are still my fault.” I would have liked him to explain how he and his staff were interested enough in a state governor who lost the last election to track her movements, but too lazy to make sure that their cruel slur against her daughter was actually directed at the correct one. But he did say that he honestly had no idea Willow was at that game. He should’ve said so to begin with, but at least he finally realized how important that part was.

I’m not saying I’m suddenly a Letterman fan again, but we need to accept his apology. Sarah has, and good for her. She was right to call him out on his phony apology, and she’s right to accept his real one.

Now maybe she can accept his invitation and take her message to Letterman’s audience. Maybe if he meets her face-to-face, he’ll realize she and her family are actual human beings and not just props in his game of Bash the Evil Conservatives to Keep Up with Stewart and Colbert. Heck, he might even listen to what she has to say. He might realize she has something to say.

And if she gets in a few zingers at his expense, as is her due, you can bet he’ll go out of his way to be gracious about it.

Well, a promise is a promise, so now that he’s said pretty much what I and many others demanded he say: David Letterman does not think raping little girls is funny.

P.S. I hope some can accept those of us who accept the apology.

P.P.S. To the people who are comparing this to the Imus debacle: Do what you want, but I have no interest in emulating Al Sharpton. He demands an apology and then, when it’s given, turns it down as insufficiently sincere. Most un-Christianlike behavior for a purported man of God. It might be an effective way to browbeat somebody into shutting up, but I didn’t like it then and I don’t like it now.

(Crossposted to jimtreacher.com)

Recently in the Green Room:

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

Katie Couric never called Palin’s daughter a whore. I think Palin is in a slightly better bargaining position here.

Hmmmm…. Letterman gets viewers, a bit of credibility back, a chance to put her gently back into her place as a buffoon. Palin gets… what?

Nope. I’m glad she declined the invite.

ROCnPhilly on June 16, 2009 at 7:49 PM

Okay – I will quit calling sponsers. Beccause I like you, Treacher. Plus, I am thrilled to be able to comment!

djl130 on June 16, 2009 at 8:30 PM

As I’ve tried to explain, it is in his best interest right now not to paint her as a buffoon, and in fact to treat her with kid gloves.

Palin gets… what?

Nope. I’m glad she declined the invite.

ROCnPhilly on June 16, 2009 at 7:49 PM

Which was made before he gave her an apology worth accepting. I think she could use his platform to promote her issues and show that she’s a good sport, at a time when he’s pretty much at her mercy.

Unless you think she’s not up to it. Unless you think she hasn’t learned anything from the last 10 months.

Jim Treacher on June 16, 2009 at 8:36 PM

Agree w/ Jim on this. It’s not up to us to be “successful,” i.e. in this case beat up the libs better than they beat us up. If we stick to our principles we have already won, no matter what they do politically. Sarah knows this and this is why she handled this totally right, from start to finish – because she lives her principles all day every day.

And accepting an apology which, yes, contained some self serving and pride-protecting elements, but which WAS an apology, is simply the right thing to do.

inviolet on June 16, 2009 at 8:49 PM

Which was made before he gave her an apology worth accepting.

We disagree here.

She’s definitely learned quite a bit since the campaign. New publicist? I’m not certain she’s up to taking on Letterman, though. She has a real job working as state governor. He makes a living mocking people. I, for one, would prefer to see her slowly gain support from previous scoffers. Slow and steady. She has a chance here for a political do-over. Obama’s spending should help long-term.

Perhaps we should agree to disagree?

ROCnPhilly on June 16, 2009 at 11:17 PM

There does come a point after continuous attacks when he’ll become the victim. Should that happen, all else ’till that point will be lost.

eforhan on June 17, 2009 at 8:34 AM

Bizarro No. 1 on June 16, 2009 at 5:04 PM.

Well imagine a Troll, who would have guessed that one…SARC!

Dr Evil on June 17, 2009 at 8:58 AM

I agree with Laura. And FYI no one has to forgive EVIL in fact God requires us to confront EVIL.

David Letterman’s so called joke was about Statutory Rape….that is indefensible so he changed it to the older daughter, and you all are willing to buy whatever he is selling GO AHEAD. Is Statutory Rape EVIL? I guess if your a man you can describe his so called joke as something else.

He is going to get hurt by this he is going to lose sponsors, I doubt he will be fired. Does it make any difference to me. NOPE. I don’t watch him now, and for sure will not watch him in the future. Will I boycott his sponsors, I sure am leaning in that direction.

Let’s see Hillbuzz has the list.

Dr Evil on June 17, 2009 at 9:04 AM

Were you satisfied with David Letterman’s apology to Sarah Palin?

28% yes

72% no

Dr Evil on June 17, 2009 at 9:55 AM

But hey, Stephen Crowder says we should never have gotten angry in the first place, ya bunch of poo-poo heads.

eforhan on June 17, 2009 at 10:10 AM

eforhan on June 17, 2009 at 10:10 AM

Crowder kissing up to Letterman? Letterman has a talk show that showcases comedians go figure, they are all singing the same tune…that didn’t happen with Imus, in fact the only person -comedian in his case, that took any stand was D.L.Hughley.

I guess Crowder goes down in the self serving column.

Dr Evil on June 17, 2009 at 12:06 PM

Look, people can disagree on this without becoming the enemy… I’m perplexed why that lame “I meant Bristol” excuse is getting any play with conservatives but that’s rapidly becoming the new Conventional Wisdom, along with the idea that this was a serious apology. Whatever. I still like Treacher, and I still like Crowder, and I don’t think it’s self-serving or kissing up to Letterman or anything else to express an opinion about this whole fiasco. I definitely don’t think Crowder has any expectations of getting on Letterman’s show.

