Green Room

Let’s Break Down This Letterman/Palin Deal for Our Good Friends on the Left

posted at 11:41 pm on June 11, 2009 by

Apparently it’s confusing to some people, so let’s see if this helps explain why one of the jokes Letterman made the other night was a joke about raping a 14-year-old girl:

1. The only Palin daughter who went to the Yankees game that Letterman referred to was Willow.
  2. In order for Alex Rodriguez to impregnate Willow Palin, as delineated in Letterman’s hilarious punch line, A-Rod would have to commit statutory rape.
  3. Statutory rape is rape.

I realize I just threw a lot at you there, progressives, so feel free to take as much time as you need to sort through it.

[A long, long time passes]

All done? Think you’ve got it? Okay.

Now, during Letterman’s “part apology, part clarification” that neither apologized for nor clarified anything, he insisted that he wouldn’t make a joke about a kid getting knocked up because that would be sick, and he’s not sick. While this is truly a mighty fortress of logic, the fact remains that he spent eight full minutes on the topic last night without explaining why it wasn’t really a Willow Palin joke, even though Willow was the only Palin daughter at the event he was talking about.

“It doesn’t matter which Palin daughter got knocked up in that fictional scenario,” you cry. “It’s totally irrelevant to the joke!” Hey, don’t tell me. Tell Willow Palin. She’s the one who went to a baseball game with her mom and dad, and got slammed for it on national TV by a very wealthy and prominent older gentleman who has a history of problems dealing with women.

Recently in the Green Room:

Comments

The fact that he has previously stated that he is sexually attracted to Sarah Palin is something I haven’t seen incorporated in any of the MSM play by play we have been getting on the subject either. The guy obviously has some personal “special” feelings about the Governor and her daughters that have been working themselves into his monologues.

Kataklysmic on June 12, 2009 at 12:34 AM

You are good man Mr. Treacher. One of the Marines doctrines is to defend those who cannot defend themselves from harm or I might just be remembering my fathers own words inaccurately. It is a gist thing. David Letterman should be hanging his head in shame. Aim small miss small.

Americannodash on June 12, 2009 at 12:42 AM

While I am glad the diatribe continues, America gets it, ratings will reflect it and Letterman while accomplished in the past will suffer, as he should.

He pushed the envelope and didn’t realize his comfy comfort zone will not sustain him.

In other words, he really pissed off flyover country.

seesalrun on June 12, 2009 at 12:51 AM

and Jim I always note your comments glad to see you here. Good luck and God Speed.

seesalrun on June 12, 2009 at 12:53 AM

It’s wrong, what David Letterman did, but it’s wronger why he did it.

happyfeet on June 12, 2009 at 2:03 AM

If you watch the “clarification,” he had to ask someone on the set to verify the names of Palin’s kids for him. He seemed genuinely confused to me. It seems to me that he doesn’t know one from the other and probably doesn’t care.

Still doesn’t excuse the “jokes,” of course, but I’m wondering if it’s as much a sign of oncoming senility as anything else.

RWG on June 12, 2009 at 3:10 AM

I feel bad for the parents of his victims, but I still hope they catch ol’ “Candy-man” Letterman red-handed.

fronclynne on June 12, 2009 at 3:17 AM

It’s wrong, what David Letterman did, but it’s wronger why he did it.

happyfeet on June 12, 2009 at 2:03 AM

+100

the_nile on June 12, 2009 at 5:56 AM

So what lesson are we to take from Letterman’s ….um…clarification. Its wrong to joke about raping a 14 year old but its okay to joke about raping an 18 year old ……. simply because you disagree with the child’s parents’ political views.

Did I miss anything?

Stay classy, Letterman.

GT on June 12, 2009 at 6:21 AM

Good post Jim but I would add this …

So Dave now says that he wasn’t making a joke about Willow Palin?

But … doesn’t the “timeline” go like this?

— First Dave makes the joke about “knocking up” Palin’s daughter.

** Emails flood in complaining that Dave made a joke about the rape of a minor. Now you’d think that this is the point where someone would take Dave aside and say “Yo, we got a problem – they think you’re talking about Willow!” And of course – this is absolutely what had to have happened – and Dave dismissed this.

— Does Dave apologize? Hell no – he goes out the next night and doubles-down with an Eliot Spitzer “whore” joke aimed at her daughter. Again – Bristol’s not in New York.

So the way I understand this – Dave Letterman makes a rape joke about WILLOW – takes some light heat – but goes out the next night and doubles down on the joke – making her a prostitute the next night.

Then he takes major broadsides from advertisers who are now getting letters.

Then he decides to make a snarky apology.

Got it.

Feel free to correct me if I’m wrong here – I’m not a “follower” of David Letterman. But as I understand it – he told TWO jokes that sexually exploited Willow in two nights – there was a 24 hour period where he got complaints and ignored them.

At the very least – David Letterman was relishing in the “ambiguity” that he was telling a sexual joke about a 14 year old.

What a sick individual. If I run into this guy in an airport – I’m going to publicly ask him about his pedophelia problem.

HondaV65 on June 12, 2009 at 6:54 AM

David Letterman has begun what insiders call the Dan Rather descent pattern.

To his fans: invincible, cocky, talented.

To others: past his prime, expendable.

Then, the inevitable episode of astonishingly bad judgment.

And the clock is ticking.

jeff_from_mpls on June 12, 2009 at 7:23 AM

To his fans: invincible, cocky, talented.

Letterman has fans?

mchristian on June 12, 2009 at 7:57 AM

My teenage sons have suggested we take up a collection to send Todd Palin to New York.

Yeah, they’ve seen the occasional angry dad of a young teen girl…

mrsbash on June 12, 2009 at 8:14 AM

Anyone else see it as a pathetic old pervert going for ratings – any attention, good or bad, is attention, right?

I was surprised to hear that one of the orgs for old hags (can’t remember which one) actually came out and scolded Mr. Late Night, but then I read the paragraph where the hags had to diss Gov. Palin. Same ol’ same ol’, *sigh*

TeeDee on June 12, 2009 at 9:41 AM

I’m still wondering why Pres. Obama hasn’t called for Letterman to be fired yet, as he did with Imus. These scripted jokes are worse than the off-the-cuff “nappy headed hos” comment.

Anyway, I disagree with sending Todd to New York, as mrsbash suggests. As I suggested on a different HotAir thread yesterday, Letterman should do a USO show (maybe even an embed?) in Iraq, where he can explain to Track and his buddies what he said about his younger sister(s), and what he really meant.

malclave on June 12, 2009 at 2:35 PM

Fine words, Jim.

I just can’t help but wonder if ol’ Dave really regrets screwing with the wrong Republican. If there were only more Republicans who were the wrong ones to screw with.

dougpowers on June 12, 2009 at 8:03 PM

The heads are exploding at Huffpo. Many are suffering from cognitive dissonance. They are figuring out that the left really doesn’t care about all women and children. They make apologies for Letterman when his actions are indefensible.
This is delicious.