Green Room

Carrie Prejean and the Myth of ‘Homophobia’

posted at 12:13 pm on May 7, 2009 by

Being a greedy capitalist blogger, I had foresight to set up the “Carrie Prejean nude” Google bomb long before such pictures were even imagined to actually exist. (I’m currently about the No. 5 result, outranked only by MSNBC and a few other sites.) Some conservatives have given me a lot of heat for that. In fact, my wife has given me a lot of heat for it.

My defense, other than being a greedy capitalist, is that if somebody’s Googling for that stuff, would you rather them end up on one of those vicious left-wing sites? Or would you want them to come to a blog run by the author of “Marriage: A Hill to Die On“? Mainly, though, it’s capitalist greed. Go ahead, hate me: Je suis un capitaliste!

Because I’m on the cutting edge of blogospheric scamology, I’m getting lots of tips in my comment fields about Carrie, including a TMZ article headlined “Carrie Prejean — The Origins of Homophobia”:

Carrie’s parents filed for divorce in 1988 and the divorce and custody fights went on for more than a decade — it was a divorce filled with homosexual allegations hurled by both sides.
In one of the docs, Carrie’s dad describes a confrontation he had with her mom in 1996, in which he recounts an argument in a restaurant parking lot, where “Ms. Prejean accused me, in front of our daughter, of homosexuality.” . . .
The papers also quote a court-appointed doctor who said “The mother questioned [within hearing of the girls] whether [her father] was a homosexual or had a homosexual roommate.” . . .
In court papers dated May 16, 2000, a report from the court-appointed counselor says “The mother also alleges the father told the girls their stepfather was gay, that all men with mustaches are gay.” The father’s response: “The father acknowledges talking with the girls about the stepfather’s brother being gay, not the stepfather.”

Let me say something very clearly: Stipulating as a hypothetical that there exists a mental disorder we might fairly call “homophobia” — an irrational fear or hatred of homosexuals — I am 100% certain that I do not suffer from it. And I’m willing to bet good money that Carrie Prejean doesn’t suffer from it, either. (Oh, look at the terror in her eyes!)

Hey, TMZ, I’m sure you’re not interested in “SHOCKING CONFESSIONS OF A RIGHT-WING BLOGGER,” but let me tell you a few things about me:

• I played trombone in marching band.
  • My college major? Drama.
  • My college minor? Art.
  • Disco? Like a dancin’ fool.
  • I can cite show tunes by memory and have been known to spontaneously begin singing the “Willkommen” opening from “Cabaret,” complete with Bob Fosse dance moves.
  • I started reading GQ when I was 14. I have been known to wear a striped Speedo. I also have been known to wear pink. And one of my favorite shirts is a French-cuff lavender all-cotton herringbone weave that I bought in London, which I usually wear with a black-on-black pinstripe suit and a black-and-purple silk floral tie.
  • Oh, and I’m also a Christian conservative home-schooling father of six, who just celebrated his 20th wedding anniversary.

See? Ever since Theodor Adorno and “The Authoritarian Personality,” the Left has been playing this idiotic armchair Freudian thing against their opponents. We’re all just a bunch of sexually-repressed uptight closet cases, projecting our internal self-loathing onto scapegoats. Disagree with a policy proposal of the Left? You’re a hater! You’re a racist, a sexist, a homophobe! You’re crazy!

Yeah. I’m about nine kinds of crazy, but I’m not so crazy I’m going to let a bunch of totalitarian Thought Police pretend they have magical mind-reading abilities. You don’t know me from Adam’s housecat, buddy. You don’t know what I think or what I have done. You don’t know who I “hate” or who I “fear” or what my opinions are about art, music, dance, drama or philosophy.

Not only do you not know what I think, you are not going to tell me what I should think, either. I can think for myself, thank you very much. And the same goes for my friends, like “Joe the Plumber: Ordinary American.” Somebody like Joe or Carrie goes and says something that contradicts your elite consensus and you must destroy them. Why? I quote that notorious right-wing extremist, Thomas Jefferson:

“[T]ruth is great and will prevail if left to herself . . . she is the proper and sufficient antagonist to error, and has nothing to fear from the conflict, unless by human interposition disarmed of her natural weapons, free argument and debate, errors ceasing to be dangerous when it is permitted freely to contradict them.”

Scum like Perez Hilton think Ordinary Americans are too stupid to figure out their game. As soon as an opponent speaks out, the goons and the propaganda smear-artists go to work to silence dissent.

We’re too stupid to figure this out, you see? We are not enlightened and sophisticated like they are. We’re all a bunch of backwoods hillbilly holy-rollers, clinging to our guns and our Bibles. What is a liberal’s favorite word to put down a conservative? “Ignorant.”

So I’m just like Joe the Plumber and Carrie Prejean — entirely ignorant about homosexuality, and therefore motivated by irrational fears and hatreds, so that any argument I make in contradiction of the elite consensus can be peremptorily dismissed.