Laura on June 17, 2009 at 3:02 PM

I heard back from Best Western and eBay, both insist they were computer generated ads and they do not support any show in particular or point of view.

Nothing from the rest of the listed advertisers.

I still say he doesn’t realize he did anything wrong, Dennis Miller even said that he should have realized how bad it was in rehearsal and pulled it.

ProudinNC on June 17, 2009 at 9:16 PM

Laura on June 17, 2009 at 3:02 PM

I believe Crowder is being self serving. There is no other reason to tell Women of all political ideology, that they shouldn’t get angry about the Statutory Rape Joke in the first place.

I am an Independent if Republican Men think it is such a little thing to make a ?joke? like this about a child. I am pretty happy I am an Independent.

21% Identify Liberal
38% Moderate
40% Conservative

Let’s see N.O.W. would be considered Liberal, PUMAS Moderate and a lot of Conservatives, me included voted for Palin. So no it’s not just a Republican Thing. I don’t need any Man telling me how I should accept anything. That’s my business.

Crowder is a Conservative Comedian, that has a right to an opinion, and he can speak for himself. BUT it stops right there (Remember Individuals – Conservatives are always championing Individual Rights) Not Crowder or anyone else get’s to tell me how to respond to anything.

Yes I believe Crowder is self serving, and he is thinking only of the politics of the issue. This is more than just politics. This is a Social Issue that involves women and children, and how they are treated in this country. If I want to be told what to accept and react to a man making ugly comments about little girls in the media “Letterman”. I will move to the middle east, where women are told how to behave and speak, where women are lucky if they are even considered second class people.

Letterman didn’t just insult Republican women, he angered PEOPLE from every political ideology That includes Fathers, Uncles,Grandfathers, Brothers…

CBS Poll last time I checked. Who Accepts Letterman’s apology.

28% Yes
72% NO

Hmmmmm I am getting the impression more people agree with me than Crowder.

Dr Evil on June 18, 2009 at 10:18 AM

Re-read Crowder’s article. He isn’t saying don’t get angry about a statutory rape joke. He’s saying there was no statutory rape joke in the first place:

Letterman was under the impression that Bristol Palin (the older daughter) had been taken to the ball game and Letterman made a joke about her getting “knocked up by Alex Rodriguez.”

In short, he bought Letterman’s tardy and weak excuse that he meant to call Bristol a slut instead of Willow. And follows up with the offensive notion that since Bristol has had an out of wedlock child, she’s fair game. I disagree with him on all counts, but he’s not making light of any sort of rape.

Laura on June 18, 2009 at 10:27 AM

Laura on June 18, 2009 at 10:27 AM

I am saying Crowder knows betters and chooses to ?Believe? Letterman. What some people are not picking up on is that this is bigger than partisan politics. When Letterman took a whack at Gov Palin he managed to hit a lot of average Americans in the processes. Does he get it? In his last apology he told his audience it wasn’t their fault they misunderstood the joke that it was flawed…nope that isn’t what happened. He stepped in it, and now he is getting it from all directions, not just from Republicans, not just from Conservative Republicans. I think perhaps people like Crowder are looking through the political prism and more is going on. Crowder is also a comedian he isn’t going to hold another comedian to the same standard as non comedians…and a PUMA Cinie even explains why:

What, you thought I was going for the Palin vs. Letterman ten rounder, or the Don’t Ask, I Won’t Tell You No wink and weenie wank domestic partner benefit memorandum that doesn’t exclude gays thing? Pish tosh. For one thing Palin’s gotten all the apology she’s gonna get, the fact that she got one at all is a victory for women, especially PUMAs, in and of itself. There’s not a lot of meat left on that bone, especially if you know like I do that comedians are hard-wired never to apologize for any joke, at any time, to anybody. It de-legitimizes everything they say from that point on. “**** ‘em if they can’t take a joke” is tattooed on the twisted brain of every comic, genius or otherwise, that ever took mike in hand and had the balls or eggs to stand naked and vulnerable in front of strangers for laughs.

Dr Evil on June 18, 2009 at 3:34 PM

I am not calling for David Letterman to be fired. I didn’t ask for an apology. I felt if an apology had to be asked for, it wouldn’t be genuine. what purpose would a fake apology serve? I stated many times he wouldn’t be fired. No one is monitoring or targeting David Letterman, like they did Imus. SEE media matters of america, monitored him for 3 years looking for a way to whip up a media frenzy to get him off air….something to do with calling Hillary Clinton Satan daily, out of NYC, she was running for President and at the time the Junior Senator from New York. I guess she didn’t want people nation wide waking up to this declaration by Imus :) Imus can really call em SMILE. BUT Letterman won’t be fired because he attacks Conservatives so he is safe. That doesn’t bother anyone, who thinks we should just accept his apology?

In the case of David Letterman I stated “let the free market decide” let people vote with their remotes. (I already don’t watch Letterman so he can’t lose me as a viewer) Then came the call for a boycotts of his sponsors, and I did have to think about this one. Do I want to support companys, that are totally deaf to the people who buy their products…that one is more difficult. Lucky for me I went through the list of Letterman’s sponsors. I am not using those products anyway but someone is, and now Olive Garden pulled their adds, and so did Embassy Suites. Will the Networks finally get the message to stop insulting their audience? Remember the TEA PARTY coverage? Remember how Governor Sarah Palin was treated by the Media during the campaign? Maybe this will get their attention when nothing else does, loss of revenue dollars. The link below updates the current status of those demanding David Letterman be fired.

Dr Evil on June 18, 2009 at 4:23 PM