Green Room

Michelle More Popular Than Barack

posted at 8:04 pm on April 23, 2009 by

There are plenty of reasons for this. She’s been fairly quiet and gracious since her initial cringe-worthy, occasionally hilarious outbursts during the campaign — when every time she was scheduled to speak, it was like breathlessly waiting to open the first present on Christmas morning. And of course his numbers are falling.

Topping Barack Obama’s personal favorability ratings is not easy. A new report from the Pew Research Center for the People & the Press found 73 percent of Americans hold a favorable view of the President.

Yeah, I’m going to have to question those numbers, I’m afraid. But that’s a whole ‘nother issue. Anyhoo…

Michelle Obama is now viewed favorably by 76 percent of the public — up from 68 percent in early January. That gives her a personal favorability rating above the President’s and makes her substantially more popular than her predecessors, according to Pew data.

This is my favorite part:

Much of the increase in Mrs. Obama’s popularity has come from Republicans, particularly Republican women, Kohut said. Some 67 percent of Republican women now have a favorable view of Mrs. Obama, a gain of some 21 points since January.

We know what you guys think (please be civil, we have to police our own Green Room posts, and I have an itchy ‘unpublish’ finger) but I want to hear from the women of Hot Air. 67 percent?! Personally, I’m at the point where I can tolerate her, and I really just want to find her a decent stylist. But I don’t think that counts as “a favorable opinion.”

So, is she growing on you, ladies? Or has this columnist been sprinkling crack on his Cheerios?

Recently in the Green Room:

Comments

Member of the public, at the rope line, as Michelle and Barack pass by:

“You go, girl!”

“Why thank you.” Michelle smiles.

“Um, I was talking to Barack.”

:-)

coldwarrior on April 23, 2009 at 8:19 PM

So, is she growing on you, ladies?

Or has this columnist been sprinkling crack on his Cheerios?

For the first time in my adult life I am ashamed of Republican women.

Disturb the Universe on April 23, 2009 at 8:20 PM

I would hope that the public in general would be supportive of a woman with young girls who seems to doing a lot of nice things as First Lady. I will be interested to see how often she travels with the president in the future. I have a nagging feeling that The Won is not going to allow himself to be upstaged again. Europe was enough.

Cindy Munford on April 23, 2009 at 8:27 PM

Bo’s probably the most popular! BTW, did the survey include Kronos?

andycanuck on April 23, 2009 at 10:59 PM

You know what, as long as she minds her own business, does her First Lady gig with at least some modicum of class and dignity (for pity’s sake, girl, set up a meeting with the Protocol people!!) and doesn’t start acting like an elected official herself, I’m okay with her. Any Hillary-care nonsense out of her, though, and I’ll be all over that like white on rice.

Yes, I know she hates America and probably let terrorists babysit her children, etc… I listed all that stuff the other day in a post… But I’m not talking about what a deplorable person she is; about her character. I’m talking about her behavior since they took office. And it’s been pretty decent, aside from the gaffes.

Laura on April 23, 2009 at 11:30 PM

Just out of curiousity, Tanya… are you having to delete a lot of comments? Because it would be very… interesting… to learn that Hot Air commenters are more willing to be civil and refrain from really vile personal slams when it comes to Michelle Obama than they are when it comes to Meghan McCain.

(It’s one thing to say she’s an idiot, presumptuous, arrogant, vacuous, etc…. all insults related to her political behavior – fair game. But I’m talking about mean crap like “Porkchop Barbie.”)

Laura on April 23, 2009 at 11:38 PM

Does ‘favorable opinion’ mean that you don’t wish her any harm but you fervently wish she and hubby would take their 2 daughters and go back to Chicago forever? In that case, I have a favorable opinion of her.

I still enjoy making fun of her, though, and there is so much to make fun of.

TeeDee on April 24, 2009 at 12:32 AM

Just out of curiousity, Tanya… are you having to delete a lot of comments?

I haven’t yet, actually. But the comments in the Green Room have been much more civil in general than the main page. I didn’t have to delete any from my post about Meghan last week, either. (Although Allah was also patrolling that one, so maybe he caught something that I missed…)

Tanya on April 24, 2009 at 7:45 AM

Allahpundit said we couldn’t make fun of her looks. but i think she has a mean & evil demeanor.

and she has no raising based on her clothes selection, gifts to foreign dignitaries & actions before the Queen of England.

anything else i would write would be deleted.

kelley in virginia on April 24, 2009 at 7:48 AM

There is nothing like constant contact with the American people to make her realize that her former beliefs of her countryman was her problem and not the country’s. If you limit yourself to the company of haters, you can only be a hater. This nation is full of wonderful wonderful people and even those who do not share her ideology would probably treat her well and may even like her. I agree with Laura though, I hope she doesn’t dabble into legislation or running anything but their home. They already have “the smartest woman in the world” as SOS, it’s all we can handle.

Cindy Munford on April 24, 2009 at 8:21 AM

Eh, I’ve tried to ignore her. The whole digging-in-the-garden wearing leather boots and the way she dressed in Europe make me roll my eyes. The main problem, though, is the press drooling all over themselves every time they talk about her.

So, no, she’s certainly not growing on me, but my opinion isn’t getting any worse!

MamaAJ on April 24, 2009 at 9:04 AM

Frankly, my dear, I don’t give a damn.

BetseyRoss on April 24, 2009 at 4:40 PM

I’ll never forgive the “first time I’m proud of my country” horsecrap. There’s NOTHING she can do to make amends for that.

Liberty Girl on April 28, 2009 at 12:45 PM