Green Room

Why Isn’t Carrie Prejean Mrs. USA?

posted at 12:32 pm on May 1, 2009 by

At a press conference yesterday, conservative lesbian blogger Cynthia Yockey didn’t endear herself to Carrie Prejean by asking this “inappropriate” question:

“Will you show your support for marriage by dating only ex-gay men?”

Conservatives are in no mood for criticism of their new heroine, and another reporter’s question yesterday about Miss Prejean’s breast implants was also dismissed as “inappropriate.” Yet there are still questions that conservatives must ask about this situation, and at risk of being the skunk at the garden party, I’ll ask them.

Ms. Yockey is a friend of mine, although I strongly disagree with her support for same-sex marriage. Miss Prejean is on my side of the argument. I’ve called the marriage issue “A Hill to Die On” for conservatives, and I’m not budging.

However, even if we dismiss Miss Prejean’s breast implants as morally neutral, if she wants to advocate marriage, why not lead by example and get married? Surely there can be no shortage of willing suitors.

This goes back to my earlier Green Room colloquy with Laura. I hate to resort to something like a culture-war equivalent of the “chicken hawk” accusation, but if Christian conservatives want to defend traditional values, it would be helpful for them to live the values they advocate.

It might be too much to expect Carrie Prejean to act on Ms. Yockey’s snarky suggestion of seeking out ex-gay men and rewarding their newfound heterosexuality with her pulchritudinous companionship. On the other hand, perhaps a certain atheist Beta-male blogger might be a worthy object of her evangelical efforts.

Hey, I believe in miracles.

Recently in the Green Room:

Comments

She’s only 21. Just because she believes in marriage, it doesn’t mean she’s ready to make a mockery of it by jumping quickly into one as a publicity stunt.

Esthier on May 1, 2009 at 12:39 PM

Maybe because she’s still in college and hasn’t found “Mr. Right?”

cs89 on May 1, 2009 at 12:42 PM

So only married folks are allowed to talk about marriage or something?

amkun on May 1, 2009 at 12:47 PM

What in the world are you advocating? That everyone who can get married right now must do so ASAP or they don’t support marriage? I’m sorry but that’s kooky.

And who cares about a boob job anymore? It’s an aesthetic choice.

Because the room was so empty, I had secured the chair directly in front of the podium where Prejean spoke. I did not think Ms. Prejean was going to call on me, so I just spoke up and asked her, “Will you show your support for marriage by dating only ex-gay men?”

This is silly. What she even trying to imply here?

TheUnrepentantGeek on May 1, 2009 at 12:52 PM

pro marriage.. gay marriage..

real or fake boobs..

the very REAL issue is..

Does Carrie Prejean use hair extensions?

Look at her mane.. it can’t be that natural all of the time..

And I am willing to bet she used some kind of hair coloring system too.

DaveC on May 1, 2009 at 1:03 PM

Why Isn’t Carrie Prejean Mrs. USA?

I haven’t asked her yet. :-)

[Though, I hasten to add, I am not an ex-gay man. Just for the record.]

coldwarrior on May 1, 2009 at 1:09 PM

My mom got breast implants when she was in her twenties because, when she was done growing what god gave her, she was flatter than most of her male friends.

Mom mom and my dad are celebrating their 35th wedding anniversary this December.

I don’t think breast implants have anything at all to do with support for traditional marriage.

JadeNYU on May 1, 2009 at 1:10 PM

That should say “My mom and my dad” not “mom mom and dad”…..

Mom, mom and dad would probably not fall under the category of traditional marriage.

JadeNYU on May 1, 2009 at 1:10 PM

I am not an ex-gay man. Just for the record.

coldwarrior on May 1, 2009 at 1:09 PM

NTTAWWT.

The Other McCain on May 1, 2009 at 1:26 PM

The Other McCain on May 1, 2009 at 1:26 PM

Goes without saying. :-P

coldwarrior on May 1, 2009 at 1:29 PM

So a girl who is barely old enough to drink is discredited because she isn’t married yet?

Good grief.

MadisonConservative on May 1, 2009 at 1:46 PM

I think she should date male lesbians.

BD57 on May 1, 2009 at 1:46 PM

Esthier on May 1, 2009 at 12:39 PM

Dead on.

MadisonConservative on May 1, 2009 at 1:49 PM

JadeNYU on May 1, 2009 at 1:10 PM

Well, give it a few years…

JadeNYU on May 1, 2009 at 1:10 PM

Agreed. Women get them all the time for various reasons. My great aunt had them after she had a double mastectomy. My mother got estimates during her cancer treatments but ended up not needing them.

Esthier on May 1, 2009 at 2:18 PM

I think she should date male lesbians.

BD57 on May 1, 2009 at 1:46 PM

Hey, leave me out of this, OK? Just because I’m a lesbian trapped in a man’s body doesn’t mean . . .

The Other McCain on May 1, 2009 at 3:03 PM

The Other McCain on May 1, 2009 at 3:03 PM

On behalf of the newly formed Lesbians Trapped in Men’s Bodies of America for Equality and Justice, or alternately known as simply the LTMBAEJ Community, allow me to invite you to join us in our crusade. The dues are only $50 per month, and when we figure out just what our crusade is, aside from Equality and Justice, we will be very active on K-Street. For Equality. And Justice.

P.S. Any ideas on colors for a logo and flag would be appreciated.

Brian1972 on May 1, 2009 at 4:36 PM

Is Hot Air a conservative blog or not?

You guys really need to make up your minds one way or the other because, like the Republican party, you seem to be having a real identity crisis.

Jaynie59 on May 1, 2009 at 4:57 PM

Wow, that is an excellent liberal argument! Pointless, illogical and totally without substance to support the underlying argument.

Well played!

ihasurnominashun on May 1, 2009 at 5:42 PM

Conservative lesbian? Is that at all similiar to being a Neo-Confederate lesbian?

aengus on May 2, 2009 at 3:52 PM

I’m anti-abortion. I guess I should be having babies by your standards.

geckomon on May 5, 2009 at 9:49 AM