Ad hominem. Non sequitur. Sic semper hoc.

Yeah, I can sling a bit of Latin. French, too. (Double-entendre!) My Greek is a bit rusty, but I bet I could top Perez Hilton in Greek.

Ignorance is bliss, and pride goeth before a fall. You lefties keep congratulating yourselves on how intellectually superior you are to the rest of us. Because I know a little Hebrew, too: Mene, mene, tekel, upharsin.

UPDATE: Laura has related thoughts, as does Allah. Neither of them link me, because everybody hates me. Especially Allah.

UPDATE II: Pundette loves me.

Recently in the Green Room:

Comments

My Greek is a bit rusty, but I bet I could top Perez Hilton in Greek.

I will say… the double-entendre there is more than a little disturbing.

But of course, I’m an ignorant hick.

darury on May 7, 2009 at 12:35 PM

Funny bit of ideological inconsistency: Many of Freud’s ideas have been completely discredited in the psych community … until you bring up conservatives and suddenly ALL OF HIS THEORIES ARE TRUUUUUUUE!

It’s funny.

TheUnrepentantGeek on May 7, 2009 at 12:35 PM

But of course, I’m an ignorant hick.

Ditto. The LGBT community has a monopoly on sexual sophistication. We’re just a bunch of troglodyte “breeders” who aren’t even aware of the appropriate terminology for good sex.

The Other McCain on May 7, 2009 at 12:58 PM

Something else not true: the Will and Grace myth; homosexuals as funny, fashionable, cleverer-than-you etc. I used to live with two gay men who were not a couple, and I spent a lot of time in those social circles back in the day. The gay PR initiative that the media and entertainment industries has conducted is amazing. Both in its audacity and in its success.

Laura on May 7, 2009 at 1:00 PM

Hey, Laura, “back in the day,” you didn’t wear a lot of flannel shirts or play fast-pitch softball did you?

NTTAWWT. And let’s leave my polyester disco slacks out of this, shall we?

(New! From Milton Bradley! Fun With Stereotypes! The new game the whole family will love! Especially that dweeby little four-eyes kid named “Milton”!)

The Other McCain on May 7, 2009 at 1:15 PM

More like leather bustiers. And I would have danced with you, leisure suit and all, if you were brave enough to enter the bars I normally frequented back then. But that’s the extent of what I’ll admit to. ;-) I was a different person then, to say the least.

Laura on May 7, 2009 at 1:33 PM

TheUnrepentantGeek on May 7, 2009 at 12:35 PM

Actually – Freud himself debunked much of his life long work towards the end. It was his daughter Anna who revitalized the psycho-analysis movement…

Odie1941 on May 7, 2009 at 1:35 PM

Theodor Adorno and “The Authoritarian Personality

Thanks for linking that very useful and informative essay.

RushBaby on May 7, 2009 at 3:26 PM

You sir, know you audience. The words Carrie Prejean in the headline and I’m there, like a moth to the flame.

BadgerHawk on May 7, 2009 at 6:18 PM

Gaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay.

BadgerHawk on May 7, 2009 at 6:22 PM

You are either very self-assured, or got beat up a lot around the 9th grade.

Probably both.

cs89 on May 7, 2009 at 8:06 PM

Heh. The d**k-chewwea can have their sexual and intellectual sophistication. (or at least THINK they have it.)

Me? I’ll take Carrie with her logical sophistication any day.

Dark-Star on May 7, 2009 at 9:00 PM

Gaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay.
BadgerHawk on May 7, 2009

Don’t you wish, Brucie-boy!

The Other McCain on May 7, 2009 at 9:32 PM

You are either very self-assured, or got beat up a lot around the 9th grade.
Probably both.
cs89 on May 7, 2009

Nah. I also ran with a gang of roughneck dopehead hoodlums, so nobody messed with me. Much.

The Other McCain on May 7, 2009 at 9:34 PM

From what I have read on this subject – mostly at the Gay Patriot – Perez Hilton is a foul mouthed twit.

I am a straight woman. I am not a homophobe and I believe that marriage is between a man and a woman. The gays should have the same protection as common law couples (that is the heterosexuals who live together without getting the piece of paper they so despise).

I have worked with gay men and women, but mostly with the men. One man disgusted me because of his attitudes and his in your face behaviour. One man was completely professional in his dealings with others. The other man, the one I really got along with, well he was also quite overt, and there were people in that workplace who found it difficult to work with him…. but I found him to be funny and we had a few things in common and we just understood each other….

There are homosexuals who disagree with the behaviour of Carrie Prejean. The libtards that frequent the Gay Patriot just seem to have difficulty in accepting that the kind of slander that this young woman has faced is not acceptable. What she said, as it was reported on that site, there is no way that Carrie is a homophobe. She stated what POTUS had stated, and for this she was called a “C”-word – how disgusting.

It is time for the silent majority to tell these libtards and gays where to go because they are ruining your country and my country.

maggieo on May 9, 2009 at 6:12 AM