Green Room

Rep. Blackburn Busts Gore At Hearing — He’s a Partner For Firm That Will Make Millions From Cap & Trade Legislation

posted at 5:01 am on April 25, 2009 by

Rep. Blackburn–1 Snake Oil Salesman—0

Rep. Marsha Blackburn (R-Tenn.) challenged Al Gore’s motives for supporting climate change legislation including his links to a firm that will make millions from cap and trade:

Funny… During that same hearing Gore compared global warming skeptics to fraudster Bernie Madoff.

The Hill has more on the exchange:

Blackburn noted Gore’s role as partner in Kleiner, Perkins, Caufield & Byers, a venture capital firm that invests in technology to address global warming.

Blackburn asked Gore if he stood to benefit financially from cap-and-trade legislation, which would force companies to reduce carbon emissions. Companies would likely turn to the kinds of technologies Kleiner Perkins helps develop.

“This bill is going to fundamentally change the way America works.” Given the magnitude of those changes, I think it’s really important that no suspicion or shadow fall on the foremost advocates of climate change legislation. So I wanted to give you the opportunity to kind of clear the air about your motives and maybe set the record straight.”

Here’s what followed:

BLACKBURN: I’ve got an article from October 8th, the New York Times Magazine about a firm called Kleiner Perkins. A capital firm called Kleiner Perkins. Are you aware of that company?

GORE: (LAUGHS) Well yes, I’m a partner at Kleiner Perkins.

BLACKBURN: So you’re a partner at Kleiner Perkins. OK. Now they have invested about a billion dollars in 40 companies that are going to benefit from cap and trade legislation. So is the legislation that we’re discussing here today, is that something you are going to personally benefit from?

GORE: I believe that the transition to a green economy is good for our economy and good for all of us. And I have invested in it. But every penny that I have made, I have put right into a non-profit, the Alliance for Climate Protection, to spread awareness about why we have to take on this challenge. And Congresswoman, if you’re, if you believe the reason I have been working on this issue for 30 years is because of greed, you don’t know me.

BLACKBURN: I’m not making accusations. I’m asking questions that have been asked of me. And individuals, constituents that were seeking a point of clarity–

GORE: I understand exactly what you’re doing, Congresswoman. Everybody here does.

BLACKBURN: Well, are, you know, are you willing to divest yourself of any profit? Does all of it go to a not-for-profit that is an educational not-for-profit.

GORE: Every penny that I have made has gone to it. Every penny from the movie, from the book, from any investments in renewable energy. I’ve been willing to put my money where my mouth is. Do you think there’s something wrong with being active in business in this country?

Cross-posted at Gateway Pundit.

Recently in the Green Room:

Comments

He seem to have skated through that with the non-profit answer. I am not buying. I don’t believe him and I want to know if there is some other way he is being compensated. I guess I could believe he is going to live off the royalties from inventing the internet but everything must be looked into including whether he is getting money through a back door.

Cindy Munford on April 25, 2009 at 7:58 AM

It would be interesting to know how much of that nonprofit’s income goes to “overhead” and whether it owns a jet to shuttle the Goreacle around when he evangelizes, etc.

I love how he was laughing throughout.

Laura on April 25, 2009 at 8:35 AM

Considering Gore’s post-VP millions have come almost exclusively from the Global Warming/Climate Change hoax, of course, Gore wants a massive government “investment” in the same. No different at all from the war profiteers that Harry Truman made his bones going after 60 years ago.

What is most worrisome, is that Gore is hustling the public with such a straight face. For this reason alone, the mere fact that Gore was permitted to “testify” before Congress shows how terribly vapid Congress really has become when dealing with just about any subject at any time.

As for Rep. Marsha Blackburn…damn, I’m glad at least one member of Congress is paying attention.

coldwarrior on April 25, 2009 at 8:36 AM

Michael Savage had Margaret Thatcher’s Science Advisor on his show yesterday. He was supposed to address Congress as a counterpoint to Gore, but the Dems refused to let him speak. He flew all the way to Washington only to be disinvited at the airport.

Disturb the Universe on April 25, 2009 at 10:35 AM

Disturb the Universe on April 25, 2009 at 10:35 AM

That, sad to say, is universally disturbing. So, the Dems are so much invested in this AlGore hoax that the mere possibility of a dissenting scientifically-backed counter-position is no longer permitted? Settled science? Or have we descended to the old time witchcraft mentality in Washington? I can already see seething crowds of Dem Congress people waving torches, angrily shouting “Witch!! Heretic!! Free Thinker!!!” as they gather up faggots and wood to burn dissenters at the stake.

coldwarrior on April 25, 2009 at 10:47 AM

Nice job here GP… Nothing gets under my skin more than this phony sham of a scam. If there is such a thing as karma, Al Gore will have some exciting times ahead.

I read the report this morning about the Dems shutting down the opposing speaker. Anybody who believes the modern day Liberal cares one bit about free speech and the right to opposing thoughts & arguments; well, I won’t write what I think of those people.

Keemo on April 25, 2009 at 3:30 PM

You would think he would know by now all that self-righteous huffing & chuckling is not very effective, no?

Cheesestick on April 26, 2009 at 1:29 AM

during the part of the hearing i saw he also trotted out the AGW-Katrina link….pretty shameless guy

r keller on April 26, 2009 at 2:23 PM

Top Pick

Will they stay or will they go?

Top Pick

I can’t imagine what I was thinking when I said that

Rocking the boat majorly

Big government never contracts. It only grows more powerful

It’s only a “ban” until it becomes inconvenient

The decline and fall of Obamacare and the AHCA

Jazz Shaw Jun 24, 2017 8:31 AM

This was all over before it began

Fixing crime in America is a complicated issue

Taylor Millard Jun 23, 2017 8:31 PM

Cops alone won’t solve it.

Democrats forgot all about the “era of good feelings”

“Bernie and Jane Sanders have lawyered up.”

Winning isn’t everything. It is the only thing

Trump signs VA reform bill into law

John Sexton Jun 23, 2017 2:41 PM

A new era of something.

“…died suddenly in less than a week just after his return to the U.S.”

The shortsightedness of “Denounce and Preserve”

Taylor Millard Jun 23, 2017 12:11 PM

Pragmatism for the sake of pragmatism doesn’t always work.

Perhaps if you threw in a new car?

Gay marriages still growing, but not as fast

Andrew Malcolm Jun 23, 2017 10:31 AM

More, but not as quickly.

Should’ve stuck with the pirate gig. It was working for him

The battle for the rubble of Raqqa is underway

Andrew Malcolm Jun 23, 2017 8:51 AM

Won’t be much left.

Your list of demands is a publicity stunt

“The jobs are still leaving. Nothing has stopped.”

Bad vendor. Bad! No cookie!

“So you want me to sing my praises, is that what you’re saying?”

Why would we possibly want that?

“I mean he sold our country to The Russians.”

I could think of someone else you might want to ask about…

Trump: I never made any recordings of Comey

Allahpundit Jun 22, 2017 2:01 PM

Bluff.

Hackers stole private data from election databases

John Sexton Jun 22, 2017 1:21 PM

Failure to protect the city

Big man on the Middle Eastern campus