Green Room

Exactly What Will the TuckPo Be?

posted at 8:12 am on May 27, 2009 by

Except that he’s a born-rich pretty boy from Southern California, I have no reason to hate Tucker Carlson. He’s certainly never even bothered to speak to me. Why would I possibly hate him?

So when Allah headlined the news yesterday that Carlson was launching something called TheDailyCaller.com, my main reaction was, “Huh?”

Starting an over/under pool on how long it would take TuckPo to implode? That was mainly an embittered reaction to the implied snub of anybody starting a Web news operation in Washington without first bothering to call Mr. Million Hits.

The Hill story about Carlson’s appearance at the Heritage blogger lunch was short and sketchy. What exactly was Carlson up to? Wonder no more. Ted Molin reports for Human Events:

The Daily Caller strays from the model used by blogs and typical news sources, developing a “massive talent pool that most can’t afford.” Carlson hopes to closely record the traffic on the site, giving a substantial cutback of the profits to news reporters. “The bulk of the effort will be volunteering,” he said. A large collection of contributors can critique and add to the site. . . .
Carlson was optimistic, noting that while there are many conservative news sites, there is “room for a center of gravity to this administration in Washington, and we hope to be that.”
“We’re getting a version of socialism and nobody cares,” said Carlson. The Daily Caller will provide a “vital message, goal and crusade.”
Among his priorities is a need to “adhere to the highest standards of accuracy,” he noted, mentioning the necessary oversight of the expansive “aggregate” section. (Emphasis added.)

You can read the whole thing. If we read between the lines, there will not actually be a salaried professional news-gathering staff. It’s an aggregator with comments and volunteer “contributors” paid on a per-click basis.

Sounds like a low-budget operation, a glorified blog or an imitation Drudge Report with the promotional boost of a rich pretty-boy TV spokesperson, so that when Carlson appears on Fox, the chyron under his talking head says, “DailyCaller.com.”

So whatever’s happening at other online rightward aggregators — e.g., Conservative Grapevine or Net Right Nation — we needed something else and, voila, TuckPo.

There are lots and lots of people trying to create new Web projects, some of whom have the decency to get in touch and let me know about it first. Two buddies, Mike Casey and Jason Corley, recently started an aggregator called the Conservative Political Report, but neither of those guys are rich pretty-boy TV stars, so they didn’t get written up in the Hill or Human Events.

Of course, it is entirely possible that TuckPo won’t suck, despite its botched roll-out. Did I say, “botched”? Look, pretty boy: If you’re going to start a new Web site, you don’t begin by holding a press conference or issue a press release declaring your intention to start a new Web site. You bring the page up in beta, work the bugs out before anybody’s seen it, circulate the word to your blogger friends via e-mail, and only when you’ve got it rolling good and steady do you issue a press release and start doing promotion. All of which anybody in the business would have told you, if you had bothered to ask.

As it is, the didn’t-bother-to-ask factor leads me to believe that we’re about to see another spectacular Hindenburg-at-Lakehurst catastrophe like Culture 11. I may be wrong. Maybe it’s going to be a fantastic success, and I’ll be linking it every day. So even though the rich TV pretty boy never asked my advice, I’ll do him the favor of offering one piece of advice for free: It had better not suck.

Recently in the Green Room:

Comments

That’s five “pretty boys” in one post.

Jealousy is a stinky cologne.

MadisonConservative on May 27, 2009 at 8:17 AM

With a face like mine, one becomes accustomed to seeing pretty boys get all the glory. But like Steiner said, on the Internet, no one knows you’re a dog.

Carlson can’t help being good-looking any more than I can help being ugly. My gripe is that Carlson’s made a career of it. He skates by on looks, and he’s such a god-awful born-rich snob about it, too. His neck must get stiff from perpetually looking down his nose at everyone else.

Nobody knows what Allah looks like and Ace famously looks like an Ewok. Professor Glenn Reynolds is ruggedly handsome, but he hasn’t parlayed his manly good looks into a series of failed TV pundit gigs, has he?

The blogosphere is a great equalizer that way. Carlson’s celebrity will be a marketing asset, but that’s the limit of its value. Ultimately, he’s got to produce. So like I said, it had better not suck.

The Other McCain on May 27, 2009 at 9:00 AM

I thought he was a good host on Crossfire, at least until Jon Stewart showed up and cried about the fact that Crossfire only represented the two parties.

MadisonConservative on May 27, 2009 at 9:04 AM

I never watched “Crossfire” after the Buchanan/Kinsley era.

The Other McCain on May 27, 2009 at 9:05 AM

I have an immediate, perhaps inordinate, distrust of men named Tucker who wear bowties.

Brian1972 on May 27, 2009 at 1:24 PM

Tucker Carlson is “pretty”??

Lehosh on May 30, 2009 at 6:11 AM

Top Pick

Going for the record

Top Pick

“We will answer them on the field”

Taking it to the limit

Sunday morning talking heads

Jazz Shaw Jun 25, 2017 8:01 AM

Health care and tweeting and Russia, oh my!

Will they stay or will they go?

I can’t imagine what I was thinking when I said that

Rocking the boat majorly

Big government never contracts. It only grows more powerful

It’s only a “ban” until it becomes inconvenient

The decline and fall of Obamacare and the AHCA

Jazz Shaw Jun 24, 2017 8:31 AM

This was all over before it began

Fixing crime in America is a complicated issue

Taylor Millard Jun 23, 2017 8:31 PM

Cops alone won’t solve it.

Democrats forgot all about the “era of good feelings”

“Bernie and Jane Sanders have lawyered up.”

Winning isn’t everything. It is the only thing

Trump signs VA reform bill into law

John Sexton Jun 23, 2017 2:41 PM

A new era of something.

“…died suddenly in less than a week just after his return to the U.S.”

The shortsightedness of “Denounce and Preserve”

Taylor Millard Jun 23, 2017 12:11 PM

Pragmatism for the sake of pragmatism doesn’t always work.

Perhaps if you threw in a new car?

Gay marriages still growing, but not as fast

Andrew Malcolm Jun 23, 2017 10:31 AM

More, but not as quickly.

Should’ve stuck with the pirate gig. It was working for him

The battle for the rubble of Raqqa is underway

Andrew Malcolm Jun 23, 2017 8:51 AM

Won’t be much left.

Your list of demands is a publicity stunt

“The jobs are still leaving. Nothing has stopped.”

Bad vendor. Bad! No cookie!

“So you want me to sing my praises, is that what you’re saying?”

Why would we possibly want that?

“I mean he sold our country to The Russians.”

I could think of someone else you might want to ask about…

Trump: I never made any recordings of Comey

Allahpundit Jun 22, 2017 2:01 PM

Bluff.

Hackers stole private data from election databases

John Sexton Jun 22, 2017 1:21 PM